Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

some interesting discussion.

it all comes down to dollars as ovi pointed out. anything much above 7 and you have to let him walk, IMO, or risk losing a heyward, decastro, whoever, etc. you cant pay everybody and you know ben is getting paid. is pouncey overrated? maybe a little i think. i might spend that money elsewhere if an adequate center can be had and coached up by munchak.

there are compelling arguments on both sides of this one

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Only one that is rational IMO is the Hernendez hat... that was insensitive. At the same time I understand wanting to support your friend and hope he isnt a psycho killer.

Tweets... its too easy to get into an argument online and say something you regret.

Not really trying to change anyones opinion in this thread. Its obvious the dislike has roots on this board. Still weirds me out that people think we improved without him. Its not like we went 11-5 and made the playoffs.
    I have never gotten into an online pissing contest so I have no idea what you are talking about I agree...the tweets were from a young guy getting overly worked up over criticism. It can happen to anyone. He has some growing up to do but I don't consider him a "thug"...just a young talented center who has a few life lessons to learn.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

The free Hernandez hats were annoying but I am able to believe they were well before any facts came out that actually tied him to the murders. I'd guess it'd be hard for any of us to believe a college buddy was a murderer. The tweets are obnoxious but again he's responding to total pu$$ies who would never talk to his face that way.

As for being better without him, it's laughable. There's not a single personnel man in the NFL who thinks his replacements were any where near his level. It's silly to think so.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think there are many good reasons not to like Pouncey but his play isn't one of them. He is a top 5 center in the league. He isn't "overrated" or any other such garbage. I am a proud UF hater but I love his play. I do think he needs to grow up. I don't believe he is the type of guy right now I want leading this franchise. Honestly, I would rather see guys like Heyward, Thomas, Miller, Mitchell and DeCastro being those leaders. These are guys known for their work ethic and do not have off the field immaturity issues.
    "Foster the People" is appearing to have leader qualities as well. Maybe Beachum too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The free Hernandez hats were annoying but I am able to believe they were well before any facts came out that actually tied him to the murders. I'd guess it'd be hard for any of us to believe a college buddy was a murderer. The tweets are obnoxious but again he's responding to total pu$$ies who would never talk to his face that way.

As for being better without him, it's laughable. There's not a single personnel man in the NFL who thinks his replacements were any where near his level. It's silly to think so.
    I used these two things called "my eyes." They showed both back ups were as good or better. I say better, for whatever reason. But they were.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I used these two things called "my eyes." They showed both back ups were as good or better. I say better, for whatever reason. But they were.
    You've repeatedly shown yourself to be an imbecile with the comprehension skills of a bag of rocks. It doesn't surprise me in the least you think the backups were better. You are a complete moron.

Legend

User Info Menu

And Foster The People play pussy rock.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey hasn't done anything wrong (supported a friend prior to much evidence being shown) and fans that don't like him see what they want to see and, that is to believe that the Steeler O-line was better without him, maybe the question should be: How much greater would the O-line have been with him?

I like him and hope he sticks around for a long time; he makes the Steelers better.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Pouncey played great his rookie year. I loved the pick because we needed someone to anchor our offensive line. His 2nd year he didn't seem to play as well. This is only my impression and I am only a fan. I'm sure coaches and players know better. The thing is when we would run our hi diddle diddle, running back up the middle plays there always seemed to be some penetration. Upon closer looks at the replay many times it was because Pouncey was getting manhandled. His 3rd year it seemed to happen more often.

I often ask myself why, when it is 3rd or 4th and inches and we have a Pro Bowl center and a QB that stands 6'5"/250 lbs., can't we run a QB sneak and pick it up? We don't even try. It just baffles my mind. I know this isn't all on Pouncey but I just expect more out of a Pro Bowl center.

I don't know if his replacements last year played better than Pouncey would have. I do know I was happy with what I saw out of them and if Pouncey is expecting an Alex Mack type of contract I think we should look in another direction. If he hadn't gotten his knee shredded last year I was hoping we would have traded him this year for some draft picks.

I don't care about the tweets or Hernandez thing so much. I just wouldn't have him over to the house for dinner because of them but that stuff doesn't influence how I feel about him as a football player.

Overall I have been disappointed in Pouncey but that is just my opinion. I would certainly take the opinion of the Steeler coaches over what I, or anyone else on this board, have to say. But what fun would that be for the forum if we all did that?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I thought Pouncey played great his rookie year. I loved the pick because we needed someone to anchor our offensive line. His 2nd year he didn't seem to play as well. This is only my impression and I am only a fan. I'm sure coaches and players know better. The thing is when we would run our hi diddle diddle, running back up the middle plays there always seemed to be some penetration. Upon closer looks at the replay many times it was because Pouncey was getting manhandled. His 3rd year it seemed to happen more often.

I often ask myself why, when it is 3rd or 4th and inches and we have a Pro Bowl center and a QB that stands 6'5"/250 lbs., can't we run a QB sneak and pick it up? We don't even try. It just baffles my mind. I know this isn't all on Pouncey but I just expect more out of a Pro Bowl center.

I don't know if his replacements last year played better than Pouncey would have. I do know I was happy with what I saw out of them and if Pouncey is expecting an Alex Mack type of contract I think we should look in another direction. If he hadn't gotten his knee shredded last year I was hoping we would have traded him this year for some draft picks.

I don't care about the tweets or Hernandez thing so much. I just wouldn't have him over to the house for dinner because of them but that stuff doesn't influence how I feel about him as a football player.

Overall I have been disappointed in Pouncey but that is just my opinion. I would certainly take the opinion of the Steeler coaches over what I, or anyone else on this board, have to say. But what fun would that be for the forum if we all did that?
    I'm excited to see what our O looks likes with Pouncey getting to the second level and Bell toting the rock.

One thing we have to remember is who was running the ball when Pouncey was considered a disappointment. Another thing people on here complained about was the obvious formations and RUTFM. If we know it then the D knows it which makes it much harder to run unless you have Bettis in the backfield.

I expect big things this year.