Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's funny because I didn't want to spend a #1 pick on a Center to begin with. Now that he's a Steeler, I really have no problem with Pouncey at all. His team mates seem to like and respect him. He also gets respect from many of the people I trust in the media as one of the best in the NFL at his position. I really don't give a rat's rectum about any of the rest of that stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

I respect your opinion Sug..

I think this was a thread where guys were asked why they disliked the guy though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I think it's mostly "all of the above." For me, it's the culmination of these things.

- The disappointing injury-ending injuries. Were they his fault? Nope. But in both instances, those injuries "took the wind out of the team's sails." Was it his fault DD blasted his knee sideways? (Actually, I blame the coaches for installing a scheme seemingly low on morals and ethics.) But this is the NFL; if you can't stay on the field, for whatever reason, you are a hindrance to your team. We love our team; his injuries were a gut punch. Even though it's not his fault, it adds to our collective displeasure of him over all.

- The fact that many feel he is overrated and I feel he is so for a few reasons. 1.) He was drafted in the 1st round by the Steelers. Dude to our perceived success in drafting - especially in the 1st round - I think the media and fans assume if you are drafted in the first round by Pgh, it means you are automatically pro bowl level. 2.) He is a center drafted by Pgh. Our history says you will be a great center if drafted high by the Steelers. 3.) He looks the part.4.) His teammates feel he is a leader. For all those reasons, I believe he is assumed to be much better than he actually is, and that makes some of us not like him very much. I still maintain that the two back up, hired off their couches, played better than MP did. The OL got BETTER without him.

- The thug element. If I have a friend, who by all evidence, obviously murdered 3 people, I would not sport a hat saying, "Free so and so." That is beyond crass. Those 3 people have moms, dads, sisters, brothers who's hearts are ripped in pieces because they lost someone they loved. And these bozos wear hats saying to "Free Fernandez?" A witness has come forward and said, he killed to two people because one spilled a drink on him and didn't apologize. And that after he shot into the car, he said, "I got one in the head and the other one in the chest." Over a spilled drink, and they still support the guy.

I don't think any of us are "Gator Haters." If a player come from UF, and he makes us better, I could care less if he is from UF. I don't care what school a player is from, as long as he makes us better. I don't care if they are from Slippery Rock. To answer your question, I really think it's the collective issues that makes some of us just not care for the guy.
    agreed with the thug element

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    agreed.. the "Rap tweet" after a loss isn't exactly the display of character shown by a leader... in my opinion.
    Maurkice Pouncey takes heat from fans for promoting rap song on Twitter following Steelers’ loss

by Rick Chandler Jan 10, 2012

The Steelers’ Maurkice Pouncey got into it with some disgruntled fans on Twitter on Sunday, which is always amusing. The fans were miffed that Pouncey was promoting his rap song on Twitter only moments after the Steelers had lost to the Broncos on Sunday. The All-Pro center was injured and didn’t play in the game. Things got pretty ugly, with Pouncey firing responses such as:

@stevegiglio season is over time 2 move on and get better!! What do u do for a living besides bothering me right now and reading my TL #lame

@scottalanlong dude u have 6 followers no one cares what u have to say!! Can u not see that!!

@stevegiglio I will idiot!! You enjoy your lame life!!

@Rick_D00Va why would I be mad I’m rich play for the steelers and have a awesome life!! Are u mad loser

[URL]http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/maurkice-pouncey-takes-heat-from-fans-for-promoting-rap-song-on-twitter-following-steelers-loss/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It is that after he was hurt the OL eventually got better getting two players "off the street" to replace him. Would we have been even better with him, I guess we will see this season.

I also think many people, me being one, see a Mike Wallace situation shaping up with Pouncey. The Steelers will make a fair and solid offer and he will want top money so he will reject it. This will likely end up with him leaving like Wallace.
    OV you nailed it for me.
    And I WANTED A CENTER AND LOVED THE PICK.

But we don't even miss him when he is gone and why can't we convert short yardage better than we do if he is so great?

i don't hate the guy but I just see him as overrated. He is "good" and I like him as a starter. I just don't see us breaking the bank over him. I don't think we have a prayer of signing him because people buy that he is elite. He will be a loss but not a huge one.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Maurkice Pouncey takes heat from fans for promoting rap song on Twitter following Steelers’ loss

The Steelers’ Maurkice Pouncey got into it with some disgruntled fans on Twitter on Sunday, which is always amusing. The fans were miffed that Pouncey was promoting his rap song on Twitter only moments after the Steelers had lost to the Broncos on Sunday. The All-Pro center was injured and didn’t play in the game. Things got pretty ugly, with Pouncey firing responses such as:

@stevegiglio season is over time 2 move on and get better!! What do u do for a living besides bothering me right now and reading my TL #lame

@scottalanlong dude u have 6 followers no one cares what u have to say!! Can u not see that!!

@Rick_D00Va why would I be mad I’m rich play for the steelers and have a awesome life!! Are u mad loser

[URL]http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/maurkice-pouncey-takes-heat-from-fans-for-promoting-rap-song-on-twitter-following-steelers-loss/[/URL]
    That is serious "dick mode" to demean people in that way. No I like him even less. I hope they cut him this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

OK I admit I am @Rick_D00Va. I do hate him because of his ugly tweet to me.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I think there are many good reasons not to like Pouncey but his play isn't one of them. He is a top 5 center in the league. He isn't "overrated" or any other such garbage. I am a proud UF hater but I love his play. I do think he needs to grow up. I don't believe he is the type of guy right now I want leading this franchise. Honestly, I would rather see guys like Heyward, Thomas, Miller, Mitchell and DeCastro being those leaders. These are guys known for their work ethic and do not have off the field immaturity issues.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's crazy irrational to admit that the injuries were not his fault while at the same time saying that the injuries are one reason he's disliked.

A poster on the first page says "Being hurt for the Super Bowl run" as one reason the poster doesn't like Pouncey. Well yes, he was injured. A 300+ pound man fell on his ankle while he was face down on the ground after throwing a downfield block. For some reason, although the injury required surgery, the surgery wasn't done until after the FOLLOWING season. Think that might have hampered him?

His teammates elected him a captain. This apparently trivial fact is dismissed but crazy stuff is taken seriously. smh...
    Last edited by RobinCole; 06-03-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    It's crazy irrational to admit that the injuries were not his fault while at the same time saying that the injuries are one reason he's disliked. smh....
    Only one that is rational IMO is the Hernendez hat... that was insensitive. At the same time I understand wanting to support your friend and hope he isnt a psycho killer.

Tweets... its too easy to get into an argument online and say something you regret.

Not really trying to change anyones opinion in this thread. Its obvious the dislike has roots on this board. Still weirds me out that people think we improved without him. Its not like we went 11-5 and made the playoffs.