Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor is 'pised off' he took $4.25M pay cut with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

I could be wrong but I think some in the media and on here are taking Ike's words incorrectly. My take on it is that he's using it as motivation. He's not at all happy that the team no longer feels he's worth $7M. I think he's pissed off, not at the Steelers per-se, but just pissed off in general and wants to prove that he's worth more than $2M as a corner. Anyone competitive would be pissed off by taking such a big pay cut. But again, I don't think it's that he blames the Steelers or even feels that the cut is unfair at this point in his career. I don't think he's asking or expecting anyone to feel sorry for him nor is he talking like Ryan Clark in hopes of pursuing an after-football gig. I think it's just Ike being competitive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I could be wrong but I think some in the media and on here are taking Ike's words incorrectly. My take on it is that he's using it as motivation. He's not at all happy that the team no longer feels he's worth $7M. I think he's pissed off, not at the Steelers per-se, but just pissed off in general and wants to prove that he's worth more than $2M as a corner. Anyone competitive would be pissed off by taking such a big pay cut. But again, I don't think it's that he blames the Steelers or even feels that the cut is unfair at this point in his career. I don't think he's asking or expecting anyone to feel sorry for him nor is he talking like Ryan Clark in hopes of pursuing an after-football gig. I think it's just Ike being competitive.
    I dunno. From what Ike said, it sounds to me like he's ticked off at the Steelers:

Taylor has spent his entire 11-year career with the Steelers and he thought just maybe he should've been rewarded for his loyalty -- not asked to take a $4.25 million pay cut.

"It's like you get to a point, why me? Like, I didn't show my loyalty? I've been a good guy," Taylor said. "You want to talk about a guy who's going to come in in-shape, not waiting to build up into shape when he gets to camp. Or you want to talk about a guy who's unselfish and puts his team before his family and friends, you want to talk about a guy who has loyalty, yeah it's me. It's me you're talking about. When you come to me and ask me for a pay cut, I'm like 'Damn, out of all these people, you want to ask Ike.'"
    Sounds as though he thinks loyalty is more important than production...and it might be in some fields...but not in the NFL (Not-For-Long).
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 07-02-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike's opinion of his performance last season and the current level of his skills is certainly not a subjective one. The vast majority (if not all) of professional athletes think they are great and don't recognize it as their abilities diminish. They've spent their whole lives being one of the best athletes on any team or inside their group of friends.

I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it was Aaron Smith who admitted he wouldn't know when it was time to retire and the Steelers would have to tell him. I'm sure Ike sees this as a slight. But it's much ado about nothing. He assessed his situation and made the decision to come back. And it sounds as if he gave it a lot of thoughtful consideration.

Starter

User Info Menu

Has Ike ever made the Pro Bowl? I'm thinking he hasn't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Has Ike ever made the Pro Bowl? I'm thinking he hasn't.
    can't catch... he is a beast for us but he has always been slightly above average when compared to the best CB's due to his hands

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    can't catch... he is a beast for us but he has always been slightly above average when compared to the best CB's due to his hands
    I thought it was interesting that last season was the first time since Ike was a rookie that he did not record an interception. He had 5 seasons with 1 INT, 3 seasons with 2 INT's, and 1 season with 3 INT's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Why wouldn't he be pissed? He made an agreement with the team and they basically told him he wasn't worth it anymore. That doesn't usually inspire a "gee, shucks guys, thanks for keeping me around" response.

only a total idiot signs an NFL contract and thinks 'every penny will be paid to me'
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know we all make fun of Ike for his stone hands - but does anyone else remember he used to return kicks for us?
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I know we all make fun of Ike for his stone hands - but does anyone else remember he used to return kicks for us?
    Yup...55 career kick returns (20.8 avg). What is mindblowing is that the coaches also sent him and his stone hands out there twice to return punts (he had one 19 yards PR in 2005 and one fair catch in 2006).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib:

Have zero problem with Ike Taylor being upset about a 60 percent pay cut. But nobody wants to hear athlete complaining about making millions

One thing pro players never seem to understand is they CANNOT complain about money.That's no win argument with most fans, even if it's legit

[URL]https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib[/URL]