Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL.com's Top 20 Players of the 2000's

Legend

User Info Menu

Post-football Fanny almost looks sick to me, but he insists he's healthy. I especially can't get over his chicken legs -- that just doesn't seem right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This list is stupid if Troy isn't in the top 10. Rediculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Faneca is one of seven former players (Sean Morey is another), who is strenously objecting to the concussion settlement:

Seven former players renew their objection to concussion settlement
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 4, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT

In May, seven former NFL players filed an objection to the proposed concussion settlement. Now that the NFL has removed the $675 million cap on benefits available to all retired players with a qualifying diagnosis, the seven players have renewed their objection. Strenuously.

Via ESPN.com, Sean Morey, Alan Faneca, Ben Hamilton, Robert Royal, Rock Cartwright, Jeff Rohrer, and Sean Considine submitted via counsel a 58-page document opposing the settlement, which they call a “lousy deal” for the players and “a great deal for the NFL and class counsel.”

The players contend among other things that the settlement came too soon.

“Investigation of the facts through discovery of the NFL’s internal files could yield powerful and compelling evidence of the NFL’s culpability — strengthening class counsel’s hand at the negotiating table,” the objection states. “Yet class counsel settled this case without taking a single deposition and without the NFL producing a single document.”

While the settlement indeed seems a little favorable to the league and a little restrictive to players, who’ll recover only if they can prove a severe cognitive impairment, the deal was struck at a time when many of the players’ claim could have been thrown out of court based on the argument that any relief must be pursued under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA. If the plaintiffs had decided to let it ride, there’s a chance that most of them would have gotten little or nothing.

The players also claim that the process for obtaining benefits is “so onerous and confusing that it raises due process as well as fairness concerns” and that the lawyers established “a procedural labyrinth designed to limit the number and amount of settlement payouts.”

Judge Anita Brody has yet to provide preliminary approval to the settlement. If she does, all players will have the right to opt out of the settlement and pursue their own claims. The seven players objecting to the current deal undoubtedly will.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/04/seven-former-players-renew-their-objection-to-concussion-settlement/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

You could argue from 07-10 that James Harrison was the best player in football period and deserves to be on the list because of that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You could argue from 07-10 that James Harrison was the best player in football period and deserves to be on the list because of that.
    I would second that motion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    This list is stupid if Troy isn't in the top 10. Rediculous.
    Does Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu Deserve To Be In the Hall of Fame?

by Brendan Driscoll

The topic of Troy Polamalu‘s Hall of Fame candidacy has been coming up over the past few days. Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette gave his breakdown of the battle Polamalu will have to get into the doors at Canton. Nice Pick, Cowher’s very own Kim Myers also mentioned this same topic in todays Steelers Morning Huddle. So with not much else going on in the NFL these days, I figured I’d put in my own two cents. First off, Troy Polamalu has always been one of my favorite Steelers player to watch over the past decade. So clearly I’m a little bit biased and think he’s a Hall of Fame player but I’ll try to reasonably explain why he is actually an HOF’er.

Fittipaldo brought up good points about the safety position in the Hall of Fame. Ronnie Lott was the last safety inducted to Canton and that happened in 2000. Lott played five years at cornerback however, so the last true safety to be inducted into the Hall was Paul Krause in 1998. It took voters 14 years to vote Krause in. The fact that safeties aren’t inducted often may be seen as in issue for Troy Polamalu but you could look at it another way and ask who has been playing the position since 2000 or so, and who hasn’t been inducted into the Hall of Fame? After looking at the All-Pro teams since 2000 you get a lot of names like, Roy Williams, Darren Sharper, Rodney Harrison, Bob Sanders, John Lynch and Brain Dawkins. Outside of Lynch and Dawkins the rest probably aren’t Hall of Famers nor were considered to be future HOF’ers while they were playing. Dawkins will not be eligible to for the HOF until 2017 and Lynch was a finalist in his second year of eligibility and will likely be inducted soon. Therefore I think the “no safeties get into the Hall of Fame” could be a little overstated.

The second argument against Polamalu is that he played in the same era as Ed Reed, who is considered one of the best safeties in NFL history. The issue for Troy would be that head-to-head Reed would likely enter the Hall over him. If you look at the stats that could be true. Reed has double the interceptions to Polamalu (64 to 32) and Reed has 13 total touchdowns compared to Polamalu’s five. Even if you look at awards the numbers a skewed slightly in favor of Reed. Polamalu has made eight Pro Bowls to Reed’s nine. Polamalu has been named to the All-Pro Team five times, Reed has done that eight times. They do both have one Defensive Player of the Year award though and Polamalu has one more Super Bowl title than Reed but we aren’t talking about quarterbacks where rings determine your legacy.

With all that being said about Reed having the advantage over Troy, I still don’t think it should hurt Polamalu’s chances of making the Hall of Fame. Those two guys are different players plain and simple. Reed was much more of a ball hawk than Polamalu, who affected the run game more and got after quarterbacks more often. Polamalu has 12 career sacks compared to Reed’s six. Troy Polamalu has played the position of safety unlike anyone else in the history of the league. The Tasmanian Devil has made plays throughout his career that hardly seemed possible. The interception against the Chargers in 2008 when he scooped the ball centimeters off the turf immediately comes to mind. Or the pick six in the 2008 AFC Championship game against the Ravens that secured a spot in Super Bowl XLIII. Personally I just believe that somebody who had the ability to change the game in numerous ways for a decade deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

[URL]http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/Does-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Troy-Polamalu-Deserve-To-Be-In-the-Hall-of-Fame-2-10058874[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

Post-football Fanny almost looks sick to me, but he insists he's healthy. I especially can't get over his chicken legs -- that just doesn't seem right.
    Double wow!

Legend

User Info Menu

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lol im sure theres pictures of Faneca where he didnt just run a marathon and look like an AIDS patient

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Doesn't Faneca's face look a lot like Lurch?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!