Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey extened for 5 more years ($44 million with $13 million signing bonus)

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey extened for 5 more years ($44 million with $13 million signing bonus)

Steelers extend Maurkice Pouncey by five years
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

At a time when Dolphins center Mike Pouncey has made no secret of his desire for a long-term contract, his twin brother has gotten one in Pittsburgh.

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has agreed to terms on a five-year extension worth, according to a source with knowledge of the contract, a little over $44 million. Coupled with the remaining year of his rookie contract, Maurkice has a six-year, $48 million contract.

The deal pays Maurkice a signing bonus of $13 million. That’s more than the signing bonus paid last week to 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. And that should help the agents for young franchise quarterbacks make the case that Kaepernick deal isn’t the beginning of a trend but an aberration.

Thanks to non-guaranteed roster bonuses payable on the third day of the 2015 and 2016 league years, Pouncey will pocket $17.75 million by March of next year. He’ll have $23 million earned by March of 2016, and $26.5 million through the first three years.

Amazingly, the new money exceeds the package paid earlier this year by the Browns to center Alex Mack. Mack had signed a five-year, $42 million offer sheet in Jacksonville, which the Browns matched. Maurkice Pouncey’s $44 million over five comes roughly nine months after tearing an ACL — and with a full year left on his rookie deal.

In new money, he’s the highest paid center at $8.8 million per year. The total deal, with the final year of the existing contract, averages just over $8 million.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/steelers-extend-maurkice-pouncey-by-five-years/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great news. He will live up to the deal. Heyward is on deck

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Great news. He will live up to the deal. Heyward is on deck
    I agree, lets get Heyward signed now.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Interesting... I'm not really surprised but that's a lot of $$. I hope he stays healthy and I hope he improves against those big NTs that he sometimes struggles with.

I do like that this is an extension from the end of his rookie rock which is 6 years total.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Heartache for some in 3-2-1 BOOOOOMMMM
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Since we exercised the 5th year option on Heyward prior to the draft, he is now locked up for $8.25 million over the next two seasons. He's due $1.29 million for the last year of his 4 year rookie deal, and $6.97 million for the 5th year option.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just as we discussed, 8 million per year. I have mixed feelings about this signing but really like Pouncey as a player. I don't understand the cap and won't claim to be an expert in that regard. The only way I will take issue with this is if we allow talent at a skill position to leave (once again) in order to retain an interior OLman.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

For comparison's sake, here is what we gave Antonio Brown two years ago: a six-year, $43.04 million contract, including an $8.5 million signing bonus and an additional $3.85 million "signing" bonus in the second year. If you consider how much a role inflation plays in NFL contracts over a 2 year period, it's a very similar deal. Teams get into trouble when they give blockbuster deals in which more than half the contract is fully guaranteed. Pouncey's signing bonus, like Brown's before him, is somewhat reasonable. If they live up to expectations, they will get handsomely paid, and both sides will be happy. If not, the signing bonus is not so overbearing to be a cap killer if either player isn't living up to their end of the bargain.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess the question I would have for you Ruthless is who is more important to this team?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They overpaid a little, but 6 years $48 mil total isnt too bad. if the extension was 5 years $38 million instead of $44 million no one would care...they gave him a market deal, but realistically hes not making the total value of the contract.

They overpaid timmons a little and now hes king on the defense

They overpaid antonio brown and he lived up to it and now that deal looks like a bargain

Woodley flopped after his extension, which was crippling but anyone who signs a lucrative deal and doesnt live up to it will hurt the team significantly