Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers judged to have NFLís 6th-worst roster

Pro Football Focus is a fun tool for fans that are too lazy to carefully watch games themselves and try to understand what they had just seen. In this instance, the old football saying, "That's why they play the games.", is appropriate.

NorthCoast: I call a team being "under the radar" when media types pretty much agree that the team won't do very well. So I say bring on more of these articles. Let's keep them coming all summer. I hope they all predict the Steelers to finish 4th in the division.

Ummm, what is your definition of "under the radar"?

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    NorthCoast: I call a team being "under the radar" when media types pretty much agree that the team won't do very well. So I say bring on more of these articles. Let's keep them coming all summer. I hope they all predict the Steelers to finish 4th in the division.

I agree. These guys need some bulletin board material.

We have had a couple of discussions regarding PFF in the past. The problem with a site like this is that it looks strictly at the result of a play, as opposed to the circumstances surrounding the play.

For example - Ike Taylor is rated below average. However, if you look at times where he gave up big plays, it would happen when he was singled up on Megatron (for example). Not saying that it is good to give up huge chunks of yards at anytime, but if another player gets torched by a guy like Nate Burleson, the resulting grade would be the same, but the two tasks are vastly different. If Ike would have been going up against opponents #2 all season long then he would not have given up as many plays, would have had a better score, but been the exact same player.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    We have had a couple of discussions regarding PFF in the past. The problem with a site like this is that it looks strictly at the result of a play, as opposed to the circumstances surrounding the play.

For example - Ike Taylor is rated below average. However, if you look at times where he gave up big plays, it would happen when he was singled up on Megatron (for example). Not saying that it is good to give up huge chunks of yards at anytime, but if another player gets torched by a guy like Nate Burleson, the resulting grade would be the same, but the two tasks are vastly different. If Ike would have been going up against opponents #2 all season long then he would not have given up as many plays, would have had a better score, but been the exact same player.
    Which is often the reason PFF rates lesser players higher than superior players.

by Dale Lolley
    Thursday, June 12, 2014

Some of those trashing the Pouncey signing point to Pro Football Focus' ranking of Pouncey outside the top 12 in NFL centers as proof.

PFF's rankings are ridiculous. Some of the same people who use the PFF rankings to rip Pouncey also rip cornerback William Gay, who was one of PFF's highest-rated cornerbacks in the NFL last season.

There is no way somebody sitting on a couch somewhere can accurately judge how well or how poorly every player on a football field performed on every given play of a game. It's just not possible without knowing assignments and other things that go into it.

That's not to say that PFF doesn't have some good statistics. The site's breakdowns on where plays are run and such are excellent.

But don't quote me their player rankings as the be-all, end-all. It's just not the case.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....-contract.html

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post

1. under the radar(Adverb)
      Without attracting notice; in an undetected or secretive manner.

so, to my point, an article like this will attract alot of attention because the model franchise is now supposedly looking shabby due to poor drafts and subpar roster.

I quit reading when Heath Miller is rated as average. Maybe in fantasy football stats. But you have the best TE in Steeler history and most likely the best all around TE in the league even AFTER 10 + years, someone is obviously not evaluating talent, or anything else. What a joke.

Backup
    No respect.

Nothing new,right here.

Wait and see.

NorthCoast said: "The good thing, the Steelers recognized shortcomings and have taken rather dramatic actions to fix them. It should be a fun season watching the new blood emerge!"

I think so too! For several years now I have been suggesting the team brings in Cowher as a consultant to evaluate possible player pickups. Really what that meant was something has to be done to reinstill the Steeler identity. Apparently they did.

Since day1 season end the moves could not have been better if BC was handling things. So whoever is there is okay.

But as they say pre-season talk is well just that. We'll see soon enough if all these moves pan out.