Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shazier vid (with dope music, so crank it up)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Every time I watch Shazier, I think he looks like a S instead of a LB. Wonder if the Steelers will ask him to bulk up and I wonder how that will impact his speed?
    i'm hoping they'll try to Urlacher him... keep fatties in front of him and let him cause chaos
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Great in open spaces and has ability to AVOID blocks with speed and agility.
    My only concern is will he be able to shed BIG blockers.
    nail, meet hammer. To me, this is the ONLY concern. If the play is run AT him, can he stack and shed. NFL plays are run with the precision of if the defender runs around, he WON'T make a play.

If I'm the opposing team, i run right directly AT him. Let's hope McClendon requires a double team this year - might help free someone near the LOS to make plays run at him - I suspect we'll see a bunch early on.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    nail, meet hammer. To me, this is the ONLY concern. If the play is run AT him, can he stack and shed. NFL plays are run with the precision of if the defender runs around, he WON'T make a play.

If I'm the opposing team, i run right directly AT him. Let's hope McClendon requires a double team this year - might help free someone near the LOS to make plays run at him - I suspect we'll see a bunch early on.

Well said... Clearly, Shazier is a "run and hit" (Tomlinism) LB. The video reminds me a bit of Polamalu.... My concern is the same as others... how often does a 3-4 ILB get the ability to do that without someone laying a hand on him in the process? No matter what, he will need to stack and shed. He can't simply just run around blocks or play a freelancing type role. Like you said, teams will attack him by running straight at him.... not by running sweeps which is where he can utilize his "run and hit" attributes.

On a side note, we REALLY need better play at the NT position to keep guards off of him as much as possible.

Backup

User Info Menu

Much of this nervous bs applies to ANY inside LB. Lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    His speed is very impressive.. but his speed won't do much good if 330lb guards pile drive him into the turf.
    Happened with Lloyd too.......he was "not too shabby" don't ya think?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hes good in traffic though, guys like Ernie Simms and Alec Ogletree are very straight line fast but when you get a hand on them they are taken out of the play. He is

1) Very hard to get a hand on
    2) not useless if you do, able to slip out/around blocks
    3) Has a knack for weaving through traffic

It was said that the steelers coveted Mychal Kendricks out of cal a few years back....hes very fast and good in traffic, but shaziers speed is superior and from what ive seen so is his ability to diagnose a play and move around even when theres a bunch of bodies around.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Happened with Lloyd too.......he was "not too shabby" don't ya think?
    He was good.... but you are old enough to remember that Lloyd was an OLB right?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    Much of this nervous bs applies to ANY inside LB. Lol
    I disagree.... I never had a concern about Patrick Willis' ability to shed blocks on the inside. I wouldn't have as much concern with CJ Mosley's ability to shed blocks on the inside. I had different worries about Mosley but that wasn't one of them. Each LB is different. I am going to use the "show me" approach with Shazier and his ability to shed blocks on the inside. I know he'll be fine playing in space...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He was good.... but you are old enough to remember that Lloyd was an OLB right?
    Any LB can get buried by a 330 lb lineman on a running play...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Any LB can get buried by a 330 lb lineman on a running play...
    Exactly........!