Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wexell: Roethlisberger On A Mission

Legend

User Info Menu

Wexell: Roethlisberger On A Mission

Roethlisberger On A Mission

by Jim Wexell

Ben Roethlisberger appears to have gained a sense of urgency this spring as the leader of the Pittsburgh Steelers. His position coach sees the growth.

Mike Tomlin dismissed the notion that Ben Roethlisberger is "on a mission" with his leadership this spring by saying, "Man, we're all on a mission. There's only one confetti game, one trophy game."

Heath Miller agreed.

"I guess I could have the same answer; maybe not as colorful," said Miller. "I don't notice anything different. I think it's kind of the same sense of urgency this time every year."

But Roethlisberger just keeps coaching his part of the Steelers' offense with encouragement, corrections and at times even anger.

In spite of what the coach and the reserved and wholly believable tight end say, Roethlisberger is showing more usable leadership at age 32 than at any point in his 11 years in the NFL.

His position coach says so. And so does the quarterback himself.

"Maybe just because I see the potential," Roethlisberger explained. "I would like to build off last year. We ended the season on a real high note offensively. I would like to just continue to grow off that and get better."

Roethlisberger and the Steelers went 6-2 in the second half last season and Roethlisberger was sacked only 11 times.

Some might say he bought into the offense. But his work this spring speaks to more than that.

"Maybe the intensity changed a little bit," said quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner. "Obviously he's here a lot more. He's got two kids now, a wife. You have your own things going on and you can't be all different places. I think he put an emphasis on 'Maybe I can't do all the charity works,' or 'I can't travel the country' or 'I can't do all of those things.' I think it's just an intensity. It's an intensity by him to say 'I'm going to be here.'"

Fichtner added that "Ben does a lot on his own, too," in terms of watching film via the technological upgrades, and that "he's done a nice job taking care of his body this spring. He looks as healthy as I've seen in the last several years.

"It's funny that you notice it," Fichtner added. "I told my wife the other day, 'He looks better. Feels better. Is moving better than I remember for maybe two or three years.'"

The first minicamp practice Tuesday was just another day on this June's gridiron for Roethlisberger. Early in individual drills he worked on the finer points of the "now"

routes with his receivers, alternately praising them, correcting them, and when needed hollering at them. During the first special-teams session he ran sprints on the adjacent field and during the second he covered kickoffs with the look team.

Roethlisberger is no doubt this team's leader. Has the perceived urgency been heightened by age?

"I don't know if it's so much the urgency because quote-unquote I'm getting towards the end or whatever it is, because I physically feel great," Roethlisberger said. "Maybe that's what it is. Maybe I feel so good that I just want to really kind of play great and have this offense playing great. It might just be excitement."

Or a natural evolution.

"Every year you grow as a leader," he said. "Everyone that comes into the NFL was probably a star on their team, and you're not a star here. You read as a rookie you should be seen, not heard. I want to see these guys not make the same mistake twice. I'll give them some leeway for a dropped pass here and there, but when they make the same mistake twice you need to get on them.

"Now that I'm the old guy, you feel a little more at ease doing that."

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/story/1412585-o...a-mission?s=68[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

He's only got about 3 good years left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    He's only got about 3 good years left.
    Yup... and we need another Lombardi or two during that span
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think he has at least 5 good year's left. He's not like Manning and Brady who have been passing 55 times a game since entering the league he still have a strong live arm.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    During the first special-teams session he ran sprints on the adjacent field and during the second he covered kickoffs with the look team.
    Ben covering kicks? Alrighty then...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers QBs coach Randy Fichtner says Ben Roethlisberger is "around the building a lot more"

By Dale Grdnic on Jun 19 2014

His leadership role perhaps never has been more important for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He's following up on that through his presence and diligence.

PITTSBURGH -- Will this finally be the year that Ben Roethlisberger is recognized as one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL?

Or will those with lesser resumes and, more importantly, less playoff and Super Bowl victories continue to garner all the accolades?

"I don't think that really matters to Ben, as long as we're winning football games, get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl,'' Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said. "That's our main goal this year, to get back into the playoffs and get to Arizona.''

If the Steelers are going to qualify for the playoffs and certainly if they are going to make it to the site of Super Bowl 49 in Phoenix, depends on how well Pouncey and the club's offensive line protects Roethlisberger and how well the 11th-year quarterback performs this season.

Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner has been more of an offseason presence than ever this year.

"You see him in the building a lot more,'' Fichtner said. "He has made a big, conscious effort to be around at every function that we've had, all the pre-OTAs, all the OTAs.

"It's been just great having him in the building. ... He tweaked a few things (so far in spring drills). I know it was nothing that he hadn't done before, maybe just a little more intensity.''

Roethlisberger clearly is aware that this is a crucial season in many ways. The Steelers are coming off consecutive 8-8, non-playoff seasons, and he has just two years remaining on his contract. So, he could be playing for one final extension if the Steelers don't re-up him in the next couple months.

"I just love being out here,'' Roethlisberger said. "I love the game, and I feel younger than ever. I'm just excited to be out and playing football. I'm excited about this team and the direction that I think we're headed. ... Obviously, I didn't have to be out here (for every OTA), but I wanted to be out here.

"Being here and the pre-stuff that we did, the 30 minutes we were allowed before, so just being out here and working and talking with the guys, I feel like I've already played together with these guys for a couple of years.''

One difference for Roethlisberger has been his involvement with the younger players on offense, specifically wideouts Markus Wheaton, Derek Moye and Justin Brown. The trio appears to be battling for the fifth and final roster spot for wideouts this season.

The opening four spots are expected to be composed of No. 1 receiver Antonio Brown, free-agent newcomers Lance Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey and fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant.

"I've prided myself in my career as being one of those guys that kind of just does whatever the team needs him to do,'' Moore said.

"I played a lot of football and have been successful in a number of roles, catching the ball and in a bunch of different situations as well. I feel like I've made a lot of plays and will continue to do that.''

Roethlisberger certainly is thrilled to have players like Antonio Brown (fifth NFL season), Moore (nine) and Heyward-Bey (six) in the fold this year. When 10th-year tight end Heath Miller is added to the mix, Roethlisberger has the most-experienced group of pass-catchers that he's had since the Steelers took him with the eighth overall pick in the first round during the 2004 NFL Draft.

However, Roethlisberger is just as excited about working with guys like Moye and Justin Brown, who have shown a great deal of improvement this spring.

"Justin has been getting a lot of reps, and I'm really proud of the way he's been playing,'' Roethlisberger said. "He's been playing three spots at receiver (and) is making quite a few plays. (Brown and Moye) have done a great job. They've put a lot of work in during this offseason.''

And all that should pay off during the regular season.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-steelers-minicamp/2014/6/19/5825338/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-2014-news-updates[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    One difference for Roethlisberger has been his involvement with the younger players on offense, specifically wideouts Markus Wheaton, Derek Moye and Justin Brown. The trio appears to be battling for the fifth and final roster spot for wideouts this season.

The opening four spots are expected to be composed of No. 1 receiver Antonio Brown, free-agent newcomers Lance Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey and fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant.
    I think that Markus Wheaton and Justin Brown already have a leg up on Darrius Heyward-Bey...not sure why this author assumed that DHB had a top-four spot locked up while Markus, Justin, and Derek were battling for #5. In fact, I think that J. Brown and M. Wheaton are currently #3 and #4 behind A. Brown and L. Moore, with M. Bryant coming in at #5, leaving DHB to battle with Moye for #6. We'll see what happens when the pads come on next month, though.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

IF the Steelers carry six WRs...

DHB and Moye may not make it over other players at that point...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    IF the Steelers carry six WRs
    I doubt we carry 6 wideouts. Two Browns, Moore, Wheaton, and Bryant make 5, and since Dri Archer is kind of a RB/WR hybrid, he's essentially WR 5.5 while also being RB 3 behind Bell and Blount.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I doubt we carry 6 wideouts. Two Browns, Moore, Wheaton, and Bryant make 5, and since Dri Archer is kind of a RB/WR hybrid, he's essentially WR 5.5 while also being RB 3 behind Bell and Blount.
    I think that this sounds about right. I'd guess the competition is Brown2 / Moye / DHB. Brown2 has been running with the 1st team, so it's his to lose I guess.