Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Brady did...
    Eh, a blip on the radar, no other top quarterback is taking any discounts, why should Ben? He's left everything on the field for the Steelers and deserves what he can negotiate and if he doesn't like it, he can take his performance, experience and skill to another team that, I'm sure, will be happy to pay him. There is a lot of football left in Ben and a team close to contending or contending but can't get over the hump will pay him handsomely.

Besides, they call Brady's extension a "deep" discount, hardly, I think he's still guaranteed 57-60 million over 4 years or something like that, thats just guaranteed money, doesn't count what he earns for being on the roster each year. He's getting paid and paid well. It may be loaded with incentives as well, I don't know, but I doubt he's taken a "deep" discount.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

The thing is, Brady was very smart about his deal...

His agent negotiated a lot of guaranteed money, but lower salaries...while it cost the team quite a bit up front, his contract ends up comparatively cap friendly as long as he completes the contract...

With lower salary numbers, it also save the inconvenience/embarrassment of negotiating a pay cut...it also discourages restructuring of contract numbers...

In any case, salary numbers can quickly become phantom numbers...guaranteed money is where it's at...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    You all are crazy if you think that Ben is taking a pay cut just to retire a Steeler. Much lesser quarterbacks are getting paid and so will Ben, I wouldn't take a penny less than the market would give me for the next 4-5 years if I were him. The Steelers will be ponying up another 75-80 million for 5 years or Ben will be playing elsewhere and the Steelers get to see if Landry Jones was a good draft pick or not.

One of the 5 best quarterbacks in the game isn't taking a discount.

Pappy
    nah.. I disagree. I think Ben will do what Brady did. check this story from Peyton's agent on SB nation

[url]http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/27/5554444/peyton-brady-and-the-pay-scale[/url]

He said Manning didn't want to make a penny more than Brady 18 mill per year and was upset when he found out he would make slightly more 19.4 mill his first year. I think Ben takes a little less to stay with the same team.

I also heard somewhere that Kap's 61 guaranteed isn't actually guaranteed. WTF is that about?

Legend

User Info Menu

Brady did...
    Brady did not give anywhere near the same kind of discount that Ike Taylor did. Brady agreed to a reasonable deal to stick with the cheaters but you can't even remotely lump it in with what Ike did at the very end of his career. Peyton Manning also agreed to sign with the donks for about what Brady makes. Ben might agree to something reasonable to stay in Pittsburgh but no way do I think he'll take a major pay cut. Certainly nothing remotely close to what Ike did. Ben is not at the very end of his career and plenty of teams would pay him a major contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

The thing is, Brady was very smart about his deal...

His agent negotiated a lot of guaranteed money, but lower salaries...while it cost the team quite a bit up front, his contract ends up comparatively cap friendly as long as he completes the contract...

With lower salary numbers, it also save the inconvenience/embarrassment of negotiating a pay cut...it also discourages restructuring of contract numbers...

In any case, salary numbers can quickly become phantom numbers...guaranteed money is where it's at...
    [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/04/financial-details-will-say-plenty-about-kaepernick-deal/[/url]

check this link out about Kap's deal.

They say he can make "up to" 60 mill in guaranteed money which implies he has to hit all his incentives and more than likely he won't.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Eh, a blip on the radar, no other top quarterback is taking any discounts, why should Ben? He's left everything on the field for the Steelers and deserves what he can negotiate and if he doesn't like it, he can take his performance, experience and skill to another team that, I'm sure, will be happy to pay him. There is a lot of football left in Ben and a team close to contending or contending but can't get over the hump will pay him handsomely.
    Or, he can get tagged with a franchise tag for two years at a number around his current $18 million cap number...in 2014, the QB franchise tag was just a shade under $17 million...

So, when his contract expires in two years, he could be tagged for two years on top of that...then, he could enter the market as a 36 year old QB to negotiate the best deal possible...maybe that would be better than signing a "Brady type" of deal...maybe not...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Brady did not give anywhere near the same kind of discount that Ike Taylor did. Brady agreed to a reasonable deal to stick with the cheaters but you can't even remotely lump it in with what Ike did at the very end of his career. Peyton Manning also agreed to sign with the donks for about what Brady makes. Ben might agree to something reasonable to stay in Pittsburgh but no way do I think he'll take a major pay cut. Certainly nothing remotely close to what Ike did. Ben is not at the very end of his career and plenty of teams would pay him a major contract.
    I'm confused... when did Slap say something about Ike?

I don't think anyone expects an Ike pay cut from Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Or, he can get tagged with a franchise tag for two years at a number around his current $18 million cap number...in 2014, the QB franchise tag was just a shade under $17 million...

So, when his contract expires in two years, he could be tagged for two years on top of that...then, he could enter the market as a 36 year old QB to negotiate the best deal possible...maybe that would be better than signing a "Brady type" of deal...maybe not...
    I don't think that would make Ben too happy, but of course it is business, the franchise amount at that time might be more as well. Players hate the franchise tag, but maybe, it will work in the Steelers favor, personally, I'd rather have a happy Ben over a highly paid and unhappy Ben. I guess it could happen that way.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think Ben is smart enough to realize that if he wants to win a SB in the near future, he might have to take a bit less money. These massive QB contracts cause teams to lose their talent in other areas. That is part of the reason the 49ers have had an absolutely STACKED roster. People were asking.... where does SF get all this money to sign these players. Well, the answer is, their franchise QB wasn't making huge money until now.

There is no way they will be able to keep all the talent on their roster now... it will hamper the 49ers ability to keep that talent together now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nah.. I disagree. I think Ben will do what Brady did. check this story from Peyton's agent on SB nation

[URL]http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/27/5554444/peyton-brady-and-the-pay-scale[/URL]

He said Manning didn't want to make a penny more than Brady 18 mill per year and was upset when he found out he would make slightly more 19.4 mill his first year. I think Ben takes a little less to stay with the same team.

I also heard somewhere that Kap's 61 guaranteed isn't actually guaranteed. WTF is that about?
    The only way Ben does what Brady does is if "mama' (his born and bred Pittsburgh wife) really doesn't want to move and Ben wants to make her and keep her happy. Also keep in mind, Brady has a wife worth tens of millions of dollars so he can appear to be magnaminous and still have multi-generational wealth.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"