Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I didn't write it but could of...

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette:

To run 4-3 you need 4 stud DL & your OLBs are asked more to cover than rush. Think of Jack Ham (4-3) vs Worilds. Steelers OLB not 4-3 type

[URL]https://twitter.com/EdBouchette[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

You need 4 Heywards to run an effective 4-3. We have one.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette:

To run 4-3 you need 4 stud DL & your OLBs are asked more to cover than rush. Think of Jack Ham (4-3) vs Worilds. Steelers OLB not 4-3 type

[URL]https://twitter.com/EdBouchette[/URL]
    Jones, Shazier, and Timmons would all thrive in a 43....worilds would not, but worilds isnt in the long term plans
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This.

Maybe 2 with Tuitt...hopefully

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Tuitt makes 2. I believe he will shine this year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Considering how little time a team spends in a base defense, who cares?

What the Steelers have done in not necessarily draft guys who could fit both 4-3 and 3-4...they have drafted guys who don't need to be substituted when the offense changes up...

In college, Shamarko Thomas showed the ability to play CB at times as well as thump against the run...
    Shazier was a the only player in CFB who had 100+ tackles with 20+ of those for loss...yet he makes an INT in practice that has multiple articles written about it....
    Heyward could play inside or outside on a 4 man line as well as 5 Tech DE...
    Jarvis Jones was supposed to be a sack artist (and still might be) but proved better than expected at setting the edge against the run...

The Steelers want to make the base D as multiple as possible to minimize substitutions...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Tuitt makes 2. I believe he will shine this year.
    5 tech is very hard to play for a rookie...its complicated and physically demanding, if tuitt works his way into the rotation at all we should be thrilled with his progress.

Mitchell does not typically play young players and he hates raw players....tuitt isnt exactly raw, but he is young

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Most scarce or most impactful? I don't think it is scarcity. I think the demand and therefore value is driven by the two positions that impact a game and team success the most---QB and DE sacking machine.
    How many complete 4-3 DEs are there that can really rush a passer? Not many - it's easier to find a 3-4 OLB.

And from a basic economics standpoint, the dollars say that it is scarcity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Philly----I would disagree with this constant notion you have that pass rushing defensive line is hard to find. The attached link shows that 7 of the 10 sack leaders last season were defensive linemen and 5 of those were defensive ends.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2013/seasontype/2[/URL]

Really need to get off this kick that LeBeau's defense is somehow special and pass rushing OLBs are dominating the NFL. Our defense may have been (past tense) great at attacking the QB from the OLB position, but reality is it hasn't been for 3-4 years in those things that it was supposedly designed to do and that is to pressure the QB and create turnovers.

As much as you want to make it seem like this is a me versus LeBeau thing, it isn't. It is a make adjustments when you don't have the right personnel thing and it is a talent replacement thing. Essentially quit hanging onto to something that no longer works because you are stubborn and resistent to change. The last 4 years have clearly shown replacing the talent for LeBeau just seems harder than for most NFL defenses. So obviously finding a 3-4 OLB who is a great pass rusher IS NOT easier than finding a DE. Both may be hard, but that DE isn't taking two years or more to convert and learn a new position.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 06-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    How many complete 4-3 DEs are there that can really rush a passer? Not many - it's easier to find a 3-4 OLB.

And from a basic economics standpoint, the dollars say that it is scarcity.
    I don't see why it would be harder to find a DE than an OLB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't see why it would be harder to find a DE than an OLB...
    Speed. It's easier to find a guy at 240 pounds that runs a 4.6 then finding a DE stronger enough to handle NFL tackles and quick enough to get to the QB.
    Trolls are people too.