Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Shamarko Thomas' impact still slow to develop for Steelers

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    In your opinion, when is the right time to begin developing Ben's replacement? In all honesty, no one here can say whether Jones is going to be good or bad. But, the Steelers thought enough of him to snatch him up. I know Bill Polian stated Landry Jones was the best QB in the 2012 draft. So, the guy can throw...he is also a smart guy. So, if not him...who? If not now, when?
    i figure ben has 5 good years left, so 3 years from now

    i dont think landry jones will ever amount to anything in this league

  2. #42
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,649
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I hear you... but I think it's good that we finally have a legit QB on our roster who can be a good stop gap or maybe even turn into a decent QB once Ben is done. It's also good insurance if Ben retired unexpectedly or wants Romo type cash.
    how do we know landry jones is a legit NFL QB?

    we know gradkowski can start and win games and he was under contract for 3 years at the time we drafted jones, i think

    i just dont put much value in the 3rd string QB spot. the primary back up QB is an extremely fungible position. when you need one, you can find one alot of times. why waste a 4th on a guy who has stop gap as his ceiling? hell, we had brian hoyer on the roster at the end of one season, and he will probably start for cleveland this year. i just cant see the wisdom of using that pick on landry jones unless they feel he is a future starter. i dont believe he is, and if he does, i cant see him being anything more than an 8-8 QB at best. and thats with a quality team around him.

    water under the bridge, but it still pisses me off. ive tried to let it go, lol

  3. #43
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    how do we know landry jones is a legit NFL QB?

    we know gradkowski can start and win games and he was under contract for 3 years at the time we drafted jones, i think

    i just dont put much value in the 3rd string QB spot. the primary back up QB is an extremely fungible position. when you need one, you can find one alot of times. why waste a 4th on a guy who has stop gap as his ceiling? hell, we had brian hoyer on the roster at the end of one season, and he will probably start for cleveland this year. i just cant see the wisdom of using that pick on landry jones unless they feel he is a future starter. i dont believe he is, and if he does, i cant see him being anything more than an 8-8 QB at best. and thats with a quality team around him.

    water under the bridge, but it still pisses me off. ive tried to let it go, lol
    How do we know is isn't? Your opinion?

  4. #44
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,649
    we dont, i was responding to felt statement that he was legit. he isnt.

    my opinion, as i have stated more than once, is that i do not think he is very good and was a stupid pick. its really not even the player, its the position. the back up QB position was fine for 3 years at a reasonable number and with a much more proven guy than landry jones in actual NFL games.

    do i think he will ever be anything in the NFL? No.

    you seem to, no big deal. time will tell.

  5. #45
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We can argue our accounting methods, but the way I see it, we had to use two picks to get Thomas. We used the one we got from Cleveland last year to actually draft him and we forfeited a pick this year. In my book that is two picks that equals a single player on the roster.
    Man this is some fuzzy math. We gave up one pick to draft shark Thomas. I also fail to see the problem with the selection. He was a part time player as a rookie. He would have had more of an impact had it not been for his ankle. Why is it such a hard pill to swallow for some. He was drafted to be the heir apparent. He's certainly not the first player on this team to be groomed behind a veteran and he won't be the last. The level of jaded posters on this board occasionally borders the ridiculous.

  6. #46
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,851
    Okay, so let me get this straight, Shamarko hasn't beaten out a future 1st ballot HOFer and he hasn't beaten out a veteran on a team that values experience over youth until you can prove you deserve to be on the field and we're talking about him being a wasted pick in the beginning of his second year, no camp, no competition, no 2nd season pre-season games, etc Hmm, OK.

    Pappy


    1.22) Alvin "Bud" Dupree, OLB/DE, Kentucky
    2.56) Senquez Golson, CB/S, Ole Miss
    3.87) Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn
    4.121) Doran Grant, CB, OSU
    5.160) Jesse James, TE, PSU
    6.199) Letterius Walton, DT, Central Michigan
    6.212) Anthony Chickillo, DE, Miami
    7.239) Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville


    Im gonna protect him from himself (James Harrison). He and Will Allen are too old to be working right now. - Mike Tomlin

  7. #47
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    23,617
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Okay, so let me get this straight, Shamarko hasn't beaten out a future 1st ballot HOFer and he hasn't beaten out a veteran on a team that values experience over youth until you can prove you deserve to be on the field and we're talking about him being TWO WASTED PICKS in the beginning of his second year, no camp, no competition, no 2nd season pre-season games, etc Hmm, OK.

    Pappy
    Fixed that for you. It's some kind of "new math" they are teaching kids these days, apparently.


    Final Ruthless Mock:
    1.22 CB Marcus Peters, 6'0" 197 lbs., Washington
    2.56 FS Damarious Randall, 5'11" 196 lbs., Arizona State
    3.87 TE Clive Walford, 6'4" 251 lbs., Miami
    4.121 DE Henry Anderson, 6'6" 294 lbs., Stanford
    5.160 WR Titus Davis, 6'1" 196 lbs., Central Michigan
    6.199 OLB Kyle Emanuel, 6'3" 255 lbs., North Dakota State
    6.212c OLB Max Valles, 6'5" 251 lbs., Virginia
    7.239 RB John Crockett, 6'0" 217 lbs., North Dakota State

  8. #48
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    we dont, i was responding to felt statement that he was legit. he isnt.

    my opinion, as i have stated more than once, is that i do not think he is very good and was a stupid pick. its really not even the player, its the position. the back up QB position was fine for 3 years at a reasonable number and with a much more proven guy than landry jones in actual NFL games.

    do i think he will ever be anything in the NFL? No.

    you seem to, no big deal. time will tell.
    Fair enough. I think he has the tools but it's always a crap shoot with QBs. If you have a problem with Landry, that I can understand. If you feel that the Steelers shouldn't have picked a QB to develop that I don't understand.

  9. #49
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    how do we know landry jones is a legit NFL QB?

    we know gradkowski can start and win games and he was under contract for 3 years at the time we drafted jones, i think

    i just dont put much value in the 3rd string QB spot. the primary back up QB is an extremely fungible position. when you need one, you can find one alot of times. why waste a 4th on a guy who has stop gap as his ceiling? hell, we had brian hoyer on the roster at the end of one season, and he will probably start for cleveland this year. i just cant see the wisdom of using that pick on landry jones unless they feel he is a future starter. i dont believe he is, and if he does, i cant see him being anything more than an 8-8 QB at best. and thats with a quality team around him.

    water under the bridge, but it still pisses me off. ive tried to let it go, lol
    I dont.... it should have read legit prospect at QB compared to the endless string of mobile QBs we picked up over the years who couldn't throw a decent 15 yarder.

  10. #50
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    17,182
    Thomas: 'I have progressed a lot'

    Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com



    Safety Shamarko Thomas is not afraid of hard work.

    All was quiet in the Steelers locker room on one of the teams off days during OTAs recently, and for good reason. It was barely 7 a.m., and anyone that would be coming in to work out on the off day wasnt there yet.

    Except for safety Shamarko Thomas, that is.

    Thomas doesnt run on a clock, doesnt base his comings and goings on the fact that most people are still asleep because he looks at that as an opportunity to get a jump on things and get a little extra preparation in.

    Its the same approach he took last season, trying to learn as much as he could, but being in a much more comfortable spot now with a much greater understanding of what he is doing.

    I have progressed a lot, said Thomas. I just know the whole defense now. Last year I was all over the place, just wanting to know my role. This year I am just settled in and comfortable and just playing.

    Its like college, your freshman year you dont know the defense and the next year you settle in and fly around and make plays. Thats what I am doing now. I dont have to think and second guess myself. I just fly around and make plays.

    Thomas weighed in on a few other topics as well.

    On what he sees his role being: I dont know. That is up to the coaches. I am going to work my butt off and come to camp ready. What happens, happens.

    On what he needs to show during OTAs: I am a quiet person and last year because I didnt know the defense, I need to communicate and be consistent. That is my biggest thing. I talk to Troy (Polamalu) every day and try to be consistent in everything I do.

    On what he needs to work on: The playbook. I was playing nickel, safety, and I was in packages and all over the place. The big thing Troy told me was to learn the whole defense, so it was a great development last year learning the whole defense and now I am here comfortable because I know where everybody is and where I am supposed to be and where to make plays.

    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-02674955c307

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •