Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I do understand that but I wouldn't sink 8 million into a center...even if his name is Dawson. If you have an adequate center vs an elite center...if it worth lets say a 6 million dollar a year difference? For me, I would rather keep an up and coming DB, LB, DE, LT, WR, S anything but a center or guard.
    Right now, there isn't much up and coming talent on the Steelers. And the Steelers simply can't keep letting young players leave after their first contract with nothing in exchange. That is, at best, a recipe for mediocrity.

Also, right now, the team has $105 in salary commitments for 2015 - leaving nearly $30 million in cap space if the cap doesn't increase. That is plenty of room to sign Pouncey and Worilds and still add or extend players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    Heyward. Yes, if he is reasonable. But, we just picked up his 5th year option for next year. It will be hard to get him to sign a deal for significantly less than that amount annually. I think Heyward was our best defensive player for much of last year.

DeCastro? Why? He is under contract for two more years with a club option for a 3rd. This seems awfully premature. We will still have negotiating power next offseason.

Pouncey will undoubtedly be offered a lowball contract, and he will undoubtedly balk at such a deal. If he stays, he will make at least 8 mil per season. I think that is too much for an oft injured, quality center.

Thomas? Shamarko? What? He has three years left and has done nothing yet. If he shows potential this year, we can still get a great deal next offseason. If you are going to use this logic, then I'd sign Beachum waaaaaaaaaaaay before Thomas. Beachum is already contributing, only has two years left, and will definitely be a starter in two years (at G, C, or T). Also if he stays at OT, he would be twice as expenisve at Thomas.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Heyward. Yes, if he is reasonable. But, we just picked up his 5th year option for next year. It will be hard to get him to sign a deal for significantly less than that amount annually. I think Heyward was our best defensive player for much of last year.

DeCastro? Why? He is under contract for two more years with a club option for a 3rd. This seems awfully premature. We will still have negotiating power next offseason.

Pouncey will undoubtedly be offered a lowball contract, and he will undoubtedly balk at such a deal. If he stays, he will make at least 8 mil per season. I think that is too much for an oft injured, quality center.

Thomas? Shamarko? What? He has three years left and has done nothing yet. If he shows potential this year, we can still get a great deal next offseason. If you are going to use this logic, then I'd sign Beachum waaaaaaaaaaaay before Thomas. Beachum is already contributing, only has two years left, and will definitely be a starter in two years (at G, C, or T). Also if he stays at OT, he would be twice as expenisve at Thomas.
    We've already established that you cannot even offer contract extensions to David DeCastro, Shamarko Thomas, or Kelvin Beachum, because they have only been in the league for 2 years. The new CBA stipulates that you cannot extend rookie contracts until after their 3rd season is in the books.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

My question to everyone is the following: Why does most everyone here attach the caveat "if he's reasonable" to signing players. There is no reasonability at all by owners when it comes to signing players, look at Romo and Cutler, they aren't half the quarterbacks that Ben is and they are making more scratch. Why would you say the following? We should sign Ben provided he comes at a reasonable price.

What is reasonable for Ben? Based on production, he should be paid more than both Romo and Cutler, but I'll bet no one on this board thinks that is "reasonable".

Same with Heyward, Pouncey, Timmons, etc. you aren't going to be able to get discounts on your best players, they will demand more and as soon some loon in the front office of another team thinks a player is worth a lot more than is "reasonable" it dictates what the Steelers have to pay for that player.

If the Steelers keep trying to get "reasonable" contracts, their best players will be wearing other jerseys at the end of their current contract.

Just my two cents on "reasonable" contracts.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My question to everyone is the following: Why does most everyone here attach the caveat "if he's reasonable" to signing players. There is no reasonability at all by owners when it comes to signing players, look at Romo and Cutler, they aren't half the quarterbacks that Ben is and they are making more scratch. Why would you say the following? We should sign Ben provided he comes at a reasonable price.

What is reasonable for Ben? Based on production, he should be paid more than both Romo and Cutler, but I'll bet no one on this board thinks that is "reasonable".

Same with Heyward, Pouncey, Timmons, etc. you aren't going to be able to get discounts on your best players, they will demand more and as soon some loon in the front office of another team thinks a player is worth a lot more than is "reasonable" it dictates what the Steelers have to pay for that player.

If the Steelers keep trying to get "reasonable" contracts, their best players will be wearing other jerseys at the end of their current contract.

Just my two cents on "reasonable" contracts.

Pappy
    true.. we can't keep letting good players walk then complain about a lack of talent

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Also, right now, the team has $105 in salary commitments for 2015 - leaving nearly $30 million in cap space if the cap doesn't increase. That is plenty of room to sign Pouncey and Worilds and still add or extend players.
    The $105M doesn't mean anything unless you know how many players that accounts for. If it is 25 than we are in great shape, but if it is 10 then we still have a real issue and will be limited in what we do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We've already established that you cannot even offer contract extensions to David DeCastro, Shamarko Thomas, or Kelvin Beachum, because they have only been in the league for 2 years. The new CBA stipulates that you cannot extend rookie contracts until after their 3rd season is in the books.
    Geez, the expectation to actually read everything around here is cumbersome.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

And you would rather wait as the Steelers did with Worilds so they can pay a premium? My point isn't to argue the details or the people. My point is to say hey why not recognize our talent before they blow up and sign them for a discount.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Right now, there isn't much up and coming talent on the Steelers. And the Steelers simply can't keep letting young players leave after their first contract with nothing in exchange. That is, at best, a recipe for mediocrity.

And that is one of the first good points I have read. I don't keep track of the cap. All I know is the Steelers wait too long before they try to re-sign their up and coming talent. Then they pay a premium like 10 million to a player with a good half season after he got benched. To me that seems ridiculous. I agree we must keep our talent. So, we need to find ways of keeping them all or most of them and haven't done so.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And you would rather wait as the Steelers did with Worilds so they can pay a premium? My point isn't to argue the details or the people. My point is to say hey why not recognize our talent before they blow up and sign them for a discount.
    Like we did with Woodley?