Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey extened for 5 more years ($44 million with $13 million signing bonus)

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    your post are based on EGO
    Your Posts are NOT based on the English language. (Your verb and noun do not match.)

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree - I'd try to lock up Allen now if I was the Steelers. On the flip side, if I'm Cortez Allen - do I bet on myself? Even a low level long-term deal leaves you set for life, but how much do you potentially leave on the table, weighed against the risk of injury.

I wonder if he'd go for something like a 3 year, $12 million dollar deal. Gives him money now and lets him hit free agency at 28. Could be a win-win.

That was spoken like an agent! That would be the counter to a lower #. Try & get the term down so if he outplays the contract....He could become a FA again in his prime for a bigger payday like you stated.

Hall of Famer
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would love to see a 5 for 20 kind of deal. I think he would go for something like that. 20 million sets him for life even after taxes. Guaranteed money, with a possibility of injury and not playing past that contract are both thoughts that would have to go through his head.

That's about dead on where I see it. I think you don't exceed the Lewis deal but your 5/20 is a good deal for the Steelers. 6 mil SB keeps it easy to get out of if.

Pro Bowler
    this deal will come back and bite us.
    average/good player getting top dollar.
    when decent players leave in the future because we are cap strapped, look no further than this deal.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    No problem with the signing, but I don't see the Cortez love affair here. He hasn't shown me anything yet.
    Cortez Allen leads all Steeler corners in takeaways in the time since he has been a Steeler.
    He has started a total of 10 games.

During his only 3 starts in 2012, he created more turnovers than any single corner on this team has had TOTAL since the day Cortez was drafted.

I am not suggesting we break the bank, but I offer an upper mid range starter deal which would be a huge raise for him. Worse case he is a capable starter. Upside possibility is that we might have a probowl caliber guy on the relative cheap locked up long term.

Worse case if we don't sign him is that he DOES show he is worth way more than we can afford and walks. Or we are FORCED to pay him big bucks to keep him.

We then have an ancient Ike on a STEEP decline and nothing beyond the host of late round picks and free agent cast offs we currently have. I know Lake talks these guys up, but you DONT wind up getting picked late or dumped from former teams because of anything GOOD about your game.

Actually Allen finished the year pretty strong showing growth. If not Allen then who?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Your Posts are NOT based on the English language. (Your verb and noun do not match.)
    sue me... .

..and posts shouldn't be plural.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Reports are saying that Pouncey's deal surpasses Alex Mack for the highest paid contract in football. Sure, 5 years for $44 million is more than 5 years for $42 million, but Mack has $26 million guaranteed. Pouncey's signing bonus is half that amount. We ended up with a much better contract. Of course, it helps that the Steelers structured this contract in a way that was suitable to them, while Cleveland had to match the contract that Jacksonville gave to Mack. Pouncey cap hit for 2014 actually decreases slightly with this deal, while Cleveland had to swallow a $10 million cap hit right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Reports are saying that Pouncey's deal surpasses Alex Mack for the highest paid contract in football. Sure, 5 years for $44 million is more than 5 years for $42 million, but Mack has $26 million guaranteed. Pouncey's signing bonus is half that amount. We ended up with a much better contract. Of course, it helps that the Steelers structured this contract in a way that was suitable to them, while Cleveland had to match the contract that Jacksonville gave to Mack. Pouncey cap hit for 2014 actually decreases slightly with this deal, while Cleveland had to swallow a $10 million cap hit right off the bat.
    Good point.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    which is HUGE....