Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers lineman Marcus Gilbert can take big jump in 2014

Sick beats: I was watching football before you were born. I was watching the Steelers before you were born. One of my toenail clippings knows more about football than you. I have defecated more knowledge about football than you have in your head now or ever. When you insist that Gilbert has never blocked anyone or even slowed anyone down, you make a silly ass of yourself. That's not "defending" Gilbert. That's stating a fact. You're too goddam stupid to know the difference.

The guy gave up 11 sacks and graded out as the worst starter. Big bucks? What is this writer smoking?

Legend
    It's funny as a read this it brings back memories of the exact same over the top criticisms being said about a guy named Max Starks. A couple of years later he was the best lineman on the team and being hailed as a savior.

If the team signs Gilbert its because they see a valuable contributor who started as rookie and they feel will be better. I've never seen Gilbert a terrible as some do. It's not like they will sign him for a huge deal. It will be reasonable and one they consider fail for the team.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

If the Steelers can lock up Gilbert with a modest deal, they should. I'd prefer a deal in which the signing bonus isn't huge, so you can move on quickly if needed. Ovi is on the money with the Starks comparison. Gilbert is a bit more inconsistent, and I don't even think he'll become the rock solid player that Starks evolved into during his last few seasons, but he was part of a line that was very effective down the stretch. For the first time in years, the Steelers appear to have credible depth at OT. If they can keep it together for a reasonable price, they should.

Whether Gilbert can be retained reasonably is a whole separate issue. He's represented by Rosenhaus, and looking at the money that Michael Oher got, I'd ask for more for Gilbert, who is probably a better player.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's funny as a read this it brings back memories of the exact same over the top criticisms being said about a guy named Max Starks. A couple of years later he was the best lineman on the team and being hailed as a savior.

If the team signs Gilbert its because they see a valuable contributor who started as rookie and they feel will be better. I've never seen Gilbert a terrible as some do. It's not like they will sign him for a huge deal. It will be reasonable and one they consider fail for the team.
    I agree.. he is young and has shown improvement. I wasn't a fan of Gilbert but it was mostly due to getting "hurt" every game his rookie year.

Also curious to know when those 11 sacks occurred last year. The OL was a mess the first 4 to 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If the Steelers can lock up Gilbert with a modest deal, they should. I'd prefer a deal in which the signing bonus isn't huge, so you can move on quickly if needed. Ovi is on the money with the Starks comparison. Gilbert is a bit more inconsistent, and I don't even think he'll become the rock solid player that Starks evolved into during his last few seasons, but he was part of a line that was very effective down the stretch. For the first time in years, the Steelers appear to have credible depth at OT. If they can keep it together for a reasonable price, they should.

Whether Gilbert can be retained reasonably is a whole separate issue. He's represented by Rosenhaus, and looking at the money that Michael Oher got, I'd ask for more for Gilbert, who is probably a better player.
    I'm all for a modest deal. But when I read "big bucks" for a mediocre RT I have to balk.

Pro Bowler
    Gilbert is not going to command top dollar, actually i think he'll take whatever the steelers are willing to offer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree.. he is young and has shown improvement. I wasn't a fan of Gilbert but it was mostly due to getting "hurt" every game his rookie year.

Also curious to know when those 11 sacks occurred last year. The OL was a mess the first 4 to 6 games.
    When we crushed the Browns at the seasons end he gave up several pressures and a sack.

He ALSO led the team in penalties. Again, by a margin where you can ADD any two teammates TOGETHER and they don't add up to Gilbert.

A thought. We know Adams bombed at LT. But he had his moments when playing the right side, and had moments where he IMPRESSED in run blocking. He is a GOOD run blocker. He did have lapses on the right too, but is he any worse pass blocker than Gilbert on the right side?

Given Gilbert's struggles, are we sure Adams is not better overall player at RT?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm all for a modest deal. But when I read "big bucks" for a mediocre RT I have to balk.
    What's a modest deal for a starting RT? Something like 4 years, $14 million with a $4 million signing bonus?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    When we crushed the Browns at the seasons end he gave up several pressures and a sack.

He ALSO led the team in penalties. Again, by a margin where you can ADD any two teammates TOGETHER and they don't add up to Gilbert.

A thought. We know Adams bombed at LT. But he had his moments when playing the right side, and had moments where he IMPRESSED in run blocking. He is a GOOD run blocker. He did have lapses on the right too, but is he any worse pass blocker than Gilbert on the right side?

Given Gilbert's struggles, are we sure Adams is not better overall player at RT?
    Let's see what happens after a year under Munchak. We do have Adams as a potential fall back, But quite frankly I have seen much more from Gilbert than Adams but I'm far from the OL guru. We do still have a depth problem on the OL and need to start to fix in the next draft.

I still don't see Beachum (who I really like) as the long term solution at Left Tackle, partially because they won't want to pay Left Tackle money to a player who doesn't have the measureables and over time may breakdown or be exposed.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!