Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terry Bradshaw harsh on Peyton Manning: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Bradshaw harsh on Peyton Manning: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

Bradshaw on Peyton: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 19, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw says current Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is great — as long as you stop watching after the regular season ends.

Bradshaw said during his his one-man show, America’s Favorite Dumb Blonde, that he views Manning as a regular-season star and a playoff choker.

“Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that — if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy,” Bradshaw said, via PFT Commenter.

Bradshaw rarely misses an opportunity to say that quarterbacks are judged based on winning Super Bowls, a viewpoint that may be slightly self-serving considering that Bradshaw, with four Super Bowl rings, is tied with Joe Montana for the most for any quarterback.

Of course, Bradshaw won those Super Bowl rings because he was on the best teams, not because he himself was the best quarterback. Although Bradshaw does have two Super Bowl MVPs to his credit, the 1970s Steelers won Super Bowls first and foremost with their defense. People forget that in 1974, the year the Steelers won their first Super Bowl, Bradshaw was only the starter for half the regular season, and the Steelers actually had a better record in the games he missed than the games he started. People forget that if Bradshaw hadn’t played so badly in so many playoff games, the Steelers could have won more than four Super Bowls: Among Bradshaw’s postseason stat lines were a 5-for-10, 80-yard, one-touchdown, two-interception game in a loss to the Dolphins, a 12-for-25, 167-yard, two-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Raiders, a 14-for-35, 176-yard, zero-touchdown, one-interception game in another loss to the Raiders, and a 19-for-37, 177-yard, one-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Broncos.

For a guy who has a reputation as a clutch performer in big games, Bradshaw sure did turn in a lot of multiple-interception games in playoff losses.

But while Manning’s passing stats dwarf Bradshaw’s, and Manning’s regular-season accomplishments (including five MVPs and seven first-team All-Pros) far surpass those of Bradshaw (one MVP and one All-Pro), Bradshaw does have those four shiny rings on his fingers, while Manning only has one. That’s something Bradshaw will continue to remind audiences of, every chance he gets.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/bradshaw-on-peyton-if-you-like-losing-super-bowls-hes-your-guy/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree though.

Man i wish the bears had ANYONE but grossman back when the colts won.....looked like peyton was off to flop another one. Eye popping stats mean nothing on superbowl sunday. It pains me that ben has a SB loss blemish on his record, but at least he isnt expected to win the superbowl every year like manning and brady

Starter

User Info Menu

"People forget that if Bradshaw hadn’t played so badly in so many playoff games, the Steelers could have won more than four Super Bowls: Among Bradshaw’s postseason stat lines were a 5-for-10, 80-yard, one-touchdown, two-interception game in a loss to the Dolphins, a 12-for-25, 167-yard, two-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Raiders, a 14-for-35, 176-yard, zero-touchdown, one-interception game in another loss to the Raiders, and a 19-for-37, 177-yard, one-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Broncos.
    For a guy who has a reputation as a clutch performer in big games, Bradshaw sure did turn in a lot of multiple-interception games in playoff losses.
    But while Manning’s passing stats dwarf Bradshaw’s...................................."

Is it really fair to compare passing stats of NFL QB's before the major rule changes of 1978 to QB's of today? I recall that Otto Graham only completed 55% of his career passes and Joe Namath was right around 50%. Winning will always trump stats regardless of era.

Legend

User Info Menu

14 QBs have 9 or more playoff wins - only one of those has a record under .500 (11-12). Guess who that is.

25 QBs have 6 or more playoff wins - only two have records below .500. (Marino is 8-10).

Manning is 167-73 in the regular season. For those who argue that he was never on a good enough team, his post season record is 218 points below his regular season record. By comparison, Marino is 163 points below his regular season record. Goes to show that Marino's teams were not as consistently good as Manning's.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've heard a few people say Joe Namath was garbage but the prediction and win over the Colts made him into a legend.

Bradshaw may have some ugly stats in playoff losses but he has 4SB rings and no losses in a SB. If Peyton had 3 rings we wouldnt care about his other playoff losses or stats.

Peyton is an awesome regular season QB but he is a choker in crunch time. He couldnt beat Florida when he was at Tennessee. its no coincedence that Tee Martin won it right after Peyton left. He is a beast until he is on a big stage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    "People forget that if Bradshaw hadn’t played so badly in so many playoff games, the Steelers could have won more than four Super Bowls: Among Bradshaw’s postseason stat lines were a 5-for-10, 80-yard, one-touchdown, two-interception game in a loss to the Dolphins, a 12-for-25, 167-yard, two-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Raiders, a 14-for-35, 176-yard, zero-touchdown, one-interception game in another loss to the Raiders, and a 19-for-37, 177-yard, one-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Broncos.
    But while Manning’s passing stats dwarf Bradshaw’s...................................."

Is it really fair to compare passing stats of NFL QB's before the major rule changes of 1978 to QB's of today? I recall that Otto Graham only completed 55% of his career passes and Joe Namath was right around 50%. Winning will always trump stats regardless of era.
    Terry and Dizz are absolutely right. Peyton is a big game choker without peer. The fact that this is the case is even clearer in view of what a GREAT regular season QB.

That being said, he and Terry are polar opposite extremes, the case that rings ALONE do not make Terry the greatest ever is valid. Terry had MANY bad seasons. Never mind comparing his stats to TODAYS players. I am talking about his PEERS.

Terry was often inaccurate, would force balls into coverage, and GOT AWAY WITH IT because his team compensated for his errors. And you show me a loss and I will show you nine out of 10 times the loss rested squarely with Terry.

I can name MANY of Terrys peers capable of winning Superbowls as Steelers QB. Swap Bert Jones with Terry does Baltimore have rings? SWAP QBs in ANY SUPERBOWL WE WON who wins? What if Swann or Stallworth had a touchdown drop and Jackie Smith makes that EASY catch?

What if Terry was a Viking GETTING KILLED by Greene and Greenwood and Fran got to hand of to Franco for a hundred fifty yards?

What if Terry is throwing it up for grabs for Swann to make a miracle catch but he is covered not by Washington but by 6'3" all time great MEL BLOUNT?

1976 Terry goes 1-4 and gets hurt rookie Mike Kruczek comes in wins 6 straight doing NOTHING BUT HANDING OFF THE BALL. We beat both SD 23-0 and KC 45-0 DUDE THROWS FOR 20 YARDS IN EACH OF THOSE WINS. All he had to do was not screw up and the team dominated people.

Now he was not nearly the QB Terry was. My point is that Terrys starting point was SO GREAT that ANY QB would have been somewhat successful with that amount of talent. To think Terry was MORE successful than another great QB would be given the talent he had to work with is giving him too much credit.

Yes late in his career, Terry became a GREAT QB. He WAS clutch. But judging him overall YOU HAVE TO acknowledgement the p!ayers around him.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Starter

User Info Menu

I see old Terry is getting some criticism thrown his way. I just read an article that many people are down on Bradshaw for skipping Chuck Noll's funeral,even though he was in the area. Former Steeler PR man Joe Gordon said on the fan that Bradshaw is the most insincere person he has ever known.

Legend

User Info Menu

I live in Bronco country. I told my friends that they would love him in the regular season and hate him in the post season.

So far, I'm good.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bradshaw being Bradshaw. He is so zany!

Starter

User Info Menu

Terry may not like Peyton, but he's a fan of the other TB.

[URL]http://youtu.be/WSRR0gzT-o4[/URL]