Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Steelers have the best overall RB unit?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, Adrian Peterson, Shady McCoy, and Jamaal Charles are simply on a different tier than the rest of the RB's in the NFL right now.
    all you have to do is look at the highlights of Shady...

I'm still pissed we passed on him since we saw him every day. I like Bell but he won't ever be on Shady's level.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    How would you know?

Do any of those guys run behind the Steelers OL? Give Bell some blocking (which he hasn't had since high school) and watch him work.
    Um, it's a message board. None of us know anything. But from what I've seen watching Bell play, nothing screams out to me that he is anywhere near being in the Peterson/McCoy/Charles group.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Um, it's a message board. None of us know anything. But from what I've seen watching Bell play, nothing screams out to me that he is anywhere near being in the Peterson/McCoy/Charles group.
    Bell is a move the chains RB...

Those 3 are CHANGE the game RB's

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    What I am saying is that you are not comparing apples to apples.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Bell is a move the chains RB...

Those 3 are CHANGE the game RB's
    If Bell gets some blocking this year, he will change games.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Making the Leap, No. 4: Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Published: July 8, 2014

Around The League will profile the top 25 players we see Making the Leap in 2014. No. 4 on the list: Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell.

Why Bell is on the list

It's easy to see why the Steelers were so eager to make Le'Veon Bell a key part of their gameplan during the running back's rookie season.

Bell missed the first three weeks of the season while recovering from a foot sprain, but immediately took on a heavy workload upon his debut. The Steelers found different ways to get the ball in the hands of their 2013 second-round pick -- screens, direct snaps, draws, go routes. Bell's versatility makes him a true three-down back.

Bell's abilities jump out at you on tape. He's a sleek, powerful runner with quick feet, special cutting ability and good vision. He routinely turned 1-yard losses into 7-yard gains. His confidence built as the season wore on: He averaged 4.0 yards per carry in his final five games after averaging 3.2 yards in his first eight games.

The Steelers delivered an uncharacteristic offensive performance in 2014, ranking 27th in the league in rushing. That will change this season, and you can buy in on the talk from coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley that the Steelers are going to commit to the run.

That's very good news for Bell, who's going to eat even with some new company on the running back depth chart. Talent plus opportunity are intersecting here. Bell is set up for big things.

Obstacles

LeGarrette Blount shouldn't be dismissed as a threat to take touches from Bell. Blount signed for clear backup money in free agency, but he was also easily the best running option the New England Patriots had by the end of last season. Look no further than Blount's 166-yard, four-touchdown playoff performance against the Indianapolis Colts in January. The big man can make plays, and he'll be a tempting red-zone option for Haley.

We also expect some action for Dri Archer, the team's third-round pick and the fastest player in the 2014 draft class. Archer's upside as a rookie is in the return game and perhaps as a gadget player on offense. Bell and Blount will carry the day if they can stay healthy.

Speaking of which, Bell missed a month with a mid-foot sprain last season, then suffered a nasty-looking concussion on Thanksgiving night in Baltimore. Both injuries are in the rearview, but they warrant mentioning.

2014 expectations

On the right, you can watch video of Bell's first pro touchdown. The play offers a nice snapshot of his skill set. Bell makes a Viking defender miss in the backfield, knowingly bounces to the outside, then uses his speed to get to the pylon. Phil Simms, calling the game for CBS, remarked of the play: "Everything you want in a running back we saw that time."

More Bell athleticism on display: Week 16 at Lambeau, Bell busts into the second level, leap frogs a defender, then carries multiple Packers defenders to the turf for a 25-yard gain. Have I mentioned Bell is fun to watch?

The Steelers plan to lean on the type of fast-paced approach that sparked an offensive surge for the team in the back end of last season. Bell's abilities as a blocker and receiver should keep him on the field consistently.

Even with Blount getting his share, Bell will be a major centerpiece of Pittsburgh's offense in '14. We expect him to clear 300 touches. He could exceed that benchmark easily. A healthy Bell can clear 1,300 rushing yards, 70 receptions and 12 total touchdowns.

That's star production from a potentially special player.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000363859/article/making-the-leap-no-4-steelers-rb-leveon-bell[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

70 receptions? Everything else seems achievable but that seems a touch overestimated.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he had 45 on 66 targets last season missing 3 games and being a rookie...70 is the high side but achievable.

Would love to see a competant RB screen game

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah like I said 2000 yards all purpose is not out of the realm of possibility. That puts Bell into that elite category...even if he doesn't have a cool nickname like "Shady"
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hes not going to have the big highlights like Peterson, Mccoy, and Charles because hes just not that fast or shifty. But he is versatile and if he can be a guy that is just a nightmare to stop, thats fine with me.

Its demoralizing if you are the defense and no matter what you do a guy like bell (and blount) get 5 yards per play on you. Wont see many 80 yard runs, but could very well see some real ground production and guys that can wear down a defense which has just been completely missing for a few years now