Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

It's past June 1st and the Steelers just freed up 8 million due to Woodley being released

Outside of the rookie signings, should we expect a Worilds' long term deal? If the Steelers worked out a long term deal with Worilds, that would likely free up additional cap room for this year as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    I like all of those ideas, but there is one I like even better, figure out how to structure Ben's last contract and get it done. Then if any of those players can be taken care of that would be great, Heyward and DeCastro for sure, they appear to be very, very good NFL players, possibly even Pro-Bowl caliber. Pouncey even with his injury is going to require top center money, I don't think we'll get him at any discount, but Heyward and DeCastro might be able to get done.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with the philosophy Shawn. The player who I would target is Allen. He is coming off of a down year, but I still like his talent and athleticism. CB is becoming a premium salary position, therefore, a position that you would like to lock up before a player proves himself. What is the earliest that you can extend a rookie contract? I may be mistaken, but I recall that there is a rule that a rookie contract can't be extended so early. Either way, that is my first target if possible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good call Shawn. I like the idea of being proactive. I'd say heyward and decastro would be solid investments.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Heyward. Yes, if he is reasonable. But, we just picked up his 5th year option for next year. It will be hard to get him to sign a deal for significantly less than that amount annually. I think Heyward was our best defensive player for much of last year.

DeCastro? Why? He is under contract for two more years with a club option for a 3rd. This seems awfully premature. We will still have negotiating power next offseason.

Pouncey will undoubtedly be offered a lowball contract, and he will undoubtedly balk at such a deal. If he stays, he will make at least 8 mil per season. I think that is too much for an oft injured, quality center.

Thomas? Shamarko? What? He has three years left and has done nothing yet. If he shows potential this year, we can still get a great deal next offseason. If you are going to use this logic, then I'd sign Beachum waaaaaaaaaaaay before Thomas. Beachum is already contributing, only has two years left, and will definitely be a starter in two years (at G, C, or T). Also if he stays at OT, he would be twice as expenisve at Thomas.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Heyward. Yes, if he is reasonable. But, we just picked up his 5th year option for next year. It will be hard to get him to sign a deal for significantly less than that amount annually. I think Heyward was our best defensive player for much of last year.

DeCastro? Why? He is under contract for two more years with a club option for a 3rd. This seems awfully premature. We will still have negotiating power next offseason.

Pouncey will undoubtedly be offered a lowball contract, and he will undoubtedly balk at such a deal. If he stays, he will make at least 8 mil per season. I think that is too much for an oft injured, quality center.

Thomas? Shamarko? What? He has three years left and has done nothing yet. If he shows potential this year, we can still get a great deal next offseason. If you are going to use this logic, then I'd sign Beachum waaaaaaaaaaaay before Thomas. Beachum is already contributing, only has two years left, and will definitely be a starter in two years (at G, C, or T). Also if he stays at OT, he would be twice as expenisve at Thomas.
    We've already established that you cannot even offer contract extensions to David DeCastro, Shamarko Thomas, or Kelvin Beachum, because they have only been in the league for 2 years. The new CBA stipulates that you cannot extend rookie contracts until after their 3rd season is in the books.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We've already established that you cannot even offer contract extensions to David DeCastro, Shamarko Thomas, or Kelvin Beachum, because they have only been in the league for 2 years. The new CBA stipulates that you cannot extend rookie contracts until after their 3rd season is in the books.
    Geez, the expectation to actually read everything around here is cumbersome.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

And you would rather wait as the Steelers did with Worilds so they can pay a premium? My point isn't to argue the details or the people. My point is to say hey why not recognize our talent before they blow up and sign them for a discount.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And you would rather wait as the Steelers did with Worilds so they can pay a premium? My point isn't to argue the details or the people. My point is to say hey why not recognize our talent before they blow up and sign them for a discount.
    Like we did with Woodley?