Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal on table for Worilds

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and all this time I thought it was all about me

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm glad. He is not a "franchise" type defender. You want to pay guys like Porter or Lloyd that kind of dough. Even Woodley (at the time), I was OK with. (Little did I realize, he was that type of guy who mailed it in.)

Worilds is a supporting player, pure and simple. Potentially a good one... but still, supporting. To pay him like an elite, main cog in your defense, is a mistake.
    I don't know, when I watched the games last season, he looked to me to be more than just a "supporting player." Not that I'm convinced we should give him the huge, long-term contract...but I'm more concerned about his proneness to injury than I am about his play, at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't know if a Steelers LBr got 2 sacks and got several pressures I would consider it a good day. To each their own.
    He wasn't playing against NFL caliber players. Yup, to each his own, 2 sacks and some pressures is a good day against the passing game, but, the other team runs the ball as well and he didn't look good. The Steelers' defense looks to stop the run first, then everything else falls into place. He has two years of school left, from what I saw there, he should use both of them, IMO.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm glad. He is not a "franchise" type defender. You want to pay guys like Porter or Lloyd that kind of dough. Even Woodley (at the time), I was OK with. (Little did I realize, he was that type of guy who mailed it in.)

Worilds is a supporting player, pure and simple. Potentially a good one... but still, supporting. To pay him like an elite, main cog in your defense, is a mistake.
    nailed it......

Legend

User Info Menu

If you go back and watch the SB highlights with Arizona, Woodley was a force. No issue with the contract extension, and there was no way of knowing that he'd mail it in. Even then, the problem with Woodley wasn't the initial contract. It was the restructurings, which kept adding bonus money, which left the Steelers with so much dead money when he was cut.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He wasn't playing against NFL caliber players. Yup, to each his own, 2 sacks and some pressures is a good day against the passing game, but, the other team runs the ball as well and he didn't look good. The Steelers' defense looks to stop the run first, then everything else falls into place. He has two years of school left, from what I saw there, he should use both of them, IMO.

Pappy
    I'll grant you that. He is a better pass rusher than run defender at this stage in his career. I think all the film I have seen on Spence, and the games I have watched tell me that's accurate. He is a 240 pound guy who runs high 4.5's, low 4.6 with a good motor. At this point I consider him a late first round talent...early second, with much upside. The guy can get after a QB, but certainly needs to have better discipline in the run game. I would like to see him fight off blockers quicker as I seen him late to his assignment several times. With that said, IMO those are things he will get better at as he gets older, stronger and more experienced. He is a guy the Steelers will take a hard look at.

Per rotoworld...(I think this is pretty accurate)

Ohio State junior DE Noah Spence appeals to NFL scouts because he's "an athletic edge rusher with impressive speed and quickness," writes NFL.com's Bucky Brooks."Spence shows terrific snap-count anticipation and first-step quickness, but is still unpolished as a rusher off the edge," Brooks wrote. "He is still learning how to sequence his moves, but his impressive athleticism has allowed him to post solid production with a limited arsenal of pitches. If he can add a wrinkle or two to his game in the fall, Spence could be one of the most intriguing prospects to watch down the road." Spence led the Buckeyes with 8.5 sacks in 2013 but missed the Orange Bowl against Clemson after testing positive for a small amount of ecstasy
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    nailed it......
    I agree. At this point, I am unconvinced Worilds deserves a top tier contract. If he can stay healthy and post double digit sacks this season I may reconsider. But, as it stands I would rather see the Steelers go to the draft then pay this guy serious coin.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We're going to see who have the same tune after this year. When he dominate some games, then he walks. The Steelers made that bed the minute they put the tag on him.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    We're going to see who have the same tune after this year. When he dominate some games, then he walks. The Steelers made that bed the minute they put the tag on him.
    what if he doesn't dominate? Just sayin'...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    what if he doesn't dominate? Just sayin'...
    then that would allow the Steelers to either re-sign Worilds to a more reasonable longer-term contract or to just let him go in free agency and move on without him.