Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign first round pick Ryan Shazier to four-year deal

Steelers sign first round pick Ryan Shazier to four-year deal

June 5, 2014
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Before this week, the Steelers were working their way up from the bottom of their draft, signing rookies in the reverse order in which they selected them last month.

Then came the LaMarr Woodley windfall, and on Thursday they went right to the top to sign linebacker Ryan Shazier, their first-round draft choice.

Woodley was released in March with a June designation which meant the savings on his $8 million salary for 2014 would not come until June 2. Because another player’s salary had to replace his on the top 51 that counts in the offseason, the Steelers received about $7.5 million more in salary cap space.

They used some of that to sign Shazier, who signed a four-year contract worth $9.5 million. More than half of that comes in a signing bonus of $5.23 million with nearly all of it, $9 million, guaranteed against injury.

All drafted rookies are required to sign four-year contracts with the exception of first-rounders, who are subject to a fifth-year club option.

Shazier, who played at Ohio State, has been practicing with the first team at inside linebacker this spring. No rookie has started a regular-season opener on defense for the Steelers since 2001.

His signing leaves the Steelers with three of their nine draft picks unsigned from rounds two, three and four – Stephon Tuitt, Dri Archer and Martavis Bryant.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201406050346[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

With the extra cap space we should lock him up with an extension before he gets really good...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    With the extra cap space we should lock him up with an extension before he gets really good...
    Ghost, I'm glad to see you back and posting.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Glad to see Shazier officially sign, now I just hope he turns out to be the player Tomlin and Colbert saw.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Glad to see Shazier officially sign, now I just hope he turns out to be the player Tomlin and Colbert saw.
    If Shazier and Jarvis can learn to produce in the NFL the same way they did in college, this defense will be incredible...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Shazier and Jarvis can learn to produce in the NFL the same way they did in college, this defense will be incredible...
    We don't want that. It will ruin our agenda that St LeBeau is too old and too complex for the NFL anymore. I think our ideas on how the D should be run are much better than that old geezer.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    We don't want that. It will ruin our agenda that St LeBeau is too old and too complex for the NFL anymore. I think our ideas on how the D should be run are much better than that old geezer.
    Yes, after drafting players for the 3/4 for DECADES, we geniuses here know if we become a 4/3 team our players will MAGICALLY become more effective.

So Jones MUST struggle, and Shazier must bust, so we can change our defense.

We would be a sack machine just by changing our scheme.

After all, _________ (name the player) would get double digit sacks as a 4/3 DE.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    If you haven't noticed, Rooney must have put a wing tip up LeBoo's back side. I think Art 2 got as sick as we did of having to hear how LeBoo despised playing rookies, or even 2nd year players in too many instances. Do you really think a 76-year old coach changed his philosophies all on his own, or did that size 11 wing tip alter his attitude a little bit. I applaud Art 2 for doing it. It was long overdue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    If you haven't noticed, Rooney must have put a wing tip up LeBoo's back side. I think Art 2 got as sick as we did of having to hear how LeBoo despised playing rookies, or even 2nd year players in too many instances. Do you really think a 76-year old coach changed his philosophies all on his own, or did that size 11 wing tip alter his attitude a little bit. I applaud Art 2 for doing it. It was long overdue.
    When a rookie is competing against guys like James Farrior, James Harrison, Aaron Smith, and Casey Hampton for starting jobs, the rookie is going to get a seat on the bench to learn from the saavy vets.

When a rookie is competing against guys like Vince Williams, Terrence Garvin, Cam Thomas, and Brian Arnfelt, the rookie is going to get a chance to unseat these guys for starting jobs.

It really is just that simple. But by all means continue with your Leboo/wingtip theories.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

This guy has Hofer written all over him.