Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor is 'pised off' he took $4.25M pay cut with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor is 'pised off' he took $4.25M pay cut with Steelers

Ike Taylor isn't happy about the size of his paychecks.

Back in March, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor agreed to a $4.25 million pay cut to help the Steelers make some room under the salary cap.

As you can imagine, Taylor wasn't too thrilled with taking the pay cut and he told Jim Rome all about it on Monday. Taylor was scheduled to make $7 million in 2014, but now will only pull in $2.75 million.

"I'm pissed off about it, still am pissed off about it and I'm going to be pissed off until the end of the season about it," Taylor said of taking the pay cut. "Did it hurt me? Hell yeah. Does it still hurt? Yeah, it hurts, but hopefully I can go in and bounce back this year, do what I need to do on the field and we will see what happens after."

You might be wondering why Taylor would agree to a pay cut if it was going to 'piss' him off so much. The 34-year-old has an explanation for that.

"I had seen a few guys who didn't take pay cuts and went to other teams and it didn't work out for them. So, at the end of the day, I didn't want to leave Pittsburgh, point blank, period," Taylor said. "Just hearing from other guys coming from other teams and being on the team with Pittsburgh, they say it's like no other; it's like day and night, so I'll listen."

Taylor has spent his entire 11-year career with the Steelers and he thought just maybe he should've been rewarded for his loyalty -- not asked to take a $4.25 million pay cut.

"It's like you get to a point, why me? Like, I didn't show my loyalty? I've been a good guy," Taylor said. "You want to talk about a guy who's going to come in in-shape, not waiting to build up into shape when he gets to camp. Or you want to talk about a guy who's unselfish and puts his team before his family and friends, you want to talk about a guy who has loyalty, yeah it's me. It's me you're talking about. When you come to me and ask me for a pay cut, I'm like 'Damn, out of all these people, you want to ask Ike.'"

Taylor started in all 16 games for the Steelers last season and he'll be playing in 2014 on a one-year deal. If Pittsburgh asks him to come back in 2015, you can bet he'll be expecting a small raise.

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24601893/ike-taylor-is-pissed-off-he-took-425m-pay-cut-with-steelers[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's a bad look for ike and I'm one of his biggest supporters

Declining performance in most businesses= a declining paycheck

Legend

User Info Menu

In Ike's eyes he feels loyalty supersede's talent.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

He is right to be pissed...who wants to lose $4+ million?

But, he learned his lesson from James Harrison and decided to stay...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I never did think Ike was the sharpest knife in the drawer. How did Ike go from "This new contract is great; it means I will retire a Steeler" to it pissing him off? Does he think his play last year was worth $7 mill a year moving forward? I think Ike is worth about what they are paying him this year, and, although he hopes for a stellar 2014 so he gets PAID next year, not many 35-year-old CBs get better when they turn 36. Ike has been a good player for this team, for a long time. But don't get things twisted.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    In Ike's eyes he feels loyalty supersede's talent.
    That's like when Clark said he wouldn't expect a pay decrease because he put in 100% effort in his play. Well, I know we could find endless guys who would put in 100% effort too, but that doesn't mean we should pay them top $ for their performance. If you ran a team basing pay on loyalty, you would quickly be the worst team in the league.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    That's like when Clark said he wouldn't expect a pay decrease because he put in 100% effort in his play. Well, I know we could find endless guys who would put in 100% effort too, but that doesn't mean we should pay them top $ for their performance. If you ran a team basing pay on loyalty, you would quickly be the worst team in the league.
    That's all well and good,but a lot of Steeler fans need to remember (I'm not picking on you beats) that it works both ways. When a player leaves for a bigger pay day,I don't care to hear the moaning about loyalty,and how greatful they should be to be a Steeler.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's just his way of motivating himself. Keep the fire burning.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm a huge Ike fan. No doubt he feels a little chippy about the haircut, but if he did not take it it was very possible the Steelers would think seriously about having to cut him. Personally, I think he could have gotten a bigger 1 yr deal on the open market, but his desire to retire a Steeler obviously factored into his decision.

Playing the loyalty card is a bit douchey of Ike though.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    That's all well and good,but a lot of Steeler fans need to remember (I'm not picking on you beats) that it works both ways. When a player leaves for a bigger pay day,I don't care to hear the moaning about loyalty,and how greatful they should be to be a Steeler.
    It totally works both ways. But the Steelers simply made an offer they thought was more fair at a time when they did need to find cap space to make other prudent decisions. Ike could have said no to the deal and hit the open market. If anything, I think they Steelers remain a little too loyal to certain players and keep them for 1 year longer than they should.