Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to sign CB Flowers

This would be a coup. I would have almost no worries going into this season with Flowers topping off the FA signings and solid draft.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Or Blount, or DHB...

This is been a crazy active FA for us. And imo it was a pretty aggressive draft.
    yep... we didn't have a choice. Usually we are stacked and have guys waiting on the sideline...

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddkSa?u...burgh-steelers

Who would sit if they signed him? Wow. Signing Flowers would take the sting out of not drafting a stud CB in the draft. The guy is good.
    It would mean Cortez has little leverage.... and/or Ike is really in his last year...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Our top 3 CB's are Ike, Cortez, and Gay. Ike and Cortez are UFA's in 2015 and Gay is a UFA is 2016. Flowers is 28 and in the prime of his career (6 NFL seasons under his belt and made the Pro Bowl last year). He has started all but one NFL game he has played in (including 13 starts during his rookie season) and has 17 interceptions (for a team struggling to get takeaways, that would be huge).

I realize that we typically prefer taller corners (Ike is 6'2", Cortez is 6'1"), as opposed to the 5'9" Flowers, but we've seemed to come around on smaller corners recently, because we signed the 5'9" Brice McCain as a free agent this offseason, and coaches have been raving about the 5'9" Antwan Blake.

Adding Flowers now wouldn't only give us an excellent foursome of corners for LeBeau and Lake to play with now (to go with the safety foursome of Troy, Mitchell, Allen, and Sharknado), but he could be a longer-term answer for us since Ike isn't expected to be here beyond this season (hopefully we are able to extend Cortez, though).

I read a lot of mixed reviews on Flowers. Here is a good sampling:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ers-still-free

He seems to fit a lot of what the Steelers do, and between strong veterans and a strong coaching staff, I'm not sure if his personality issues would be a detriment. I think he would help this year, and could help into the future. I wouldn't break the bank for him, but if the Steelers can sign him while leaving room for a Cortez Allen extension, they should.

I love when naysayers say stuff will never happen.

May be moot:
    James C Wexell@jimwexell 1m
    Source with the #Steelers confirmed interest in Brandon Flowers but doubts he'll get out of San Diego.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    May be moot:

James C Wexell@jimwexell 1m
    Source with the #Steelers confirmed interest in Brandon Flowers but doubts he'll get out of San Diego.
    They drafted Jason Verrett in round 1, we drafted Shaq Richardson in round 5. We could use you more here, Brandon! Of course, he may want to stay in the AFC West where he can stick it to his old team twice a year...

Pro Bowler
    Well we didnt think we were letting Carrington away without a contract, so who knows maybe flowers wont like powder blue

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    It would mean Cortez has little leverage.... and/or Ike is really in his last year...
    Ike has come out and said the most recent contract means he will play his whole career as a Steeler, and I believe it was a 1 year deal, so, if true, it is his last year. That being said, if they actually make this signing it means Ike is a nickle back. You don't sign Flowers to not start him. And, yes, the efforts in free agency this year is the most aggressive of any off season I can recall in my life. That's what two non-winning seasons will do to this team. Typically, they point to the cap #, and pretend they can't maneuver around it, and call it a day. This year, they actually got off their butts and did something about it. Rooney put his wing tip up some rear ends, obviously.