Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    To answer the question originally posed, I think Pouncey is overrated. He ranked as ProFootballFocus' 12th best center in 2012, the last year he played. He is going to command, and receive, premium money without being a premium player. His monster rookie year put him in the highly unusual situation of being a young veteran who is already coasting on reputation. Pro Bowls aren't about being the best player, especially on the lines, where the average fan doesn't really understand what he's looking for to be able to say who is doing their job.
    This whole coasting on his rookie year is a flawed argument. Players and coaches are 2/3 of the voting. Are they coasting with their votes as well? I doubt it...

I think ranking sites are also part of the problem. A fan finds a ranking site uses it as the end all be all.

Ben commands top money... is he ranked in the top 5 of any QB stats? Maybe, but probably not that many.

Pouncey will command top money because the people in our FO who see him every day, his teammates, coaches and coaches around the league who watch film think he is one of the best. What else does a player need when his coaches and his peers think he is a premium player? You think our FO is pulling out a ranking site to try and knock down his asking price? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This whole coasting on his rookie year is a flawed argument. Players and coaches are 2/3 of the voting. Are they coasting with their votes as well? I doubt it...

I think ranking sites are also part of the problem. A fan finds a ranking site uses it as the end all be all.

Ben commands top money... is he ranked in the top 5 of any QB stats? Maybe, but probably not that many.

Pouncey will command top money because the people in our FO who see him every day, his teammates, coaches and coaches around the league who watch film think he is one of the best. What else does a player need when his coaches and his peers think he is a premium player? You think our FO is pulling out a ranking site to try and knock down his asking price? I don't.
    Wow, what a well thought out response. Unfortunately, this thread is just to understand/express why people dislike Pouncey. That's what I was told anyway.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Wow, what a well thought out response. Unfortunately, this thread is just to understand/express why people dislike Pouncey. That's what I was told anyway.
    Who told you that?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    That...and some hockey too.

The coaches around the league argument is also flawed. Who do coaches watch? Each team plays 16 games against 13 unique opponents. Therefore, out of the 32 teams in the league, the film on your team is watched by fewer than half the teams in a year - 14 (your team and your 13 opponents). On top of that, over the past few years, the coaches who have been watching film of the Steelers O-line have been able to exploit it heavily. So, regardless of what coaches say, and how they vote come PB time, the results say that none of the Steelers O-linemen have played at such a high level that they are able to overcome the mediocrity around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I respect your opinion Sug..

I think this was a thread where guys were asked why they disliked the guy though.
    For those that asked...

I think with Velasco coming in and playing the position just as well if not better probably had a lot to do with changing opinions. Once another viable option at that position emerges then the little things like the hat or the tweet become magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That...and some hockey too.

Putin looks lilliputian net to Geno. Wonder if he has some kind of little man complex.

Narcissistic injury is the term used for any threat to a narcissist's outsized ego or self-esteem.

Hall of Famer
    What really blows my mind is that people actually think our offensive line improved after Pouncey went down.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

This presupposes that he will be offered TOP MONEY from us. Those of us who think he is overrated are contending he will not be offered what he can make on the open market. The league does overrate people (Wallace) that we fans see clearly. We watch more Steeler games then they do. Many of us called it when Miami over spent on him.

If as some have stated his lower performance is due to nagging injuries and he actually plays up to his reputation that may change.

If Pouncey performs like he did AFTER his rookie season, he will not be offered top center pay from the Steelers.