Thread: I am still intrigued by this guy too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am still intrigued by this guy too.

DANIEL McCULLERS
    6-7 352 NT Tennessee
    How He Fits In: Alameda Ta’amu couldn’t do it, and now he’s gone. Hebron Fangupo is still around, but he didn’t record a single tackle in any of the four games he played in 2013. There is a job opening on this team for a big, space-eating, disruptive nose tackle, or as General Manager Kevin Colbert termed it, “an obstruction.” McCullers has the size to fit the job description, but if he’s to succeed he will have to manage his size because there is such a thing as “too big.” He will be given every opportunity to show what he can do, and if McCullers can prove himself there is no one on the roster better suited to the job.
    I know some others have said that there is a reason this massive guy lasted so late in the draft, meaning there is a low chance of him panning out in the NFL, but, IDK. You can't teach his size. He is massive. And according to Steeler reporters, this dude is a 6-7, 352 lb dude who doesn't even have a big gut, which is basically unheard of. The guy has huge "Hamhocks," calves and arms. TN is famous for some of the best DTs ever. They always seem to have the country's best DTs. The only reason I can see for him not working out is if he is just a soft, lazy guy who doesn't put in enough effort. But, sometimes, once a guy is looking at a big pay check, they get less lazy. IDK. Aren't we long overdue for making some late draft home runs? I would love this guy to turn out. We could use a break.

Legend

User Info Menu

People seem to be worried about his weight for some reason, but he is certainly not sloppy big. Granted, he tipped the scales over 400 lbs. in high school, but he carries he weight extremely well now. Instead of being concerned about his width, I'm more concerned about his height...being able to stay low and maintain leverage in the trenches is difficult for a 6'7" guy. There have been effective interior d-lineman who are tall before (John Henderson at 6'7" 335 lbs., and Ted Washington at 6'5" 375 lbs. both made multiple Pro Bowls). McCullers is sort of physically in between those two guys.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    People seem to be worried about his weight for some reason, but he is certainly not sloppy big. Granted, he tipped the scales over 400 lbs. in high school, but he carries he weight extremely well now. Instead of being concerned about his width, I'm more concerned about his height...being able to stay low and maintain leverage in the trenches is difficult for a 6'7" guy. There have been effective interior d-lineman who are tall before (John Henderson at 6'7" 335 lbs., and Ted Washington at 6'5" 375 lbs. both made multiple Pro Bowls). McCullers is sort of physically in between those two guys.

I read he is in the 18-20% body fat range. That is not fat, that is just a huge human being.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

If he can even share time with mclendon, it would be a great addition.

And in his rookie year that would be a huge win for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

This guy should make it difficult to pass over the middle.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The leverage thing is a possible concern; that is one reason why Hampton was so good - his center of gravity was low, making him immovable. Wasn't Sam Adams huge too? I just hope the guy can at least get some reps in.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lazy as hell

hope he makes it, but im not holding my breath

i watched just about every game he played at UT and never once did he sustain any type of dominance that some here are projecting. i think he is a bum, also have it on pretty good authority that he tried to quit the team last year, but butch jones talked him out of it

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe there is a secret plan to switch him to LT. That's sure what he looks like. He can't be worse than Adams.

If he flames out in football, he certainly could make it as a bouncer. He reminds me of some the dudes I'd see at Spring Break manning the doors.

Last edited by sick beats; 06-02-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    lazy as hell

hope he makes it, but im not holding my breath

i watched just about every game he played at UT and never once did he sustain any type of dominance that some here are projecting. i think he is a bum, also have it on pretty good authority that he tried to quit the team last year, but butch jones talked him out of it
    [url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1715747-breaking-down-2014-nfl-draft-prospect-daniel-mccullers[/url]

Read and watch the vids here. He seemed to have moments where he didn't appear to be a bum. AL was often double teaming him, even with future pro bowler Chance Warmack playing across him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    The leverage thing is a possible concern; that is one reason why Hampton was so good - his center of gravity was low, making him immovable. Wasn't Sam Adams huge too? I just hope the guy can at least get some reps in.
    Sam Adams was 6'3" 350 and was a productive player (made the Pro Bowl 3 times, even though he bounced around 6 different teams in his career). I'm hoping that McCullers has a better career than Baltimore Mount Cody (listed at 6'4" 340), who has been underwhelming so far in his NFL career. If he isn't, at least we only used the last pick in the 6th round (compensatory) instead of a 2nd rounder like the Ravens used to draft Cody (5 picks after we took Jason Worilds).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.