Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Pouncey extened for 5 more years ($44 million with $13 million signing bonus)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Not a center playing better football than pouncey right now....overpaid POS
    yeah, can you imagine how much better we would be right now if we had only signed Fernando Velasco and cut Pouncey's overrated arse?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    yeah, can you imagine how much better we would be right now if we had only signed Fernando Velasco and cut Pouncey's overrated arse?
    smh, but since they signed Pouncey

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    smh

Pappy
    I was being sarcastic...

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey: 'I just think it's my time'

Posted 5 hours ago

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

Center Maurkice Pouncey continues to lead the way.

Maurkice Pouncey might not be the oldest player on the Steelers offense. He isn’t even the oldest one on the Steelers offensive line. But the sixth year center understands what it means to be a veteran, what being a leader is all about.

Pouncey, who referred to the team’s rookies as ‘the kids’ this week, took those same ‘kids’ out to dinner at the Capital Grille, along with Marcus Gilbert, a way to reach out and welcome them into the fold and make them understand what being a part of the Steelers’ team is all about.

“I just think it’s my time to start looking after the young guys, time to breed them,” said Pouncey. “All the kids look good and listen well. They are a fun group. They like to laugh a lot. I like them.”

It’s the first time he has done it, and while he joked that they ate a lot of steak and the bill was high, it was a gesture that went a long way.

“It was a great time,” said rookie center B.J. Finney. “For those guys to reach out to us and let us know they were here for us to help us out, if we had questions we could come to them. They welcomed us to Pittsburgh from a veteran standpoint.

“It means everything to have that leadership. If you don’t have the leadership or the coaching of the older guys to help take you through the smaller things to help you improve your game and play on Sundays, without those guys you don’t get that influence or hints that work. Right now it is everything.”

It’s just another example of how tight the offensive line is. They look out for each other, with Pouncey and Gilbert looking out for the rookies in this case.

They have always been close, with the core group of veterans as tight as any unit you will see. While they are many parts, they perform as one and there are times, you would think they are just one person.

“I feel like they are my twin brothers. I love them to death,” said Pouncey of his fellow veteran offensive linemen. “We go out there and work really hard together. You can appreciate the amount of work we put in together. We work out together, we do everything together. We are a band of brothers when we are out there playing and we’ll never let a guy down.

“We built such a great relationship. We are perfect for each other. We like to joke around but whenever it’s time to go to work everybody puts their hand in there and goes after it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-I-just-think-its-my-time/5dd6fdff-88e0-437b-af85-a801ef871cd9[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Theres no question that its his oline....i just hope decastro takes as big of a leap as pouncey did last year. He went from being good to being a legitimate superstar under munchak.

Too bad they signed the overrated POS that has only regressed since his rookie year amirght

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers look to revive running game again

Ray Fittipaldo

The Steelers improved their rushing game in 2014, jumping 11 spots in the NFL rankings. After finishing 27th in the league in rushing in 2013 they finished last season ranked 16th.

The Steelers led the league in rushing for a short time in September and remained a top 10 rushing team well into December before teams began focusing on stopping it. In the final three games of the regular season the Steelers were held to 45 yards on 22 attempts by Atlanta, to 68 yards on 26 attempts against Kansas City and to 29 yards on 18 attempts by Cincinnati.

The Steelers won all three games, but good running teams pride themselves on being able to run on any team in any situation so there remains room for improvement.

With all five offensive linemen returning as well as the top two tight ends there is reason to believe the Steelers can take another step in their development and be a top 10 rushing team over the course of an entire season.

“I hope so,” center Maurkice Pouncey said. “We’ve been really working at it. We have some really great running backs. Coach [Mike] Munchak has been doing a great job teaching us the different techniques and homing in on our base run game. We’ve been watching a lot of film so hopefully we can build on it.”

The Steelers must overcome the loss of All-Pro running back Le’Veon Bell for the first three games of the season. Bell rushed for 1,361 yards in his second NFL season.

DeAngelo Williams was signed in free agency to be his replacement early in the season and teams could take the opposite approach they employed at the end of last season. Instead of concentrating on limiting the running game they could focus on stopping Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game, which finished second in the league in passing offense a year ago.

It will be up to Munchak to make the necessary adjustments, something he has done well since coming on board as offensive line coach before last season.

“He’s done a great job,” Pouncey said. “He really knows how to adjust to his players. He doesn’t coach everyone the same. He gives the guy what he needs. All the guys respect him. If you can’t learn from a guy like that, the way he played, made the Hall of Fame, the techniques he brings, you don’t need to be here.”

