Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notes from OTAs

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger leading way at OTAs

June, 6, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger merely confirmed after the Pittsburgh Steelers' final practice this week what his actions on the field the last two weeks have shown.

"I feel younger than ever," the Steelers quarterback said Thursday.

QB Ben Roethlisberger has high expectations for the Steelers' offense in 2014.

That much is evident by Roethlisberger doing some extra jogging in when he is not running the Steelers' offense during organized team activities. Or directing a two-minute drill that ends with him firing a touchdown pass to Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown on a slant pattern, something Roethlisberger did Thursday.

The only time Roethlisberger shows his age -- he turned 32 in March -- is when the 10th-year veteran is directing an offense that is his now more than at any point of his decorated career.

Roethlisberger may not be Peyton Manning with all of the hand gestures and barking of signals, but he is not far off.

And it is only June.

No one is more responsible for an offense that came into its own in the second half of last season integrating new players and inexperienced ones than Roethlisberger.

Gone are two of his top three wide receivers from last season -- and the 1,342 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns that Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery combined for in 2013. The backfield has also undergone change with the Steelers signing LeGarrette Blount and drafting speedy fast Dri Archer to complement Le'Veon Bell.

Roethlisberger is charged with pulling everything together, and he has clearly embraced that responsibility while not tempering his expectations for the offense in 2014.

"I think we have a lot of speed," said Roethlisberger, who played every snap last season while throwing for 4,261 yards, the second-highest single-season total of his career. "That's running the ball, that's throwing the ball, whatever. I want us to be fast and put a lot of points on the board."

The Steelers averaged just under 28 points in the final eight games last season. Roethlisberger is the key to them building on that and he has been nothing but a leader during OTAs. Roethlisberger has been front and center at the offseason practices, missing only one of them because of a family obligation.

"I love being out here. I love the game," Roethlisberger said. "I'm excited about this team and the direction we're headed."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6942/ben-roethlisberger-leading-the-way-at-otas[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

So Kaboly says, "McClendon looks a lot leaner". Funny because McClendon has added 17 pounds and per the Post Gazette "now weighs a robust 330 at 6 foot 4".

Maybe he hasn't noticed Tuitt because his observational skills suck.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So Kaboly says, "McClendon looks a lot leaner". Funny because McClendon has added 17 pounds and per the Post Gazette "now weighs a robust 330 at 6 foot 4".

Maybe he hasn't noticed Tuitt because his observational skills suck.
    It also said he hit the weights more and stopped doing as much long distance type running, and upped his protein, all of which could make one look "leaner" even though he gained weight. I am guessing you have no experience on this front. Muscle weighs more than fat. When you hit free weights, you may appear more lean while you actually gained over all weight. I am not shocked you were not aware of this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey, idiot boy showed up. Thanks for the tips you fat, ignorant couch slug. It was obviously a tongue in cheek comment. But since we know your IQ is in the 70 range you missed it. Maybe if you're good today you'll be allowed to go outside without having to wear your helmet.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hey, idiot boy showed up. Thanks for the tips you fat, ignorant couch slug. It was obviously a tongue in cheek comment. But since we know your IQ is in the 70 range you missed it. Maybe if you're good today you'll be allowed to go outside without having to wear your helmet.

I am quite sure you have never touched a weight in your life, thus, your immaturity and defensiveness. Reading comic books doesn't make you have any special powers, and it most certainly, doesn't cause you to increase muscle mass. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, I will take you to my gym for a free work out lesson. You will be fine; they have girl-level weights so anyone can lift. You might look like Obama in doing so, but don't let that bring you down.

Legend

User Info Menu

You seem very agitated today. Did you not get your pudding after lunch? I'm sorry.

Quick question dumb beats - Did your parents have any children that lived?

Backup

User Info Menu

" Muscle weighs more than fat. When you hit free weights, you may appear more lean while you actually gained over all weight. "
    Sorry Sick, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Now it's their mass that is different not the weight, slow down a bit when you type. I use your line with my students quite often some catch it some do not

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Reading comic books doesn't make you have any special powers...
    Dude, what is this obsession you have with comic books?

Did comic books kill your father or something?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm okay with Kaboly but his OTA analysis be it good,bad or ugly is not going to be much for us to get excited about or worry about here in June.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.
    that's like the old joke: "what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?"