Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notes from OTAs

Legend

User Info Menu

Notes from OTAs

Get excited - there is a battle of the punters!

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6220845-74/steelers-defensive-draft#axzz33dpavq8I[/url]

Even though it is early and means nothing, nice to see a positive report on Wheaton.

Legend

User Info Menu

According to this report, Justin Brown is looking good:

[url]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2014/06/week-2-of-otas-start.html[/url]

Wexell also thinks he beats out DHB as the #5 WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Even though it is early and means nothing, nice to see a positive report on Wheaton.
    I'm very surprised there was so much dislike and low expectations for the kid this year. Even on the bench, he was on the team, watching, learning. Not his fault he was stuck behind Sanders, Cotchery and AB, even when healthy. They were solid. All of 'em. If we had high expectations last year, I have those same expectations THIS year. Just didn't see the sense in the 1st round WR so many were asking for.

Picking a project with potential in the middle rounds, while we're secure with AB, Lance Moore and potential for veteran FA if Wheaton looks bad in camp - perfect decision. I give them an A+ for how they handled WR this offseason
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

by Mark Kaboly

* We all may look back on the offseason signing of Lance Moore and call it brilliant. Moore has been tremendous through the first two weeks of OTAs, and he’s just learning the offense and just getting used to Ben Roethlisberger.

Wait until he knows what he’s doing.

I hate to put numbers on players in OTAs, but I will. From what I’ve seen from Moore, I wouldn’t be surprised with 60 catches for 850 yards and seven touchdowns.

* Mike Mitchell instantly makes the Steelers defense better. Now, I am not exactly breaking news here, but comparing the closing speed of Mitchell and Ryan Clark last year is night and day.

* With close to 90 players on the field at the same time, it’s hard to focus on one player. Usually one or two will jump out at you that get you to pay a little closer attention. Saying that, I have yet to notice Stephon Tuitt at all. Once again, I haven’t been looking for him, but he hasn’t done anything that made me notice, either. Maybe I’ll be closer attention on Thursday?

* Steve McLendon looks a lot leaner. Jason Worilds looks a lot thicker. Jarvis Jones looks the same. Lawrence Timmons looks like one of the best linebackers in the NFL.

* I still say wide receiver Justin Brown has a chance to be this year’s Derek Moye. Just keep him in mind.

* Saying that, linebacker Vic So’oto just may be pushing Chris Carter out of the door. Yet another battle to keep an eye on.

* Rookie cornerback Shaquille Richardson is a nice bump-and-run guy … well, from what I’ve seen. He’s no Terry Hawthorne, I’ll tell you that.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/06/04/kaboly-tomlins-message-to-martavis-bryant/#ixzz33me9I5xu[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

* With close to 90 players on the field at the same time, it’s hard to focus on one player. Usually one or two will jump out at you that get you to pay a little closer attention. Saying that, I have yet to notice Stephon Tuitt at all. Once again, I haven’t been looking for him, but he hasn’t done anything that made me notice, either. Maybe I’ll be closer attention on Thursday?
    How are linemen supposed to be noticeable at OTA's when there is no contact? The main focus is on WR and CB with RB and LB running around as well, but all that OL and DL can do out there is play patty cake with one another.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

#5 wr should be able to help on special teams. DHB vs Brown may come down to that. Brown in his small playing sample last year and at camp looked excellent on punt returns and kick coverage. Will that be enough to keep him around? Probably not in and of itself however if he improves as a wr and shows those special team skills he may get the spot over a DHB. A camp battle to watch for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dang it, I knew it was too good to be true, Tuitt is a bust, Kaboly didn't notice him on the field, a wasted pick.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Dang it, I knew it was too good to be true, Tuitt is a bust, Kaboly didn't notice him on the field, a wasted pick.

Pappy
    Crap I just got his jersey

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    by Mark Kaboly

I don't care who you are. That there is funny
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Crap I just got his jersey
    I just signed him to a ten year contract extension...