Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal on table for Worilds

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    He was dominant in some of the 8 games this year, so there's no reason to think he want playing for a new contract baring injury.
    he had a few sacks but he was far from dominant.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    he had a few sacks but he was far from dominant.
    He won matchups for the first time in his career...i guess that = dominance

paul: Should Worlds leave after rejecting latest offer, where does that leave us next year?

Ray Fittipaldo: The Steelers could tag Worilds again next season if they wanted. But if not, it would leave them in the position of having to draft another OLB fairly high next year. Unless Arthur Moats or Zumwalt or another unknown comes through this season as an up-and-comer, there is not an answer on the current roster.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz34tC0DzYx

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    paul: Should Worlds leave after rejecting latest offer, where does that leave us next year?

Ray Fittipaldo: The Steelers could tag Worilds again next season if they wanted. But if not, it would leave them in the position of having to draft another OLB fairly high next year. Unless Arthur Moats or Zumwalt or another unknown comes through this season as an up-and-comer, there is not an answer on the current roster.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz34tC0DzYx
    Worilds and his agent clearly know that. If Jones is underwhelming this season, Worilds is left holding all the cards. That said, the Steelers will not play his game and will tag him gain or let him walk.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Linebacker Jason Worilds back on the field at mini-camp

By NickKelly on Jun 17 2014

After missing most of OTA's due to a calf injury, the Steelers transition-tagged linebacker is back on the field.

Troy Polamalu wasn't the only player to rejoin the team Tuesday.

OLB Jason Worilds missed most of the Steelers organized team activities due to a calf injury. But, it appears that he has returned in some capacity to practice from a video that beat-writer Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review posted on Youtube.

Of course, Worilds could very well be limited in practice. But, to see him doing individual drills is encouraging.

These are encouraging words for fans as well as the front office since the Steelers bascially chose Worilds over former Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley who had his fair share of injures in the second half of his career. While Woodley had been a dominant linebacker at times, he couldn't seem to stay on the field in recent years.

Although, Woodley's inability to stay on the field did have a bright side.

In Woodley's absence in 2013, 2010 2nd round pick Jason Worilds finally stepped up to the plate. With Woodley on the sideline, Worilds took over the left outside-linebacker position and racked up eight-sacks. The Steelers then signed him to the transition-tag this offseason, keeping him under contract for at least one more season.

The hope is that a long-term deal will get reached as their is little to no depth behind him. But, the fact that Worilds is back on the field is good news. No matter how good a player is, if they can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter how good they are as the Steelers experienced with Woodley.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-minicamp-2014

I have a sneaky suspicion Worilds plays less than 11 games this season. We will get a look at someone. Hope Moats can play OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion Worilds plays less than 11 games this season. We will get a look at someone. Hope Moats can play OLB.
    I don't think Moats is anything more than depth. Which is nice, but I'd rather not see him play.

If Worilds overplays his hand, which he appears to be doing, he could easily be in for a letdown. He is gambling on himself in a big way this year. If he doesn't stay healthy and produce double digit sacks, he could very well lose a lot of money.

Steelers Should Let Jason Worilds Walk in 2015

by steelbydesign
    June 16, 2014

Ed Bouchette reported late last week that the Steelers have offered Jason Worilds a long-term deal which his camp turned down.

The Steelers have very little depth at outside linebacker, and even less starting experience at the position outside of Worilds.

I still think that despite that, the Steelers should let the 5th year linebacker walk in 2015.

SteelDad has been wary of Worilds for some time. Personally, I felt that Worilds had the look of a future star and said back in December they couldn’t let him walk.

I still believe that Jason Worilds has the potential to be a 10-12 sack per year player and he’s just turned 26 years old.

If Worilds was willing to sign a contract that matches his production I’d be all for it; but it’s clear that him turning down the Steelers offer probably means he wants to be paid based on potential, not production.

I don’t necessarily think that Worilds is selfish or wrong… In his mind his stock could skyrocket after a big year in 2014 and he’s right.

The situation is reminiscent of Joe Flacco saying “no thanks” to the Ravens in 2012 and then seriously cashing in after a legendary playoff run.

When healthy, Jason Worilds was a pass-rushing force last season. He accumulated 8 sacks in 11 starts, and provided plenty of non-sack pressures throughout the year.

People love to call Maurkice Pouncey is injury prone (who prior to DeCastro’s knee torpedo in 2013 missed 5 out of 52 starts in his career). Worilds miss almost that many in 2011 alone.

He’s also rarely gone through an entire training camp without being sidelined… and he’s already been sitting and watching through most of OTA’s so far.

It’s completely possible that he’s ready to go for camp, and has a great season. If Worilds does look like a pro bowler in 2014, the Steelers always have the option of using another tag.

I could change my mind again, but as of now I think that the Steelers shouldn’t commit a ton of money to a guy that history shows will miss 4 or more games per season.

That would leave the Steelers with only the unproven Jarvis Jones at the position as a viable starter (Arthur Moats is a possibility but also a free agent in 2015), but I think making the position a free agency and draft priority is a better option than possibly having another LaMarr Woodley situation.

http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/0...medium=twitter

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    SteelDad has been wary of Worilds for some time.
    Well, if an authority like SteelDad doesn't like him, what hope does Worilds possibly have for success?

James C Wexell @jimwexell:

“@StevenATimmes: has Worilds taken part in team practice the past two days?” Previous 2 days. Not today. He looks explosive when plays.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell