Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

Administrator

User Info Menu

Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

It's past June 1st and the Steelers just freed up 8 million due to Woodley being released

Outside of the rookie signings, should we expect a Worilds' long term deal? If the Steelers worked out a long term deal with Worilds, that would likely free up additional cap room for this year as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    I like all of those ideas, but there is one I like even better, figure out how to structure Ben's last contract and get it done. Then if any of those players can be taken care of that would be great, Heyward and DeCastro for sure, they appear to be very, very good NFL players, possibly even Pro-Bowl caliber. Pouncey even with his injury is going to require top center money, I don't think we'll get him at any discount, but Heyward and DeCastro might be able to get done.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why LOCK up WORILDS??

We DON'T need CAP Space ... we have plenty now to sign a few of our own.
    Give WORILDS another season to see if he's the real deal.....it's not like he'd sign a small contract at this point.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Why LOCK up WORILDS??

We DON'T need CAP Space ... we have plenty now to sign a few of our own.
    Give WORILDS another season to see if he's the real deal.....it's not like he'd sign a small contract at this point.
    Why? Why not? If the Steelers see him as our long term answer at LOLB then you try to get a deal done.

Legend

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that talks between Worilds and the Steelers have NOT been going well. Worilds may well figure that he gets $9 mil this year so he can afford to wait and shop for a big multiyear contract following the season. I'm pessimistic about the Steelers' chances of getting a long-term deal done with him in 2014.

While I like what I saw from Jason last year, I don't think I'd want to see the team chance a long-term Woodley-like deal with him at this point anyway.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 06-03-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would do the following:

1. Lock up Worilds. As much as so many don't like him he is the only known quantity we have at OLB and there are huge question marks at OLB.
    2. Extend Cortez Allen to avoid a Keenan Lewis situation.
    3. Try to extend Pouncey, but personal feeling is that will be a waste of time.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

When thinking about locking up Worilds, we have to consider risk/reward...

Right now, let's say that it would cost somewhere around 5 years/$40.5M, with about $20M guaranteed (Paul Kruger's contract from last season), if not more if the Steelers have to give in to his demands to sign him.

If he has a big year, then he might jump to say $10-11M per - something in the range of 5 year/$52M, with say $24M guaranteed. Can't see him jumping as high as the Tamba Hali $11.5M average range.

If he has a decent but not a big year, his value drops to around say 3 year/$21M, $8M guaranteed

If he stinks it up, let's go with 3 year, $16M, $6M guaranteed.

You have to consider the likelihood of each event, as well as the change in value compared to signing him now. IMO, worst case scenario has him blowing it up and Steelers have to throw in an extra $2M per year with a larger guarantee - however you are much more comfortable with the bigger commitment if he shows a full year at top production. A decent year, or an awful year, drops his value to well below what it is perceived to be today. It also allows the team to walk away from a potential salary cap disaster. Given the options, I have no problem not signing him to a big, long-term, contract today.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would do the following:

1. Lock up Worilds. As much as so many don't like him he is the only known quantity we have at OLB and there are huge question marks at OLB.
    2. Extend Cortez Allen to avoid a Keenan Lewis situation.
    3. Try to extend Pouncey, but personal feeling is that will be a waste of time.
    I'd like to see Worilds locked up, too, but not at the $10+ million/year he's likely to be looking for. I'd like to see Allen extended...they should be negotiating right now. Pouncey--being a 3-time Pro Bowler, he'll probably be looking to be the highest-paid center in the NFL. I think we've seen that he's very good, but that he is replaceable. Add in concerns about his character, and I'd be surprised if the Steelers made too big a push to keep him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agree with the philosophy Shawn. The player who I would target is Allen. He is coming off of a down year, but I still like his talent and athleticism. CB is becoming a premium salary position, therefore, a position that you would like to lock up before a player proves himself. What is the earliest that you can extend a rookie contract? I may be mistaken, but I recall that there is a rule that a rookie contract can't be extended so early. Either way, that is my first target if possible.