Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressions from the Philadelphia Debacle

Impressions from the Philadelphia Debacle

I was fortunate enough to have a friend of mine with season tickets invite me to tonight's game. Upon meeting him, he lets me know that we aren't using his seats, but are instead using his firm's seats - directly on the 50 yard line and 11 rows back on the Steelers' sideline. Suddenly, a change in career paths seems appealing.

A few random observations:

- Joey Porter is insanely intense, even as a coach. He's almost always lined up directly on the LOS to watch the play.

- Justin Brown stinks. He gets no separation and, despite his size, does nothing as a blocker.

- The Steelers need to be more creative with Dri Archer. They can't just throw bubble screens and picks to him. He did run one legit route, but the Eagles were in his face and all over the short stuff. Haley will need to be more creative.

- After the first Mark Sanchez TD drive, Joey Porter was the first to light into the defense. Then, DL started to assemble the entire D, and Troy screamed at everybody. I've never seen Troy get that fired up. His anger continued to show when he drilled the rb for a 5 yard loss on the next series, but apparently, he is the only one with any pride.

- After the second Sanchez TD drive (WTF!?) Shazier and Mitchell got into a big yelling match. Porter separated the two and tried to cool Mitchell down.

- I'm not a fan of Mitchell thus far. Reminds me of Anthony Smith. Obnoxious and chippy but without the play to back it up.

- I wanted to like Brad Wing, but he stinks. The Johnny Football of punters. After one of his terrible punts, he immediately started making excuses to the special teams coach, seemingly trying to explain somebody about the snap. However, even in warm-ups before the second half, while he boomed a few, he also added a few more shanks.

- DHB continually got separation. Sure, he is a body catcher, but he gets separation, can block and is a good ST player. I'd take him over Justin Brown for the 5th WR and it isn't close.

- The starting offensive line sat together as a unit on the bench, often lined up from left to right. I like the cohesiveness.

- Mauro had his shoulder wrapped - seems like he got banged up.

thanks philly for your up close perspective, sorry it wasn't a winning game for the Steelers.

and you should definitely consider that career change...

I'm sure Haley has more plays for Dri, etc..... It's just a preseason game... Everyone (not you, philly, but many others on here) is getting all up tight over a freaking preseason game.

Eagles have a very good team. Glad that the Steelers got to play against such a good team early on.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler
    Justin Brown blows.

Antonio
    Wheaton
    Moore/DHB depending on the situation
    Archer

Bryant doesnt dress

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I'm sure Haley has more plays for Dri, etc..... It's just a preseason game... Everyone (not you, philly, but many others on here) is getting all up tight over a freaking preseason game.
    It's the pattern I'm concerned about. The last couple of years, we've heard, "Relax, it's just a preseason game..." And then, the sloppy, unfocused performance has carried over into the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Eagles have a very good team. Glad that the Steelers got to play against such a good team early on.....
    Or was it the Steelers' poor performance, in part, that caused the Eagles to look so "good"?

At this point, the Steelers didn't need to play a hungry and very good football team, they were manhandled and the tempers on the sideline show it. It's not like they lost to a Bill Walsh west coast, beat you with scheme football team, they were physically beaten by a better prepared, better conditioned, better physically football team.

My question is this: What do you do in the 4th preseason game? Do the starters get anything to try and go into the regular season on a positive note? Or, do you limit the damage to the Eagles game and sit them? On one hand you want them to gain momentum, but you also run the risk of making things worse.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    It's the pattern I'm concerned about. The last couple of years, we've heard, "Relax, it's just a preseason game..." And then, the sloppy, unfocused performance has carried over into the regular season.
    That's simply not true. Bad preseason (0-4) last year, 8-8 finish to regular season. Good preseason the prior year (3-1), 8-8 finish to regular season after losing 2 of first 3 games. Stop pretending preseason has anything to do with the regular year.

Pro Bowler
    Preseason or not, last night's game was concerning.

Pro Bowler
    I think you sit the experienced starters with the intentions of letting the young guys and rotational guys play a lot. Let Mccullers start the game, see how he holds up and let him earn some playing time. Let Tuitt Start, maybe just cut that pussy Cam Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    At this point, the Steelers didn't need to play a hungry and very good football team, they were manhandled and the tempers on the sideline show it. It's not like they lost to a Bill Walsh west coast, beat you with scheme football team, they were physically beaten by a better prepared, better conditioned, better physically football team.

My question is this: What do you do in the 4th preseason game? Do the starters get anything to try and go into the regular season on a positive note? Or, do you limit the damage to the Eagles game and sit them? On one hand you want them to gain momentum, but you also run the risk of making things worse.

Pappy
    No reason to do much with the starters in the 4th preseason game. Even if they play & perform, it won't be against the opponents # 1's, so nothing really to gain.