Thread: Might we use the extra Woodley cap space we get tomorrow to trade for...a veteran OT?

Legend

User Info Menu

Might we use the extra Woodley cap space we get tomorrow to trade for...a veteran OT?

Disclaimer: I'm just completely spitballing here. I've heard nothing about this being even a remote possibility, just purely my own conjecture.

We've already signed our last 5 draft picks and have only the top 4 to go. We get $8 million or so in cap space tomorrow because we released Woodley with a post June 1 designation. After signing Shazier, Tuitt, Archer, and Bryant, we'll still have some leftover money to spend. We've talked about the possibility of using it for one last hurrah from Harrison and/or Keisel as veteran backups and positive locker room influences, but I'm here to suggest another out of the box possibility for that money instead.

As Munchak is trying to implement his system here, it might be helpful for him to bring in one of his own to help the transition. Granted, bringing back Fernando Velasco (if healthy) could count as bringing back someone who has played under Munchak, but the reason he was available for us to sign last year was that Munchak cut him and replaced him with a different center, so Velasco may not exact be the biggest Munchak guy in the world. I'm thinking bigger.

The Titans signed Michael Oher to a 4 year $20 million contract with $9 million guaranteed this offseason to play right tackle for them. Then they drafted Taylor Lewan with the 11th overall pick. They already have Michael Roos, who has played all but one game for them for the last 9 seasons entrenched at left tackle. With those 3 tackles on the roster, someone will be the odd man out (and moving one of them inside to guard isn't an option either because they spent big free agent dollars on Andy Levitre and drafted Chance Warmack last year to be their starting guards).

Roos is entering the last year of his contract and likely won't be returning next year with Lewan at LT and Oher at RT for the foreseeable future. If Lewan looks like he'll be good enough to start right away this year, might the Titans be willing to get something for Roos in trade now rather than losing him for nothing after the season? And if so, wouldn't Munchak be interested in the guy who was his bedrock at LT for nearly a decade?

Roos' cap hit is in the neighborhood of $6 million. If we sent, say, Marcus Gilbert back to them to be their young backup swing tackle, that would open up a little bit more cap space to fit in Roos and our last 4 rookie draft picks. Gilbert is also going into the last year of his deal as well, so we wouldn't have to worry about signing bonus acceleration affecting the trade from either side. I think that Whisenhunt's Titans are looking for more drive blockers, while is Gilbert's forte, and we are looking for zone blockers, which is Roos' forte. Roos would start at LT with Foster at LG, Pouncey at C, DeCastro at RG, and Beachum battling with Adams for the RT spit (loser is the primary backup tackle).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 05-31-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Are there any NTs, DEs, ILBs, ROLBs, CBs out there?

I'd be looking to upgrade any of those slots if the right guy is out there.

I like your thinking but I'm not convinced it's necessary for that position?