Thread: Johnny Manziel not on Steelers' radar

Legend

User Info Menu

Johnny Manziel not on Steelers' radar

PITTSBURGH -- As polarizing a figure as Johnny Manziel is, he can probably get Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers fans to agree on one thing.

The majority of fans on both sides would love to see him start Sept. 7 when the Browns visit Heinz Field for the regular-season opener between the bitter rivals.

Steelers season-ticket holders would pay double to see the quarterback who reached celebrity status before throwing his first NFL pass receive a baptism/comeuppance from Dick LeBeau’s defense.

Browns fans might be just as eager to see Manziel in Pittsburgh, though obviously for a different reason.

The Browns have gone through quarterbacks at an alarming rate since the NFL returned to Cleveland in 1999. They desperately need someone to stop the cycle, and Browns fans might want to see if Manziel can conjure up the magic that made him a legend at Texas A&M right from the start -- even if the circumstances for his NFL debut in Pittsburgh could be a recipe for disaster.

Manziel, speaking to Browns reporters at the NFL Rookie Symposium, said his goal is to start this season. But the former Heisman Trophy winner conceded that he is still well behind Brian Hoyer, who will enter training camp as the No. 1 quarterback.

I asked a handful of Steelers defensive starters before the end of offseason practices whether they would like to see Manziel under center for the season opener, and I didn’t get much more than a collective shrug of the shoulders.

“It don’t matter,” veteran cornerback Ike Taylor said. “We’re trying to win ballgames. It doesn’t matter who is at quarterback.”

Mike Mitchell agreed.

“To be honest I just want someone that’s going to throw me a pick,” the Steelers free safety said. “I don’t really care who it is. I want the quarterback that’s the most confident, the most prepared, so when I take it from him, no excuses. That’s what I want every week.”

Defensive end Cameron Heyward played his college ball at Ohio State, so he can understand, even if only to some degree, the scrutiny Manziel is already under in the Buckeye state.

“It’s tough. Everybody’s looking for him to mess up,” Heyward said. “He’s a great player. I wish him the best.”

So, would Heyward like to get the first crack at Johnny Football, so to speak?

“Whoever’s in there I’m going to have fun either way,” Heyward said with a smile.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7339/johnny-manziel-not-on-steelers-radar?ex_cid=espnapi_public[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm really starting to like this Mitchell guy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Before he ever played a single down? I will reserve my love for when he is helping us win games, and I think he will. The one thing he brings over Clark is his desire to actually pick the ball off. Ryan used to express that he values a hard hit more than a pick, and he certainly played like it, which, at one time had some value, but doesn't any longer in a league where almost any hard hit is flagged. That diminishes Clark's value greatly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    That's what stood out for me from the article.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Before he ever played a single down?
    Dude has 5 NFL seasons under his belt, so we have an idea about what this guy is capable of at this level...it's not as if he is some green rookie out there.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

He will be on the Steelers radar
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Dude has 5 NFL seasons under his belt, so we have an idea about what this guy is capable of at this level...it's not as if he is some green rookie out there.
    True, but I will "really start to like him" after he makes plays for the Steelers.