Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The guy seems to have a tremendous lack of common sense.

Promote your rap act all you want--just don't do it a minute after we just got beat in the playoffs by Tim Tebow.

Support your murderous friend all you want--but don't go wearing "FREE HERNANDEZ" hats, when all the world hates him.

He either likes to be a $h!t-stirrer... not a good quality in an O-lineman. (O-linemen tend to be workmanlike, strong/silent types.)

Or he really is that clueless... again, not a common trait among the best linemen.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Pouncey hasn't done anything wrong (supported a friend prior to much evidence being shown) and fans that don't like him see what they want to see and, that is to believe that the Steeler O-line was better without him, maybe the question should be: How much greater would the O-line have been with him?

I like him and hope he sticks around for a long time; he makes the Steelers better.

Pappy
    It's one of those things where you separate the person and the player. As a player, I undoubtedly think he makes the team better, and I think its in the Steelers best interest to retain him.

The rap tweets moments after a playoff loss, Free Hernandez and the rest are the reason why many people dislike him. You can dislike an athlete and root for them to succeed, for the betterment of a team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's one of those things where you separate the person and the player. As a player, I undoubtedly think he makes the team better, and I think its in the Steelers best interest to retain him.

The rap tweets moments after a playoff loss, Free Hernandez and the rest are the reason why many people dislike him. You can dislike an athlete and root for them to succeed, for the betterment of a team.
    I can understand the off field stuff but plenty of people think he is over rated ON the field as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

In my opinion, you get into a gray area with "On field/Off field" stuff when you start talking about leadership material...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    some interesting discussion.

it all comes down to dollars as ovi pointed out. anything much above 7 and you have to let him walk, IMO, or risk losing a heyward, decastro, whoever, etc. you cant pay everybody and you know ben is getting paid. is pouncey overrated? maybe a little i think. i might spend that money elsewhere if an adequate center can be had and coached up by munchak.

there are compelling arguments on both sides of this one
    It is really about the money. The Steelers proabaly want to pay Pouncey less than he will want. After the Wallace situation, we know (and so does Pouncey and his agent) the Steelers won't budge from their position so how good Pouncey is on the field is moot because he will leave to get the money. If Pouncey's demand is to be the top paid Center in the NFL he is essentially telling the Steelers I want to leave and both sides will know that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

what is the point of drafting a first rounder if you don't want to pay him? I think we will try everything we can to get a deal done.

I could see if Pouncey was a 3rd or 4th rounder who exploded on the scene but they drafted the #1 center with their first pick. You don't sign a guy like that and let him walk unless he stinks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even David DeCastro doesn't like him.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

1) I think he is overrated at C
    2) I don't think he improved much at all since his rookie year
    3) The promotion tweet right after the Denver loss
    4) The Hernandez hat
    5) He has the potential to be the best C in the NFL and but I believe he is "resting on his and the Steelers previous center's laurels"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Wow. People let this one go for an hour?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    LOL......that there is funny

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher