Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good read on Jarvis Jones

Starter

User Info Menu

Good read on Jarvis Jones

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/6/19/5825620/steelers-jarvis-jones-2014-outlook-news-projections[/URL]

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Jarvis Jones certainly looks like he could be a pass-rushing demon this season.

Jones, the club's first-round draft pick last year, is big, strong and athletic. But that didn't translate to big numbers, as Jones tallied just one sack as an NFL rookie. Jones has worked hard this spring to improve that part of his game.

"I've been learning different techniques, hand placement, feet placement and just different things that you can do within the defense that allow you to make plays but, at the same time, be on the same page to what your coaches and teammates have asked you to do,'' Jones said Thursday.

Jones has said that he's stronger than he was last season and his body type has improved, but he doesn't look any different physically. His on-field play, however, has changed drastically with help from former Steelers outside linebacker Joey Porter.

"I'm way more comfortable than I was last year,'' Jones said. "We got J.P. in here to help us out this year. He's a great motivator, and he taught us a lot in the past couple of weeks. To have a guy who actually played the game like he did, a great player, I learned a lot.''

At this time last year, Jones appeared to be confused during spring drills, and he said he really didn't know what to expect. But now that he's gone through a full year of workouts, including his second set of spring drills Jones believed the game was starting to slow down for him.

"There's been some highs and lows, things that you know you do well, but things that you also have to work on,'' Jones said. "And what I've worked on this spring are the things that will help me get better and help my team get better, understanding the system and the playbook much better and getting in the best shape possible to perform at a high level.''

So, is Jones ready to have a breakout season?

"Nah, man, we're not going to make any assumptions,'' Jones said. "We're going to play and continue to work and continue to take it one day at a time. That's what I'm going to focus on during the rest of this offseason and just try to get better every day to get ready for training camp.''

Porter, a first-year Steelers defensive assistant, has tried to impart all his pass-rushing knowledge on Jones.

"Pass rushing is all in believing that you can beat the guy (across from you) and executing your craft,'' Porter said. "You have to work at it. You can't just go out and not do any pass-rushing staff during the week and expect to go out there and get a sack on Sunday.''

Porter was intense as a player, something that was missing from Jones game during his rookie season. Porter has tried to maintain that intensity as a coach.

"I've got to give them the full me,'' Porter said. "I'm just going to do what's asked of me. ... As a player I would say something slick like I knew it all. As a coach I've got to be humble, because I don't. I'm young in this business, and I'm trying to learn. Like I tell him all the time, you put in the work, and I'm going to be here to help you with whatever you need. I played the position.

"Soak up all the knowledge I have like a sponge, and I'll just keep giving it to you. Last year, I could imagine how he struggled with the defense. This is a complex defense, (and) to learn it that fast and be thrown in the fire (is tough). ... He's a first-round pick. I didn't have that much pressure on me as a third-round pick. I didn't get thrown into the starting lineup like he did.''

Jones has been extremely attentive when his new coach talks and watches his every move. So, what has Jones gleaned so far?

"I think he was just taking the stuff that he saw me do and cleaned it up a little bit, along with the stuff that I saw him do here and there and stuff that we both talked about that I can do to be a better player, like my pass rush,'' Jones said.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When Butler and or Porter start giving him kudos I'll buy in. Or if I see it myself at camp or in the pre-season. Until then though I would like to buy in i will simply wait. What in the world could this writer have seen in no contact drills to make him put his chips all in on JJ?
    A lot of people are quick to voice their opinion on football but do not have the football background to back it up.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    When Butler and or Porter start giving him kudos I'll buy in. Or if I see it myself at camp or in the pre-season. Until then though I would like to buy in i will simply wait. What in the world could this writer have seen in no contact drills to make him put his chips all in on JJ?
    A lot of people are quick to voice their opinion on football but do not have the football background to back it up.
    My guess is that someone who covers the Steelers and has done so for years maybe...just maybe...has more insight than Iron City Inc??? Hey I could be wrong. Maybe Iron City Inc is THE guy.

Perhaps he's ya know, talked to him??? Or maybe talked to coaches or other players/teammates who have said encouraging things? Or maybe he's just totally making things up so message board folks like us can second guess every word.

