Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Steelers have the best overall RB unit?

Most teams in the league have a good 1-2 punch. I don't think that Bell/Blount are even close to the best 1-2 in the league, and I also don't think that the Steelers have anywhere close to the best group of RBs. I do think that the Steelers have a solid group of RBs, with a ground game that you need to respect. And I like Bell and think he will continue to improve.

I think this group has the potential to be the best trio in the league but lets see how it plays out this season.

I think they will be a very good 1-2 punch as it stands now. What will make them the best, is how the O-Line develops under Munchak. As is, that run game will make Ben that much more deadly.

Well i think they have the biggest top 2 and the fastest #3

I guess we'll see if that translates to best lol

Pro Bowler
    im not sure if having the best stable of rbs equates to much in the nfl.
    only 1 can carry the ball at a time.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

I think the answer to this debate hinges entirely on the improvement of the Offensive Line play. Blount had a banner year in NE, but he also enjoyed some top notch blocking there and the dual threat of Brady throwing it around. Granted he enjoys the dual threat advantage here with Ben, but he OL is the variable of concern in this equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think this group has the potential to be the best trio in the league but lets see how it plays out this season.
    I like Bell, don't get me wrong, but I don't see that upside from this group. I don't see Bell being up there with the likes of McCoy, Peterson, Ray Rice (circa 2012) or any of those types of backs. He is good and I think he can be very good, but I don't think he'll be great.

And that's not really a knock on him. Just an objective evaluation. Put differently, if the Eagles offered to swap backfields, would you? I'd do it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I like Bell, don't get me wrong, but I don't see that upside from this group. I don't see Bell being up there with the likes of McCoy, Peterson, Ray Rice (circa 2012) or any of those types of backs. He is good and I think he can be very good, but I don't think he'll be great.

And that's not really a knock on him. Just an objective evaluation. Put differently, if the Eagles offered to swap backfields, would you? I'd do it in a second.
    I think Bell could easily be in Fortes league, which is the top running back hes most similar to in running style and receiving ability. Id say thats top 5-7 as far as RBs go

Realisitcally his game is also a lot like Shaun Alexanders too in some ways. A guy that could run for 1000-1500 yards and catch 40-60 passes. Peterson has always been in a class of his own, mccoy and charles are among the elite RBs but I do certainly think bell could compete with Forte, Rice, Gore, Lynch ect....that next tier of guys

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Give him some blocking and get back with me. I think he is a 1300 yard back with another 300 in receiving. Honestly, I'm not sure I would swap with anyone at this point. We have the two backs that I have wanted. Both of these guys I like very much. Like others have said, if the OL gels it's going to be lights out.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Give him some blocking and get back with me. I think he is a 1300 yard back with another 300 in receiving. Honestly, I'm not sure I would swap with anyone at this point. We have the two backs that I have wanted. Both of these guys I like very much. Like others have said, if the OL gels it's going to be lights out.
    I would swap Bell and Blount for McCoy. He is familiar with our field and facilities as well...