Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas' impact still slow to develop for Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Some people learn slower, pick up things slower than others. It doesn't mean they're dumb, or can't play, etc. Just that they need more reps to figure things out.

I'm not saying I'm unconcerned, but I still have high hopes that this kid will have a role in this year's defense.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nope, don't "love" Landry and don't ever know he will be a future starter. But, I will say this the Steelers needed to start looking at the QB position and begin developing a guy. Was Landry the right pick? I don't know. But, I was glad to see the Steelers being proactive rather than scrambling when Ben is no longer playing like Ben. I was tired of seeing the Steelers bring in guys they knew couldn't make this squad or develop guys who couldn't throw a ball. Landry has all the physical tools to be a very good QB. That I know. I think you will see that in the preseason with a significant jump in his play. What I worry about with Landry is what landed him in the third. Does he have the mental toughness to play well in big games? That is the big ???
    yep.. this was my reaction as well.

Tired of seeing us draft garbage mobile QB's in the 6th round who we knew wouldn't stick around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nope, don't "love" Landry and don't ever know he will be a future starter. But, I will say this the Steelers needed to start looking at the QB position and begin developing a guy. Was Landry the right pick? I don't know. But, I was glad to see the Steelers being proactive rather than scrambling when Ben is no longer playing like Ben. I was tired of seeing the Steelers bring in guys they knew couldn't make this squad or develop guys who couldn't throw a ball. Landry has all the physical tools to be a very good QB. That I know. I think you will see that in the preseason with a significant jump in his play. What I worry about with Landry is what landed him in the third. Does he have the mental toughness to play well in big games? That is the big ???
    Yes. The 4th round is not an unreasonable place to get a QB who may be a long term solution as at least a back up. Unlike Shamarko, Jones was never envisioned to be on the field except in an extreme emergency. Plus we didn't throw away a 3rd Round pick to get Jones.

Besides, getting one of the top three college passers all time in Round 4 isn't that bad.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes. The 4th round is not an unreasonable place to get a QB who may be a long term solution as at least a back up. Unlike Shamarko, Jones was never envisioned to be on the field except in an extreme emergency. Plus we didn't throw away a 3rd Round pick to get Jones.

Besides, getting one of the top three college passers all time in Round 4 isn't that bad.

We didn't throw away a third round pick for Thomas, either...

Only if we cut him is the pick "thrown away"...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    just find the hypocrisy amusing

i know you love landry and think he is a future starter. god help us if thats ever the case in pittsburgh
    Come on Ed, we all have our opinions. That is what makes this fun. It's not hypocrisy, it just different points of view.

Someone else's opinion about Jones is no different from the disdain some have always had for Timmons not being a superstar Day 1 and wanting to give Jarvis Jones, a far less talented player, more time and every benefit of the the doubt.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 06-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Shamarko will be fine...I just hope we don't have to wait until the last year of his contract to see him get meaningful playing time. This could very well be Troy's last season, so if not this season, then maybe next will be Thomas's time to step into the spotlight.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Come on Ed, we all have our opinions. That is what makes this fun. It's not hypocrisy, it just different points of view.

Someone else's opinion about Jones is no different from the disdain some have always had for Timmons not being a superstar Day 1 and wanting to give Jarvis Jones, a far less talented player, more time and every benefit of the the doubt.
    Agree with your sentiments Ovi, and I will admit to being wrong on timmons.

I just don't believe we needed to waste a 4th rounder on a 3rd string QB when we had gradkowski under contract and the rest of the roster in the shape that it was.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would be more worried if Will Allen hadn't played well when given the chance last year. Shark is young and this team likes their young player to have to earn PT over established players. Shazier got to run with the ones because there was nobody established at ILB in front of him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just don't believe we needed to waste a 4th rounder on a 3rd string QB when we had gradkowski under contract and the rest of the roster in the shape that it was.
    We used a 3rd round AND 4th round pick on a DB who doesn't seem to have a role on this team in his second season except as a special teams player and back up. That should upset you far more than Landry Jones, especially when you factor in we brought in two players from the outside to put in front of him on the depth chart---Mitchell and Allen.

Essentially we wasted two draft picks on a third string DB didn't we?

Legend

User Info Menu

In your opinion, when is the right time to begin developing Ben's replacement? In all honesty, no one here can say whether Jones is going to be good or bad. But, the Steelers thought enough of him to snatch him up. I know Bill Polian stated Landry Jones was the best QB in the 2012 draft. So, the guy can throw...he is also a smart guy. So, if not him...who? If not now, when?
    Last edited by Shawn; 06-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Trolls are people too.