Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trying to sign CB Flowers

Legend

User Info Menu

CB Brandon Flowers, Chargers agree to terms on new contract

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
    June 24, 2014

Cornerback Brandon Flowers has agreed to terms with the Chargers, a league source tells CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora. Flowers visited the Chargers last week and drew interest from numerous teams after he was released by the Chiefs earlier this month.

Flowers, originally selected by Kansas City in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft, made his first Pro Bowl last season but the Chiefs let him go in part because he of his $10.5 million salary-cap hit in 2014. The implication: Despite his talents, he wasn't worth the money.

(ProFootballFocus.com's advanced metrics agree; Flowers ranked 87th among all cornerbacks last season, just behind DeAngelo Hall, David Amerson and Robert Alford.)

Still, Flowers, 28, provides the Chargers with much-needed depth. The team reportedly signed him to a one-year deal, which is a low-cost move for them while allowing Flowers to prove he is worth another long-term, big-money contract next offseason.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24596399/cb-brandon-flowers-chargers-agree-to-terms-on-new-contract[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, since we weren't able to bring that Brandon Flowers to Heinz Field, maybe the team can bring the other Brandon Flowers to Heinz Field by replacing Styx's Renegade with the Killers' Mr. Brightside or Somebody Told Me.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

i thought someone said the steelers were really serious about flowers, what happened?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i thought someone said the steelers were really serious about flowers, what happened?
    It was a ruse all along.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    It was a ruse all along.
    I think that's spelled "rose"... After all, we are talking about flowers, aren't we?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell:

I don't understand why Brandon Flowers didn't want to be the #Steelers' no. 4 corner.
    [URL="https://twitter.com/jimwexell"]
    https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James C Wexell @jimwexell:

I don't understand why Brandon Flowers didn't want to be the #Steelers' no. 4 corner.
    [URL="https://twitter.com/jimwexell"]
    https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]
    Guess that explains why he didn't sign with Pittsburgh...

So the Steelers believe they have 3 corners BETTER than Brandon Flowers?

Legend

User Info Menu

The contract: One year, $1.5 million signing bonus, $1.5 guaranteed base salary, and up to $2 million more in incentives.

Chargers agree with Brandon Flowers

Updated: June 24, 2014, 7:38 PM ET

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- After visiting with the team last week, free-agent cornerback Brandon Flowers agreed to terms with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday, the team announced.

Flowers, 28, made the Pro Bowl for the first time last season, and should help bolster a San Diego pass defense that finished 29th in passing yards allowed per game last season.

Part of the appeal for the Virginia Tech product to sign with the Chargers was the opportunity to play against his old team, the Kansas City Chiefs, twice a season. The Chiefs released Flowers in a cost-cutting move earlier this month.

The one-year deal can reach up to $5 million as $1.5 million comes in the signing bonus, plus a base salary of $1.5 million which is also guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Field Yates.

Flowers can earn $2 million more in incentives. In order to make the full $2 million, he must play at least 92.5 percent of the Chargers' defensive snaps and the team must make the AFC championship game. If he plays at least 78.5 percent of the defensive snaps, he will earn at least $1 million. For context, he played 78.11 percent of the Chiefs' defensive snaps last season while missing 3 games.

At 5-foot-9 and 187 pounds, the cat-quick Flowers fits well in Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano's system. Flowers can play on the perimeter or inside as a slot defender. Last season for the Chiefs, Flowers played mostly inside, finishing with 68 tackles, a sack and an interception.

Flowers has 17 interceptions -- including three returned for touchdowns -- and 91 pass breakups in his six-year professional career. He joins a roster that currently has Richard Marshall and Shareece Wright penciled in as the team's starting cornerbacks.

This year's first-round selection in the draft for the Chargers, Jason Verrett, also will compete for time with the starters once he's fully healthy. The TCU product is rehabbing from offseason shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum, but could be ready for full contact at the start of training camp.

The addition of Flowers gives the Chargers added insurance in case it takes longer for Verrett to work himself into the defensive backfield rotation.

The Chargers have a full, 90-man roster, and will have to release a player in order to make room for Flowers. San Diego now has 11 cornerbacks with the addition of Flowers -- Crezdon Butler, Marcus Cromartie, Chris Davis, Greg Ducre, Brandon Ghee, Brandon Jones, Steve Williams, Marshall, Wright and Verrett.
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11130304/san-diego-chargers-reach-agreement-cb-brandon-flowers[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    It was a ruse all along.

wow, a real serious team would certainly offer at least as much as SD.....lol
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Administrator

User Info Menu

So they think Ike, Allen and Gay are all better than Flowers? Interesting....

Given the contract, I'm a bit surprised we didn't make a serious effort at signing him.

I think the Steelers are planning to use Shamarko Thomas a lot in sub-packages. He just as athletic (if not more) than every CB on our roster.