Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Top 100 Players of 2014': Ben Roethlisberger #31

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

'Top 100 Players of 2014': Ben Roethlisberger #31

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Top-100-Players-of-2014-Ben-Roethlisberger/28fe8ae2-44d9-4693-b4dc-451503008f2d[/URL]

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is voted the 31st-best player in the NFL by his peers on "Top 100 Players of 2014."

Legend

User Info Menu

And, here's my statement to the players or coaches or whoever is ranking the players.

Name the 30 players that have a bigger impact on a game than Ben. That will eliminate all but possibly a handful of players in the NFL and a handful might be too many.

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Manning, P
    Manning, E
    Rivers

Okay, that's all I got and those may or may not have a bigger impact than Ben. In my mind if any of the top 10 players listed aren't quarterbacks the list is wrong.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rivers? lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Rivers? lol
    Eli's even funnier. He was downright AWFUL last year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The funny part about this nonsense is that players have probably the worst perspective when it comes to rating other players. We could do a better job. Why? Because when we are at home watching 13 football games on a Sunday afternoon, what are players doing? They are busy at work. For those who think that they have a more valid opinion because they are always watching game film and they "know" the game, that is funny too. The film they are watching is not the game, it is in-depth highlights of their position opponent's tendencies. It is not like they sit down to watch a full game, and are studying every player on the field in order to determine who the best is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The funny part about this nonsense is that players have probably the worst perspective when it comes to rating other players. We could do a better job. Why? Because when we are at home watching 13 football games on a Sunday afternoon, what are players doing? They are busy at work. For those who think that they have a more valid opinion because they are always watching game film and they "know" the game, that is funny too. The film they are watching is not the game, it is in-depth highlights of their position opponent's tendencies. It is not like they sit down to watch a full game, and are studying every player on the field in order to determine who the best is.
    Im pretty sure they know fairly well when someone is doing their job or not.

OTA praise about every rookie though, is common

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it's safe to say Ben will always be underrated. It's just how it is. And I don't really care, as it has nothing to do with us winning or losing. Eli Manning or Rivers should not be placed before him, though. Not now. That is loco.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Rivers? lol
    Exactly, that's my point, Rivers has been one compared to Ben, so I included him, take him off the list and you're down to a handful, remove Manning and it's 4, that's kind of my point. There aren't many, if any, impacting a game more than Ben, but he's 31st on the list.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Eli's even funnier. He was downright AWFUL last year.
    Yup, and that is my point, there's at the most 4 players that "could" have a bigger impact on a game than Ben and he shows up 31st. I included Rivers and Manning, because they are always tossed around in the same breath as Ben.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    And, here's my statement to the players or coaches or whoever is ranking the players.

Name the 30 players that have a bigger impact on a game than Ben. That will eliminate all but possibly a handful of players in the NFL and a handful might be too many.

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Manning, P
    Manning, E
    Rivers

Okay, that's all I got and those may or may not have a bigger impact than Ben. In my mind if any of the top 10 players listed aren't quarterbacks the list is wrong.

Pappy
    nope... you are giving QB's all the glory because they touch the ball every play.

We just watched a SB where a defense controlled the game and beat down a QB who had an amazing year. Gotta give those defensive players props... especially when some of those defenders were responsible for our 8 losses.