Yeah, that's probably the one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    My guess is that someone who covers the Steelers and has done so for years maybe...just maybe...has more insight than Iron City Inc??? Hey I could be wrong. Maybe Iron City Inc is THE guy.

Perhaps he's ya know, talked to him??? Or maybe talked to coaches or other players/teammates who have said encouraging things? Or maybe he's just totally making things up so message board folks like us can second guess every word.

Yeah, that's probably the one.
    Dale Grdnic has some very good sport credentials. He is a Beaver county native. So is his perspective skewed? Glass half full...perhaps.
    Steelsnis you don't believe everything you read do you?
    Just to make it clear I'm rooting for JJ but seeing is believing.

Legend

User Info Menu

The best thing I read in that article is that Jones is very attentive when being coached. Take first round talent, add in a willingness to learn, and you have a player who should develop.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jones has said that he's stronger than he was last season and his body type has improved, but he doesn't look any different physically. His on-field play, however, has changed drastically with help from former Steelers outside linebacker Joey Porter.
    This concerns me. I have never seen a case when someone supposedly gets much stronger but there is no difference in their appearance, physically. That sounds like hog wash to me. And his on-field play changed drastically? And how is such being evaluated? This sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. Hope not, but right now? He is much stronger but doesn't look any different physically? BS. And it states he is "big and strong?" No he isn't. Those were the two things he WASN'T.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not from Missouri, but "show me"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Umm.... I actually get a lot stronger before I get bigger and I've been lifting for awhile. There are a lot of people like that. There is also a lot of people that have "beach" muscle that are very weak but you'd never think it.

I don't understand the hate here. The guy plays as a rookie when everything bitches and moans that rookies never start. He doesn't perform great but he didn't perform very poorly either and now people are hating on the guy. It's almost as if Jarvis Jones slept with some of your girlfriends or something, you hate him so much.

Starter

User Info Menu

The funny thing is, if I had posted an article here that said Jarvis had a terrible OTA session and looked confused, everyone who already had something against him would say, "See... he's been bad in OTA's, he'll never make it in the league. "

Instead, here's a writer saying something good about him, and all anyone can say is stuff like "I'll have to see it for myself to believe it..."

BTW, this is a quote from LB coach Keith Butler:
    Jarvis was running around last year like a chicken with his head cut off," said Butler. "He'd be asking 'What do I do? What do I do?' and the ball's snapped. At the time he didn't know what to do. That's the reason I don't like to start rookies. They don't know what to do -- most of the time.
    To me, that's a major positive. If he had a poor year as a rookie, yet he knew all of the calls and was in the right looks the whole time, I'd be concerned. But the fact that he was as clueless as we thought, yet still held up to the run well and progressed and got better later in the year, has me really excited to watch him this season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Umm.... I actually get a lot stronger before I get bigger and I've been lifting for awhile. There are a lot of people like that. There is also a lot of people that have "beach" muscle that are very weak but you'd never think it.

I don't understand the hate here. The guy plays as a rookie when everything bitches and moans that rookies never start. He doesn't perform great but he didn't perform very poorly either and now people are hating on the guy. It's almost as if Jarvis Jones slept with some of your girlfriends or something, you hate him so much.
    Speaking for myself, I don't hate him and feel he was coming on at the end of the year. I was glad he played as a rookie, but I do understand the concerns: He wasn't strong enough to get off blocks nor fast enough to get to the QB quick enough when he did. But being that he was the most productive at his position in the entire SEC I ain't giving up hope yet.

As far as getting stronger while not changing in appearance? It depends on what level. If you mean you can improve your 1x max rep bench while not appearing to look any bigger - sure. That can happen. But anyone who starts lifting in a real way, when they hadn't before, no way. When I started lifting everyone I had known who saw me said I had changed in a major league way. It was night and day. If JJ had begun lifting when he hadn't been before, you could easily tell. But I don't know that that is the case. Last year, he really didn't look NFL OLB strong. His arms were mostly smooth, without much muscle definition, and were relatively small. Compare him to other good OLBs in the NFL, and it's not even close. JJ is just not very big.

[url]http://www.trbimg.com/img-52602696/turbine/bal-steelers-announce-concussion-for-rookie-ja-001/580/580x326[/url]

[url]http://www.usasports360.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/James-Harrison-e1348682241500.jpg[/url]