Munchak used zone blocking techniques when he was the head coach and offensive line coach at Tennessee, but he has used that scheme sparingly with the Steelers. The Steelers used a man blocking scheme previously and Munchak has adjusted to his personnel and what they do well.

“We’ll probably do the same things,” Pouncey said. “We might add some new plays. He sees we’re capable of doing a lot more. He’s doing a great job of adjusting with us. He likes the things we like, but he also puts in the things he likes. When we have a group like we do, and you can talk to each other and tell each other what we like to do and don’t like to do, it works out a lot better.”

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/05/22/Steelers-look-to-revive-running-game-again[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey: 'We did a good job of blocking'

Posted May 25, 2015

Center Maurkice Pouncey offers his take on a few topics.

Center Maurkice Pouncey shared his thoughts on a variety of topics, from the ground game to offensive line Coach Mike Munchak and more.

-- On the ground game improving last season: “We have really been working at it. We have some great running backs. Coach (Mike) Munchak is doing a great job teaching us some different techniques and honing in to our base run game. We did a great job with it. Hopefully we have been watching a lot of film and we can build on it.”

-- On sacks being down: “We did a good job of blocking. Ben (Roethlisberger) did a good job of getting the ball out. The backs did a good job of blocking. Hopefully we can stay on the same track and do a good job of keeping him up.”

-- On Mike Munchak and what he has brought to the offensive line: “He knows how to adjust to his players. He doesn’t coach every guy the same. He gives the guy whatever he really needs. He is doing a great job with that. All of the guys respect him. If you can’t learn form a guy like that, a guy that made the Hall of Fame and the technique he brings, you don’t need to be here.”

-- On running back DeAngelo Williams: “We like him. He is adjusting really well. He has a great attitude toward things. He played in a two-back system before so for him to come and jump in will be awesome for him and us.”

-- On if they can be the best offense in the NFL: “I think there is a good chance, but words never really take you that far. We have to go out there and do it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-We-did-a-good-job-of-blocking/65de4ade-a8b3-4ff2-84a2-ba9ee5c3d3f2[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey not looking for credit

Posted 19 hours ago

Center Maurkice Pouncey isn't one who needs a pat on the back for the performance of the offensive line.

Last season the Steelers offense set records in both the passing and running game, with Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell all earning praise for their efforts.

Those three, though, are the first to say it all starts up front with the offensive line. They never hesitate to give the big guys the credit.

Just don’t share those words of praise with center Maurkice Pouncey, as the Pro Bowler isn’t looking for compliments or a pat on the back.

“Offensive linemen don’t need that much credit,” quipped Pouncey on Tuesday, the first day of the team’s minicamp. “Ben, Le’Veon and AB can get it.”

But it took a strong, consistent, healthy offensive line last year to open the holes for Bell and give Roethlisberger the protection he needed. That has to be something for Pouncey to hang his hat on, right?

“We look back on it and we look at the things we could have done a lot better,” said Pouncey. “It could have been a lot more productive, but we are glad about last year and hopefully we can build on it.”

The line has been working on building on their performance from last season from the minute offseason workouts began. And Pouncey has led the way, from the weight room to the field, making sure everybody is doing their job while functioning as one.

“We just have to keep working, attacking the day the right way,” said Pouncey. “Having our mindset on the right things and not having many mistakes. You can look bad when you are messing up. I think all the guys are on the right track and we are looking positive now.”

One of the key factors in the way the line is looking is the input from offensive line coach Mike Munchak. Now in his second year on the job, his impact is felt even more, as is his tough approach, and they love it.

“He is a lot harder on us now,” said Pouncey. “He knows us, he knows what he can say to us, and he knows how to push us in the right way. He has enhanced all of our careers. I wouldn’t want anybody else, I am glad to have him here. He has been a great role model and a great person to me.”

The Steelers still have two more days of minicamp before they take a little over a month off before reporting to Saint Vincent College for training camp on July 25. For Pouncey and his teammates, though, there really is no such thing as a ‘month off.’

“You have to focus in,” said Pouncey. “You have to go to training hard and get in really good shape. Training camp is going to be hard, hot and a lot of hitting. Get the body ready, prepared and workout all of the time and see how things turn out.”

Pouncey encourages the young offensive linemen to listen up and be prepared too, because once camp starts things move 100 miles an hour and there is no margin for error.

“They just have to come in and work hard, get in the playbook and don’t go out there and make mistakes,” said Pouncey. “That would be the worst thing to happen to you in camp. That’s how you get yourself cut. I think all of the guys are smart and doing a good job with things and we’ll see how they roll out.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-not-looking-for-credit/3292310d-c215-4e7f-ac67-19d6808dc128[/URL]