Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can THIS team contend with top AFC teams right NOW?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Can THIS team contend with top AFC teams right NOW?

As we all know, with the NFL these days teams can come out of no where to make the play offs the following year. KC was the team who did that last year. True, they weren't ever as good as their 9-0 start, but they certainly were better than the teams prior to 2013. (They still need a QB and a few more play makers on offense.)

So, can the Steelers expect to be right there with the top AFC teams?

Fist of all, who likely are the contenders?

Denver - Super Bowl collapse and all, they are a likely AFC contender to make it to the Super Bowl again. Not only are they most returning with all the significant players (Knowson Moreno wasn't one of them), but they added some big names as well, including Ware. If we are going to beat these guys, we better have 5 good DBs going against them. And we better get pressure on Manning. We have beat him in the play offs before, we could do it again, but we will be a pass rush.

Pats - It's as simple as this: As long as they got Brady and Belichick, they are dangerous. I thought their draft was terrible though and they really give Brady barely anything to work with.

KC - If they still have the same QB, we can beat them.

Ravens - If they get the rushing game going again, they could still be a threat. Will they? Their D was still respectable, their O was terrible and they drafted heavy on D?

I think it's possible we can contend with the best the AFC has to offer this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers can beat anyone in the AFC except the Broncos. They would be able to beat the Broncos if their pass rush improves significantly.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think the Steelers can beat anyone in the AFC except the Broncos. They would be able to beat the Broncos if their pass rush improves significantly.
    Improved pass rush and better DB play. I forgot to mention the Colts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Better DB play would be nice but you can beat Manning with just a rush. If you hit him under the chin strap, his game is shot.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If not for a completely botched FG attempt (by the players, coaches, and officials), we would have made the AFC playoffs last year at 8-8, while 10-6 wasn't enough to get Arizona in the playoffs in the NFC last year. Right now, the AFC sucks, which means that we are a legit contender in the AFC right now. If we were in the superior NFC, we'd be a bottom tier team right now, though.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If not for a completely botched FG attempt (by the players, coaches, and officials), we would have made the AFC playoffs last year at 8-8, while 10-6 wasn't enough to get Arizona in the playoffs in the NFC last year. Right now, the AFC sucks, which means that we are a legit contender in the AFC right now. If we were in the superior NFC, we'd be a bottom tier team right now, though.
    As things seemingly stand now, you are right. But that could change as soon as this year. For all our bitching about our D, it was actually a little better than middle of the pack, and with our additions (Shazier, Tuitt, Mitchell, improved JJ) we could easily be a top 10 D if not higher. And the O definitely could be top 10 - maybe top 5. I think on a good day, this team could beat a top NFC team. We have a shot at #7!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've not been a blind optimist in these last few years, but I think we are under the radar, as a "good team". Most people consider us also-rans.

I think it is realistic to think we are a playoff team (not the case the last couple years, what with our OLD defense. A LOT of people here were poo-poohing that notion, when Sapp parroted it way back in '11. It was true.)
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That depends...are the Steelers facing Peyton during the regular season or playoffs? I say no way the Steelers can beat him in the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    That depends...are the Steelers facing Peyton during the regular season or playoffs? I say no way the Steelers can beat him in the regular season.
    That's awesome. Terry Bradshaw would be so proud.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think they nature of the questions leans towards playing them in the play offs. I mean, after all, who cares if we win against these teams in the regular season but not in the play offs? I could see Pgh beating Manning in the play offs again. Hey, if we play up there, at least we won't have to sit our starting FS this time around.