Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Every thread or post about Pouncey always has a disclaimer when discussing keeping Pouncey on the team.

He's good but...
    While I'm not a fan of his..
    I know he has 3 Pro Bowls but...
    He started out great but hasn't improved...

Is it Hernendez?
    The rap tweet after a loss?
    The injuries?
    Last preseason?
    Gator hate?

Just wondering why a player who is recognized and respected by so many in the NFL, our FO and our teammates gets this much criticism.

Legend

User Info Menu

I recognize the Pounceys were just trying to support their friend, but the insensitivity they showed towards the victims with this pic borders on plain ignorance and stupidity...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I recognize the Pounceys were just trying to support their friend, but the insensitivity they showed towards the victims with this pic borders on plain ignorance and stupidity...

plus one....

Backup

User Info Menu

Yea hanging with thugs. Being hurt for Super Bowl run. Over rated play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Is it Hernendez?
    The rap tweet after a loss?
    These two for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

It is that after he was hurt the OL eventually got better getting two players "off the street" to replace him. Would we have been even better with him, I guess we will see this season.

I also think many people, me being one, see a Mike Wallace situation shaping up with Pouncey. The Steelers will make a fair and solid offer and he will want top money so he will reject it. This will likely end up with him leaving like Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It is that after he was hurt the OL eventually got better getting two players "off the street" to replace him. Would we have been even better with him, I guess we will see this season.

I also think many people, me being one, see a Mike Wallace situation shaping up with Pouncey. The Steelers will make a fair and solid offer and he will want top money so he will reject it. This will likely end up with him leaving like Wallace.
    I think that is a fair assessment...in that many see this ending the same as it did with Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    These two for me.
    agreed.. the "Rap tweet" after a loss isn't exactly the display of character shown by a leader... in my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

first 4 for me plus
    overated
    wasnt missed when gone
    hasnt improved since rookie year
    will demand huge money AND leave OR
    if paid huge money will hurt the team from signing other FAs
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it's mostly "all of the above." For me, it's the culmination of these things.

- The disappointing injury-ending injuries. Were they his fault? Nope. But in both instances, those injuries "took the wind out of the team's sails." Was it his fault DD blasted his knee sideways? (Actually, I blame the coaches for installing a scheme seemingly low on morals and ethics.) But this is the NFL; if you can't stay on the field, for whatever reason, you are a hindrance to your team. We love our team; his injuries were a gut punch. Even though it's not his fault, it adds to our collective displeasure of him over all.

- The fact that many feel he is overrated and I feel he is so for a few reasons. 1.) He was drafted in the 1st round by the Steelers. Dude to our perceived success in drafting - especially in the 1st round - I think the media and fans assume if you are drafted in the first round by Pgh, it means you are automatically pro bowl level. 2.) He is a center drafted by Pgh. Our history says you will be a great center if drafted high by the Steelers. 3.) He looks the part.4.) His teammates feel he is a leader. For all those reasons, I believe he is assumed to be much better than he actually is, and that makes some of us not like him very much. I still maintain that the two back up, hired off their couches, played better than MP did. The OL got BETTER without him.

- The thug element. If I have a friend, who by all evidence, obviously murdered 3 people, I would not sport a hat saying, "Free so and so." That is beyond crass. Those 3 people have moms, dads, sisters, brothers who's hearts are ripped in pieces because they lost someone they loved. And these bozos wear hats saying to "Free Hernandez?" A witness has come forward and said, he killed to two people because one spilled a drink on him and didn't apologize. And that after he shot into the car, he said, "I got one in the head and the other one in the chest." Over a spilled drink, and they still support the guy.

I don't think any of us are "Gator Haters." If a player come from UF, and he makes us better, I could care less if he is from UF. I don't care what school a player is from, as long as he makes us better. I don't care if they are from Slippery Rock. To answer your question, I really think it's the collective issues that makes some of us just not care for the guy.
    Last edited by sick beats; 06-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.