Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Football...err Soccer

Hall of Famer
    Soccers actually quite a physical sport...not to mention a grind. Imagine if the action on an NFL field never stopped between plays...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler
    I tried to watch. I tried to keep an open mind. I tried to see the 'chess match'. I asked questions. I talked to friends from overseas about strategy. I tried not to let it bother me when players flopped. I laughed when I saw a player get bit and his only response was to show his shoulder to the ref. I was confused why he didn't lay out the player who bit him.

I had ample opportunity to do all this - because during the games all that happens for near three hours is a ball going back and forth with little to show for it.

I tried to be respectful but found it laughable when the announcers refer a player as 'dangerous' because he scored a goal in the last world cup. I tried to embrace the suspense of a scoreless game - but when the clock ticks up instead of down and the end of the game isn't really the end at all, it replaced any manufactured suspense with indifference.

I've travelled the world. I am open minded and have embraced the cultures of the places I've visited. I can hang drinking vodka with russians in moscow, eating giraffe off the preserve in Nairobi and doing Tai Chi in Beijing.

Yet when it comes to soccer - no matter how hard I have tried, it just doesn't resonate with me. Little scoring, athletes who when they DO score act like it's the second coming of the messiah (and yes, I understand american players go crazy too - but they score A LOT), blatant flopping and in essence trying to cheat while proclaiming it's the ref's job to get the call right, it's just off-putting.

anyway, I tried.

What will I do to get by for the next 4 years..........?

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I tried to watch. I tried to keep an open mind. I tried to see the 'chess match'. I asked questions. I talked to friends from overseas about strategy. I tried not to let it bother me when players flopped. I laughed when I saw a player get bit and his only response was to show his shoulder to the ref. I was confused why he didn't lay out the player who bit him.

I had ample opportunity to do all this - because during the games all that happens for near three hours is a ball going back and forth with little to show for it.

I tried to be respectful but found it laughable when the announcers refer a player as 'dangerous' because he scored a goal in the last world cup. I tried to embrace the suspense of a scoreless game - but when the clock ticks up instead of down and the end of the game isn't really the end at all, it replaced any manufactured suspense with indifference.

I've travelled the world. I am open minded and have embraced the cultures of the places I've visited. I can hang drinking vodka with russians in moscow, eating giraffe off the preserve in Nairobi and doing Tai Chi in Beijing.

Yet when it comes to soccer - no matter how hard I have tried, it just doesn't resonate with me. Little scoring, athletes who when they DO score act like it's the second coming of the messiah (and yes, I understand american players go crazy too - but they score A LOT), blatant flopping and in essence trying to cheat while proclaiming it's the ref's job to get the call right, it's just off-putting.

anyway, I tried.

Flopping, little scoring and the ridicules celebrations after a goal make it laughable to me. I too show respect around those that take it serious. But I have to say, deep down, the game is completely stupid to me.... That is just my ignorant American opinion....

In a more up to the moment note, did anyone catch the Bucs vs. Dbacks game tonight?!?! To get completely dominated for 8 innings then come out in the 9th and score 3 runs to steal that game was great. Now, to me, THAT is exciting.

Benchwarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post

anyway, I tried.

I agree, It is incredibly boring and I understand the game just fine (honestly not much to it). Americans don't tune in to see great soccer, hell they probably couldn't tell you more than 1 guy on the team. Americans tune in because they feel its patriotic and we tell them its a big deal.

Hell yea, I tried to like the freaking sport too, but every time I watch, I feel the need to take a nap. Like this evening... I could see it now- A ref in the NFL comes out and and and whips out a card showing it to the crowd....and everyone laughing.....wtf. OK, now it's getting closer to seeing some real FOOTBALL.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    The World Cup is quite possibly the greatest sporting event on the planet. Unlike other sports that Americans play, like football, baseball and basketball, The Cup is truly a World sporting event. Much like the Olympics. It is watched by Americans because it's the best brand of soccer out there. It is watched by Americans because we want to see how we stack up against the best in the world. It has nothing to do with the media.

And I have no idea what "spectator sport for blind sheep" even means.

Can't stand it when people bash this sport because they don't understand it. It's the chess of sports.

...probably beyond your comprehension, though.
    I agree Americans watch it because we want to see how we stack up, the only thing I can't agree with is that it is the best brand of soccer out there. The best brand of soccer, for me anyhow is club soccer, Bayern-Munich, Barcelona, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester City, etc. What I love about the World cup is that every team has great players and every team has holes that they have to try and cover up which makes for exciting soccer and we have seen some really exciting soccer in this World Cup.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    Watching the US vs. Belgium match & they showed shots of the crowd - I'm certain I saw David DeCastro there...at his size & his features, it's hard to miss him.

Go Steelers! Go Team USA!
    How does Wondolowski miss in the 93rd minute and Jones in about the 118th minute? On the other hand, Tim Howard showed up to play!

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 07-01-2014 at 11:18 PM.

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    How does Wondolowski miss in the 93rd minute
    if Wondolowski doesn't miss from short range we're playing Argentina on Saturday in the Final 8...

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    How does Wondolowski miss in the 93rd minute and Jones in about the 118th minute? On the other hand, Tim Howard showed up to play!

Pappy

I was really sad for this two plays yesterday.

Tim Howard is a very good goalkeeper.

You know what's even sadder?

I am a poet and for me spring does not exist

I played soccer for a few years as a kid but I absolutely can't stand to watch it as an adult. Actually, I'd prefer to pay money to watch a local high school football game over getting free tickets and travel to a World Cup soccer game. I do have to agree with Man of Steel to some extent that if you turn your TV on to any kind of news lately that they are really jamming this World Cup stuff down our throats to the point of indoctrination. Call me unpatriotic or whatever you want but a part of me is happy to finally see the US get knocked out of it. Sorry.