Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes LeBoo's D so darn complicated?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What makes LeBoo's D so darn complicated?

I mean, really, how complex can it be?

Why is it that no rookie has the ability to understand it?

Like, this play, you rush the QB. If the TE goes out for a pass, you cover him in this D. If a RB goes to the flat, you cover him. On this play, you blitz.

How can it be that complicated? And if it is, why? Maybe at one time LeBoo's system was tricking people and worth being so complex. But it's obviously not fooling anyone, anymore, so why do it?

SIMPLIFY.

How many times have you ever heard, "The D/O has improved because they made it much more complicated?"

I never hear that, but I have heard, "They improved the D by making it less complex," a myriad of times.

KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

I honestly feel that they make it super complex to feed their ego. Too complex for others to soak in equates to LeBoo must be super smart.

KISS.

Now that Rooney put his wing tip up LeBoo's rear to get rookies on the field, he has no choice but to make it simple enough for the rookies to grasp.

KISS, and watch how much better they will play.

Stop the rush. Get to the passer, and everything else will work its way out.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I doubt that it is any more complicated than most defenses in the NFL...I would imagine that the fact that it is based upon a zone blitz instead of using a ZB as a situational package may make responsibilities more difficult...

But, regardless of imaginary wing tips or no, the D won't simplify too much more than he simplified it last year...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I doubt that it is any more complicated than most defenses in the NFL...I would imagine that the fact that it is based upon a zone blitz instead of using a ZB as a situational package may make responsibilities more difficult...

But, regardless of imaginary wing tips or no, the D won't simplify too much more than he simplified it last year...
    Well, I think this much we know: However more simple it needs to be made for rookies to play, that will happen. If it doesn't need simplified at all, then so be it. But Rooney launching the wing tip must have happened. I think the signs on the wall that he put an end to the whole "rookies can't play" BS that has been going on all these years. If you are correct, in that most Ds are just as complicated, I don't know how so many other teams find ways for rookies to play well on D. Kiko Alonzo was a rookie for Buffalo and all he did was make 159 tackles and pick off 4 passes. Those are the kinds of #s we should expect from Shazier.

Legend

User Info Menu

On any given play, each player on the Defense could react several different ways according to the play called on D and the way the offense lines up. Its not so cut and dry.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe it's only about learning the defense. Adjusting to the speed of the game at the highest level seems to be the first obstacle. Defensive players also need to adjust and deal with offenses that will attack defense schemes with multiple personnel packages and formations.

Often times players at the collegiate level could get by on their talents a lone. Stepping up to the pros is a different story. People can watch the game for years and still not understand or appreciate how difficult it is for players to make the jump from the collegiate level to the professional level.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post

Like, this play, you rush the QB. If the TE goes out for a pass, you cover him in this D. If a RB goes to the flat, you cover him. On this play, you blitz.

How can it be that complicated? And if it is, why? Maybe at one time LeBoo's system was tricking people and worth being so complex. But it's obviously not fooling anyone, anymore, so why do it?

SIMPLIFY.

How many times have you ever heard, "The D/O has improved because they made it much more complicated?"

I never hear that, but I have heard, "They improved the D by making it less complex," a myriad of times.

I honestly feel that they make it super complex to feed their ego. Too complex for others to soak in equates to LeBoo must be super smart.

KISS.

Now that Rooney put his wing tip up LeBoo's rear to get rookies on the field, he has no choice but to make it simple enough for the rookies to grasp.

The fact is, DL's defense works. Having a consistent top scoring defense over the last ten years proves it. But, ...gotta have the players to make it work. Even Seattle's touted "simplified" defense took 3 yrs to reach its current state.
    Gotta give LeBeau the opportunity to remake the current defense with these new speedsters.
    If this class fails, I have no problem saying bye bye to DL.

Legend

User Info Menu

DL's defense is as complicated as it has to be so our 'real' fans can use it for an excuse to why their 'instant starter' claims never materialize.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't believe it's only about learning the defense. Adjusting to the speed of the game at the highest level seems to be the first obstacle. Defensive players also need to adjust and deal with offenses that will attack defense schemes with multiple personnel packages and formations.

Often times players at the collegiate level could get by on their talents a lone. Stepping up to the pros is a different story. People can watch the game for years and still not understand or appreciate how difficult it is for players to make the jump from the collegiate level to the professional level.
    Very astute. Good insight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Very astute. Good insight.
    Agreed. 86 makes a great point.

You do realize that this "insight" BURGH86STEEL made which you just called astute destroys the entire premise of your thread.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

SIMPLIFY.

KISS.

Nobody says "more complicated" as it sounds negative they talk about "a system". For example the zone blitz. Each players role is complex compared to say Bud Carson's defense. DLinmen cover and everybody is a pass rusher at some point.
    They don't call it more complicated, they call it zone blitz. Many teams now include zone blitz elements which add complexity.

KISS works fine. If your athletes are far superior than theirs.

KISS works when "you know what I'm doing but it doesn't matter because I am better than you."

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher