Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Steelers lineman Marcus Gilbert can take big jump in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Then you only see what you want to see. He is a good run blocker. Yes he struggles with speed pass rushers, but let's see what Munchak can do to change that. Guy has been starting since his rookie year so obviously someone on the Steelers sees something.
    I agree. Gilbert hasn't been great by my estimation, but he hasn't been horrible either. IMO, we have a serviceable lineman even without Coach Munch. I'm really interested to see what he can do with the raw materials he has to work with here.

Pro Bowler
    Then you only see what you want to see. He is a good run blocker. Yes he struggles with speed pass rushers, but let's see what Munchak can do to change that. Guy has been starting since his rookie year so obviously someone on the Steelers sees something.
    I think the team is doing some of that: seeing only what they want to see. First of all, our rushing game was just terrible until the end of last year, all the way through Gilbert's tenure, so I am not so sure how good his rush blocking was as well (Yes, it takes more than one good rush blocker to make for a decent rushing game, but still; I haven't seen him ever look so great rush blocking either.) I think the guy just lacks "fire in the belly" as does Adams, and I don't think you can really fix that very much. Give me a guy who might not have prototypical physical dimensions but likes hitting people and getting after it over those guys, like Beachum, any day.

Do you realize that people have called Pouncey, Foster, and now Gilbert, good run blockers. We all agree Decastro is good. HOW IN THE HECK DO OUR RUNNINGBACKS SEE nothing but a wall of "other team" every time they get the ball? We mocked Mendy for being spindarella then we had guys just slam into a wall.

Our line has gotten owned for years now. I said it before, Kemo and Colon were more dominating run blockers than ANYBODY on the team now with the possible exception of Decastro. They were just stupid and colon an injury annually which was notsustainable.

Gilbert is NOT a good run blocker. Adams was NOTICEABLY better in that dept when he got a shot on the right side.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-22-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Pro Bowler
    Gilberts career so far has been a lot like starks. Inconsistent for sure but he does some things well. He can turn a corner like starks too.

Remember how annoying it was seeing starks get the transistion tag and his extention and make so much money? Well he really showed his worth after that and was a key component to the oline, even late in his career working offo of one year deals on the cheap it was nice to have him around.

Im not saying break the bank for Gilbert, but i wouldnt hate an extension...i do still secretly like Adams a bit more though

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i do still secretly like Adams a bit more though
    It's not much of a secret anymore if you post it on here...

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's not much of a secret anymore if you post it on here...
    It was an admission of guilt

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Do you realize that people have called Pouncey, Foster, and now Gilbert, good run blockers. We all agree Decastro is good. HOW IN THE HECK DO OUR RUNNINGBACKS SEE nothing but a wall of "other team" every time they get the ball? We mocked Mendy for being spindarella then we had guys just slam into a wall.

Our line has gotten owned for years now. I said it before, Kemo and Colon were more dominating run blockers than ANYBODY on the team now with the possible exception of Decastro. They were just stupid and colon an injury annually which was notsustainable.

Gilbert is NOT a good run blocker. Adams was NOTICEABLY better in that dept when he got a shot on the right side.
    You are right about Kemo and Colon. Kemo was devastating when he pulled, and Colon was a great run blocker. Adams may be the best run blocker on the team now, at least in terms of the ability to drive a defender off the ball.

It was an admission of guilt
    I'll like Adams more when he can string more than one average game together.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'll like Adams more when he can string more than one average game together.
    you have to get to one first...

...i do still secretly like Adams a bit more though
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL