Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deja Vu?

Legend

User Info Menu

Deja Vu?

There is something strangely familiar about this offseason. It seems we are doing a number of the successful move that have paid off in the Tomlin era....only better?

1. Looking at speed and drafting a very fast linebacker in the first
    2. Drafting an OSU player in the first familiar with the DL style defense (ok 1 and 2 both refer to Shazier)
    3. Drafting not very productive speedy 'one trick pony' deep threat receiver with a middle round pick
    4. Someone else mentioned this one. A receiver named "Brown" taken in the 6th a year ago after a more heralded receiver drafted in the third starting to make some noise `
    5. Under the radar free agent safety pickup to team up with Troy looking good as a Steeler
    6. Even going back to the Cowher era- acquire the leagues most powerful big back via free agency

I recall being skeptical of some of those guys, particularly Timmons and Wallace who I thought were just fast and not players. Did not hate the Wallace pick as it was a third rounder, but he was much better than I ever expected.

If I were to evaluate these players pre-Steeler I would rank:

Shazier MILES above Timmons BOTH as a player and a talent
    Wallace and Bryant, slight edge in BIG height difference over Wallaces fraction of a second speed edge of Wallace.
    Mitchell is like Ryan Clark with speed
    Blount....I dont expect a decade of greatness like Jerome but he brings that same brute power to the run game.

While we might be skeptical of some of these guys, dont forget we have HIT on these same 'types' before.

Save for Bettis and A Brown we had LESS reason to like the players who had success in the past than we do this new haul.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-01-2014 at 12:07 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I feel really good about the team this year. I like the youth they have brought in and the direction things are heading. We have an extremely versatile offense now, and an OC who I think is not afraid to do different things with those players. The defense I think can be the solid unit it once was, but that might take a few years for the young guys to get going. Hopefully the offense can win some shoot outs in the mean time, which it appears they have tooled up to do.

Things are cyclical. The offense was behind the defense, so they spent a few years pumping resources into the O while the D was solid but aging. Pouncy, Decastro, Gilbert, Adams, Bell, Wheaton, Wallace, Sanders, etc. Those were premium picks, and enough of them are paying dividends now to make something happen (along with the late round/UDFA gems that you always have to hope for - Brown, Foster, Beachum, Will Johnson).

Now the O is solid, the D was old and slow, so the pendulum swung back to D. Bringing in Mitchell, drafting Shazier, Tuitt, and Heyward. Now the problem on D right now - the late round guys haven't paid off as much as on O. We don't have good depth anywhere, but the talent is there in the starters.

I think, if they can keep guys around as old contracts come off the books, that a new window will be opening up where both the O and D are solid and have playmakers. The question is --- Will Ben still be healthy enough to make the wheels on the bus go round and round?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm happy that they've done enough positive things to give us solid hope. As a fan, that's the main thing entering a new season. Hope. A LOT of things have to go right to have a 2005/2008-like ending. But it's exciting to head into training camp and the season in a positive direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    There is something strangely familiar about this offseason. It seems we are doing a number of the successful move that have paid off in the Tomlin era....only better?

1. Looking at speed and drafting a very fast linebacker in the first
    2. Drafting an OSU player in the first familiar with the DL style defense (ok 1 and 2 both refer to Shazier)
    3. Drafting not very productive speedy 'one trick pony' deep threat receiver with a middle round pick
    4. Someone else mentioned this one. A receiver named "Brown" taken in the 6th a year ago after a more heralded receiver drafted in the third starting to make some noise `
    5. Under the radar free agent safety pickup to team up with Troy looking good as a Steeler
    6. Even going back to the Cowher era- acquire the leagues most powerful big back via free agency

I recall being skeptical of some of those guys, particularly Timmons and Wallace who I thought were just fast and not players. Did not hate the Wallace pick as it was a third rounder, but he was much better than I ever expected.

If I were to evaluate these players pre-Steeler I would rank:

Shazier MILES above Timmons BOTH as a player and a talent
    Wallace and Bryant, slight edge in BIG height difference over Wallaces fraction of a second speed edge of Wallace.
    Mitchell is like Ryan Clark with speed
    Blount....I dont expect a decade of greatness like Jerome but he brings that same brute power to the run game.

While we might be skeptical of some of these guys, dont forget we have HIT on these same 'types' before.

Save for Bettis and A Brown we had LESS reason to like the players who had success in the past than we do this new haul.
    Anyone still "hating" on Timmons needs their head examined. He's the most consistent performer on this defense and has been for several years now.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

These are some potential positives for the long haul.

I only expect Mitchell and Blount to have an immediate impact. We'll see with the rooks. I think Tuitt might have a bigger impact than Shazier in the short term.

This season is more about the continued development of the young guys. What step forward can our Oline take? Heyward, McClendon, Jarvis, Worilds, and Tez?

Those 10 players improvements will tell us how far this team can go. +Mitchell of course.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Tuitt might have a bigger impact than Shazier in the short term.
    I don't think so. I think Shazier is an every down backer from the start, while Tuitt is only a situational d-lineman early on in his career. I think Tuitt gets some play in the 4 man nickle or dime rush, but not in the 3 man standard DL formations just yet. Perhaps he surpasses Cam Thomas at some point during the season, but not from day one like Shazier.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Anyone still "hating" on Timmons needs their head examined. He's the most consistent performer on this defense and has been for several years now.
    Thats exactly my point. MANY PEOPLE hated the pick as he was looked at as a speedy athlete who did not dominate in college. We (self included) have been proven wrong. Critics SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT SHAZIER even though he did dominate in college. He is essentially everything great about Timmons only even faster and a far more proven productive player than Timmons was as a prospect.

I anticipate Shazier to be a cross between Timmons and Troy. I am VERY excited about this pick.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Thats exactly my point. MANY PEOPLE hated the pick as he was looked at as a speedy athlete who did not dominate in college. We (self included) have been proven wrong. Critics SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT SHAZIER even though he did dominate in college. He is essentially everything great about Timmons only even faster and a far more proven productive player than Timmons was as a prospect.

I anticipate Shazier to be a cross between Timmons and Troy. I am VERY excited about this pick.
    Ditto. I think the two of them together is potentially an example of 1+1=3. I just hope LeBeau shakes off the cobwebs enough to remeber what an inside blitz is versus the very predictable outside blitzes.

How about this for a prediction: Timmons and Shazier have more sacks than Jones!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ditto. I think the two of them together is potentially an example of 1+1=3. I just hope LeBeau shakes off the cobwebs enough to remeber what an inside blitz is versus the very predictable outside blitzes.

How about this for a prediction: Timmons and Shazier have more sacks than Jones!!!!!
    I too am concerned about Jones. I HOPE your prediction is WRONG. If you are right is won't be because our inside guys got double digit sacks. It will be the same reason the Timmons had more sacks than Jone LAST YEAR. Not a "good" thing.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

not sure anyone is still 'hating' on timmons now.
    the fact that he was picked way too early and did nothing the first few years was 'hate' warranted. now, its just his cap number.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown