Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers OLB Jarvis Jones had false hype, now he has real experience

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    there was an amazing video posted back then showing timmons getting absolutely crushed, especially vs the run. He was horrible his rookie year and into his second...but really he was drafted to replace porter despite being the damn near perfect WILL backer....he really grew into his position after adding 30 pounds and just becoming a hammer of a MLB who can run stride for stride with just about anyone.

There was also a video of Frank summers "blocking" and by blocking i mean face planting into the turf

Jones will be fine
    I also think Jones will be "fine" (our definitions may differ because to me that is average) and as much fun as it is to stir up his "boy toys" but my legitimate hesitation and concern about Jones is captured in your one statement about Timmons that I don't see in Jones and didn't see in college either

hammer of a MLB who can run stride for stride with just about anyone.
    Jones' lack of speed and burst required to get around the best OT does concern me greatly and it is why I have concern that he is best suited for playing the premier Right OLB position that is most importnat to generating a dominant pass rush. I've always given Jones his due for being tenacious and playing with a high motor but not sure that helps much when a 320lb OT has you locked up and you can't get around him.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I also think Jones will be "fine" (our definitions may differ because to me that is average) and as much fun as it is to stir up his "boy toys" but my legitimate hesitation and concern about Jones is captured in your one statement about Timmons that I don't see in Jones and didn't see in college either

Jones' lack of speed and burst required to get around the best OT does concern me greatly and it is why I have concern that he is best suited for playing the premier Right OLB position that is most importnat to generating a dominant pass rush. I've always given Jones his due for being tenacious and playing with a high motor but not sure that helps much when a 320lb OT has you locked up and you can't get around him.
    It will hurt him some but harrison wasnt the fasted guy either (i do understand that his strength was unreal for anyone, let alone a 5-10 240 pound LB) but i think jones motor is going to be what makes him special...i think he will be a high turnover guy and at least a double digit sack guy. He showed the ability to drop back, set the edge against the run fairly well, now it really is all about reacting instead of thinking which comes with time.

At the end of the day Jarvis Jones will be a better and more productive player than Jason Worilds and it wont even be close

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    At the end of the day Jarvis Jones will be a better and more productive player than Jason Worilds and it wont even be close
    See, this is where we may disagree. I see Jones as another Worilds and don't expect that he reaches double digit sacks on a consistent basis. I REALLY DO hope I'm wrong because if I'm not we have real problems.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

See, this is where we may disagree. I see Jones as another Worilds and don't expect that he reaches double digit sacks on a consistent basis. I REALLY DO hope I'm wrong because if I'm not we have real problems.
    I see Jones as more of a Joey Porter light. Despite his lack of speed, Jones has some quickness and he also seems to have very good instincts. I can see him being an effective guy in coverage (Porter was actually a pretty good coverage guy) who ends up with 8-10 sacks per year. I doubt that he becomes the terror off the edge that Harrison was in his prime (few are), but I think that he will end up as an asset. I'm certainly willing to wait another year.

I think that too much is made of a slow 40 time...as was pointed out, both Terrell Suggs and Vontaze Burfict ran 40 times as slow or slower than Jones...

What Jones needed was two things:

1) Learn the defense

2) Pass-rushing technique

Experience and a full-offseason took care of #1...the hiring of Joey Porter took care of #2...

The fact that he worked out and got stronger is a bonus...he was already strong as evidenced by his ability to set the edge against the run...

Legend
    based off of a rookie season? LOL...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I see Jones as another Worilds
    I think the lack of quality stats during his rookie season could be due to him being Young and Restless.

I think he could improve greatly in year two, though...the transformation in his game could be considered to be Bold and Beautiful.

Of course, this is provided that he doesn't get injured and spent too much time in General Hospital.

If he lives up to billing, we could be looking at a Dynasty.

If not, we could always trade him to Dallas.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think the lack of quality stats during his rookie season could be due to him being Young and Restless.

I think he could improve greatly in year two, though...the transformation in his game could be considered to be Bold and Beautiful.

Of course, this is provided that he doesn't get injured and spent too much time in General Hospital.

Stay at home today and channel surfing??????

Stay at home today and channel surfing??????
    Yes. The television is his Guiding Light.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Ruthless, you bring WAY TOO MUCH DRAMA to this board.