I was fortunate enough to have a friend of mine with season tickets invite me to tonight's game. Upon meeting him, he lets me know that we aren't using his seats, but are instead using his firm's seats - directly on the 50 yard line and 11 rows back on the Steelers' sideline. Suddenly, a change in career paths seems appealing.
A few random observations:
- Joey Porter is insanely intense, even as a coach. He's almost always lined up directly on the LOS to watch the play.
- Justin Brown stinks. He gets no separation and, despite his size, does nothing as a blocker.
- The Steelers need to be more creative with Dri Archer. They can't just throw bubble screens and picks to him. He did run one legit route, but the Eagles were in his face and all over the short stuff. Haley will need to be more creative.
- After the first Mark Sanchez TD drive, Joey Porter was the first to light into the defense. Then, DL started to assemble the entire D, and Troy screamed at everybody. I've never seen Troy get that fired up. His anger continued to show when he drilled the rb for a 5 yard loss on the next series, but apparently, he is the only one with any pride.
- After the second Sanchez TD drive (WTF!?) Shazier and Mitchell got into a big yelling match. Porter separated the two and tried to cool Mitchell down.
- I'm not a fan of Mitchell thus far. Reminds me of Anthony Smith. Obnoxious and chippy but without the play to back it up.
- I wanted to like Brad Wing, but he stinks. The Johnny Football of punters. After one of his terrible punts, he immediately started making excuses to the special teams coach, seemingly trying to explain somebody about the snap. However, even in warm-ups before the second half, while he boomed a few, he also added a few more shanks.
- DHB continually got separation. Sure, he is a body catcher, but he gets separation, can block and is a good ST player. I'd take him over Justin Brown for the 5th WR and it isn't close.
- The starting offensive line sat together as a unit on the bench, often lined up from left to right. I like the cohesiveness.
- Mauro had his shoulder wrapped - seems like he got banged up.