Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect a signing? Steelers free up 8 million in cap space post June 1st

Legend

User Info Menu

The new CBA doesn't allow us to extend guys like DeCastro yet, because he has only been in the NFL for 2 seasons. Players cannot renegotiate their contract before the end of the third season of their rookie deals (this is why Seattle and San Francisco has been able to stock their shelves while getting away with paying Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick second-day draft pick peanuts, since those guys could not get bumps in pay even if their teams wanted to give it to them).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is Bouchette's take:

[url]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/06/02/A-June-Cap-Boom-for-Steelers.html[/url]

He thinks they will try to resign Pouncey. If they can get him for around the same money as Alex Mack (5 years, $42 million) I think that you almost have to do it. And I say this as a guy who doesn't care for him -- but his athleticism is unique.

Bouchette raises the possibility of Allen, Ben, Gilbert and Suisham.

I'd absolutely go after Allen on a reasonable deal. If nothing else, he's a very good #3, but I think he can be fine as a #2. You also can't lose Allen and Ike and end up with only Willie Gay.

Who knows what Gilbert would want, but he is a passable RT. I'm fine waiting a year on Ben, and I'd wait on Suisham, too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I believe we will use this to lock up one of our own. I'm still not crazy about locking up Worilds long term because the dude is going to get paid based on a half season of work in a contract year. This might sound crazy but I would lock up some guys who I believe are about to blow up. I would give Heyward a new contract before he becomes a top 5 DE and want to be paid as such. I would extend DeCastro, and see if we can lock up Pouncey for a discount due to recent injury. I know it's early but I would even consider giving Thomas a bump in pay and give him a 5 year contract. What I hate seeing is guys you know are going to get it finally get it and leave because we were not proactive. It was the mistake we made with Worilds. If before he blew up the coaches seen his talent and locked him up for 5 years at 2.5 million per season he would have stumbled upon himself to sign it. Now? We are looking at 6-8 million per season for a guy who in my opinion isn't a proven commodity.
    Good call Shawn. I like the idea of being proactive. I'd say heyward and decastro would be solid investments.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/06/02/A-June-Cap-Boom-for-Steelers.html[/URL]

He thinks they will try to resign Pouncey. If they can get him for around the same money as Alex Mack (5 years, $42 million) I think that you almost have to do it. And I say this as a guy who doesn't care for him -- but his athleticism is unique.

I'd absolutely go after Allen on a reasonable deal. If nothing else, he's a very good #3, but I think he can be fine as a #2. You also can't lose Allen and Ike and end up with only Willie Gay.

Who knows what Gilbert would want, but he is a passable RT. I'm fine waiting a year on Ben, and I'd wait on Suisham, too.
    I expect the Pouncey saga to go the exact same route as Mike Wallace. Steelers offer, he rejects wanting top money, he plays not to get hurt and then he leaves.

I think he would prefer to be in Miami with his brother than stay in Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I expect the Pouncey saga to go the exact same route as Mike Wallace. Steelers offer, he rejects wanting top money, he plays not to get hurt and then he leaves.

I think he would prefer to be in Miami with his brother than stay in Pittsburgh.
    Sounds like another Kennen Lewis scenario shaping up...lol. Guy just wants to go home lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The new CBA doesn't allow us to extend guys like DeCastro yet, because he has only been in the NFL for 2 seasons. Players cannot renegotiate their contract before the end of the third season of their rookie deals (this is why Seattle and San Francisco has been able to stock their shelves while getting away with paying Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick second-day draft pick peanuts, since those guys could not get bumps in pay even if their teams wanted to give it to them).
    That's good to know and allows me a little more confidence in our FO.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/06/02/A-June-Cap-Boom-for-Steelers.html[/URL]

No way would I pay Pouncey 8 million+ per season and that's coming from a guy who really likes him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    No way would I pay Pouncey 8 million+ per season and that's coming from a guy who really likes him.
    That is the going rate. Mack, Mangold, and Kalil all have salaries in that range. I wouldn't go higher, but that is the realistic salary range.

Legend

User Info Menu

That is the going rate. Mack, Mangold, and Kalil all have salaries in that range. I wouldn't go higher, but that is the realistic salary range.
    I do understand that but I wouldn't sink 8 million into a center...even if his name is Dawson. If you have an adequate center vs an elite center...if it worth lets say a 6 million dollar a year difference? For me, I would rather keep an up and coming DB, LB, DE, LT, WR, S anything but a center or guard.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

People on here started the Miami rumor the day his brother was signed.

I also think it's impossible to play not to get hurt in the trenches