Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: It's way too early to worry about Jarvis Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    He's not an "elite" pass rusher. I think that is pretty obvious. He runs 4.9. He can't beat NFL tackles by simply lining up and whipping them--too slow, too small. But as Dukes said, he does have ability. This is where the coaching and personnel come in.

Personnel has done their job. They brought in Shazier to team with Timmons. That inside cross blitz should be back in the playbook soon. They also brought in Tuitt, who can provide pressure. Coaching has to do their job now. They've moved Heyward to Jarvis' side, thereby giving him more opportunities with lesser blockers (TEs, RBs). He better feast on those.

It is these tweaks that are going to say how Jarvis develops, because the guy isn't Von Miller, Aldon Smith, or Clay Matthews. He is in Peezy/Greg Lloyd mold more (both of whom also couldn't beat good OTs very often).
    Running a 4.9 is meaningless when talking about pass rushing...what you need is a quick first step, which he has...

I've stated this before and you can verify it for yourself:

Jones' 10 yard split in that 40 time is equal to Aldon Smith's...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Running a 4.9 is meaningless when talking about pass rushing...what you need is a quick first step, which he has...

EXACTLY!

The only time the 40 matters for a LB is when he picks off a pass or picks up a fumble and is headed the other way. Otherwise it's his short-range quickness.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    They brought in Shazier to team with Timmons. That inside cross blitz should be back in the playbook soon.
    That should be really fun to watch. That inside cross blitz was effective when we used to run it with Farrior and Foote. The upgrade in speed to Shazier and Timmons could make Farrior and Foote look like Casey Hampton and Jamain Stephens trying to run the conditioning test.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That should be really fun to watch. That inside cross blitz was effective when we used to run it with Farrior and Foote. The upgrade in speed to Shazier and Timmons could make Farrior and Foote look like Casey Hampton and Jamain Stephens trying to run the conditioning test.
    The guy on the sideline has to call the play. I've never understood why Timmons is not used more for blitzing.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The guy on the sideline has to call the play. I've never understood why Timmons is not used more for blitzing.
    Pending on where Timmons starts from don't you have to have someone at least cover his zone briefly to discourage a pass into that area? That might mean Willianms? I don't think so. Jones? Probably not. Heyward or Hood? Doubtful. Worilds? Maybe. Polamalu or Clark? Here are your best options provided the opponent isn't running 3 or 4 verticals.

Before you start sending people after the quarterback, you need to have some cover behind it, don't you? The Steeler defense was lacking in so many places last year that blaming the play calling is like blaming a fork for being obese.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Meaningless?

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

I would agree that there isn't a direct correlation between 40 time and playing ability, but to say that it is meaningless, isn't being objective. I'm struggling to think of an OLB with 4.9 speed, let alone an OLB with 4.9 speed who became a star.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I would agree that there isn't a direct correlation between 40 time and playing ability, but to say that it is meaningless, isn't being objective. I'm struggling to think of an OLB with 4.9 speed, let alone an OLB with 4.9 speed who became a star.
    I don't remember Terrell Suggs 40 time offhand, but I know it wasn't good.

Suggs ran a 4.85, which is what Jones supposedly ran...Jones also reportedly tweaked a hamstring during his 40, but continued with the workout anyway...

Im not sure why the only 40-time people are using for JJ is the one from the Georgia Pro-Day when he had a bad hammy. According to the Sporting News heading into his final season at Georgia, Jones was listed as running a 4.65 40-yard dash.

In his first season at Georgia after transferring from USC, Jones (6-3, 241, 4.65 40-yard dash) displayed the game-changing talent to make plays behind the line—something that was expected of him when he first arrived at USC. Jones has the agility to change directions in a blur to avoid blocks, and the lightning-quick burst to finish plays, which led to his 19 tackles for loss and 13 sacks in 2011. With so many NFL teams playing 3-4 defenses, Jones could be a top 10 pick as an outside linebacker because there is a premium on playmakers at that position. Projection: First-round pick

Btw, James Harrison was timed at one point at 4.85 in the 40. So again, the 40 doesn't really equate to ability to play LB.

Back to Harrison and those "measurables." Can you guess what his 40-yard time was? It was 4.85. I believe he was able to make it to the quarterback over 60 times during his career in Pittsburgh.

Oh, and there was that 100-yard dash--he sure looked pretty fast there:

Truthfully, JH did not look fast in that 100 yard dash...it was a combo of good blocking and the same indomitable will that made an undrafted player who was cut four times into a Defensive Player of the Year...