Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop Dat thing....why Dri is da bomb

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    It was a rhetorical question.
    You didn't hit your "rhetorical question smiley button."

Pro Bowler
    every now and then in the NFL some rookie (who wasn't a top 15 pick) comes out of nowhere to take the league by storm. It's the pick that has 31 other GM's asking themselves how they passed on that guy?

I have no idea if Archer can do it - but from those vids, it sure looks like it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Archer's Arrow Points More To Dunn, Not Sproles

By Maurice Moton Jun 01, 2014

While third-round RB Dri Archer shares a few traits with Darren Sproles, it would be a mistake to compare him with the longtime New Orleans Saints' scatback. Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images.

The Pittsburgh Steelers rarely surprise their fans when it comes to the draft. Line up the board, address the needs of the team and conduct business as usual. Not this time. In the third round of this yearís draft, Steeler Nationís eyebrows were raised a little when Pittsburgh selected RB Dri Archer.

Archer was selected with the 97th overall pick, before the Steelers addressed their wide receiver or cornerback needs. After LeGarrette Blountís signing, it seemed as though the running back position was solidified. Enter Archer; a smaller, more agile runner with pass-catching abilities who posted the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine.

When it comes to comparisons, most people quickly reference new Philadelphia Eagles RB Darren Sproles, who is a smallish back with big-play ability like Archer. When analyzing the skill sets of these running backs, however, it becomes apparent the similarities between the two may end with their smaller physique.

Sproles had an extensive resume as a running back out of Kansas State; accumulating 4,979 rushing yards in four years. As Sproles transitioned into the NFL, coaches were reluctant to feature him as a true feature back handling a high volume of carries. However, he became a viable receiver in the flat and more prominently in the red zone with the New Orleans Saints.

The fact still remains in New Orleans that the team ran the ball by committee under offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael. This isnít a knock against Sproles not being able to put a stranglehold on the position, but a testament to his particular capabilities as a receiver rather than a running back. Sproles has only amassed more than 400 yards once as a rusher in his eight-year career to go along with 11 touchdowns as a ball carrier. As a receiver, heís been above 500 yards in each of the last four years and has 27 TDs for his career.

Why are these stats important to Archer?

If he is being compared to Sproles, then Archer must measure up to those numbers or risk being labeled as something of a disappointment.

During an interview on The David Todd Show, Kent Stateís offensive coordinator Brian Rock talked about Archerís abilities as a running back. ďHeís really fast and thatís what everybody talks about, but Iím not convinced thatís his greatest quality, ďsaid Rock. ďHe has unbelievable vision. He can really see things and has a great change of direction, so he rarely takes a direct hit and I think thatís one of the things that really helped him over the long run.Ē

When asked about his pass protection, Rock added, ďHeíll come in and cut them down with the best of them. Heíll take them on up top. Heís not a coward, thatís for dang sure.Ē

Itís no secret coaches will embellish the qualities of their former players as they transition to the NFL, but the tape doesnít lie. The coaching staff will break down film from minicamps and practices to identify Archerís strengths and weaknesses.

According to ESPN reporter Scott Brown, Kent State coach Paul Haynes questioned his decision to feature Archer more so as receiver than a running back. "I think one of the biggest mistakes we made here is flexing him out," Haynes said. "We needed to keep him at running back just because we could have gotten him more touches. He has great vision, he has great feet, he has great burst -- all the things a good running back needs to be."

Archerís skills as a ball carrier may go under the radar as heíll be placed behind starting RB LeíVeon Bell and Blount on the depth chart. As a special teams player, heíll see much of the field as a kick/punt returner and can still make an impact and relieve breakout WR Antonio Brown of his special teams duties. However, if Blount or Bell are hindered by injury, the Steelers shouldnít hesitate to hand the ball off to their third-round draft pick.

His speed and vision could pay dividends as a change-of-pace running back, giving the Steelers an advantage late in the game when fatigue becomes a factor. A pair of fresh and faster legs should be able to shed tackles and hit the gaps. Another undersized running back played a similar role on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Atlanta Falcons during his NFL career, Warrick Dunn.

Dunn was a track and field star at Florida State with the aptitude to become a prominent NFL running back. Dunn was a decent receiver but made his mark between the tackles and accumulated more than 1,000 yards in five of his 12 seasons in the NFL. Archer could be a 1,000 yard rusher if given the opportunity. The luxury of the dual running back system that most teams have adapted to is preservation, something players like Dunn didnít have a decade ago.

Bell and Blount will take majority of the carries this upcoming season but if one or both players leave Pittsburgh at some point down the road, Archer could be an option out of the backfield for the future. His receiving abilities will be serviceable but Sproles has a knack for reaching the end zone after the catch. Sproles will not produce 1,000-yard rushing seasons but Archer does possess those capabilities similar to Dunn.

Thus far, the Steelers have only indicated that Archer will be used ďcreativelyĒ, which leaves much room for imagination. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley will have to find a way to familiarize the rookie with the game plan and translate his speed into production. Regardless of how heís used letís hold off on his comparison to Sproles and see where he fits in this particular offense that isnít as wide open as the Saints.

http://www.football.com/en-us/archer...n-not-sproles/
    When I saw the title of the article I thought they were referring to Reggie Dunn, not Warrick. I kept waiting to read the negativity but never did. Whew!
    About the highlights, they are highlights, the times he made the right reads and cuts. How many times did he not them? I've seen highlights of other fast guys who didnt become stars, so I think I wont get too excited til I see it on Sunday.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    When I saw the title of the article I thought they were referring to Reggie Dunn, not Warrick. I kept waiting to read the negativity but never did. Whew!
    About the highlights, they are highlights, the times he made the right reads and cuts. How many times did he not them? I've seen highlights of other fast guys who didnt become stars, so I think I wont get too excited til I see it on Sunday.
    I am excited. It's not just blazing speed, it's vision. Instincts. You got Ben, Brown, Miller, Bell, Blount and this dude. IDK. Could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    When I saw the title of the article I thought they were referring to Reggie Dunn,
    let's hope he doesn't become another Reggie Dunn...

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    You didn't hit your "rhetorical question smiley button."
    Rhetorical question smileys are corny...

Dri Archer is raw, though...

Steelers rookie Archer getting up to speed

By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer)
    AP - Sports

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Dri Archer runs the ball during an NFL football organized team activity on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 in Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Dri Archer just kind of laughs. He can't help it. Spend most of your life as the smallest player on the football field and you get used to the incessant questions about beating the odds.

''I've always been the littlest guy out there,'' Archer said. ''I don't even think about it.''

Fear is not an option for the 5-foot-8, 173-pound Pittsburgh Steelers rookie. He doesn't worry about how his slender frame will hold up to the rigors of the NFL because it wouldn't do any good. Archer has been playing football since he was in first grade, when he would wrap flags around his waist imitate Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders.

The 22-year-old never met a tackle he couldn't walk - or better yet, sprint - away from. There's no reason to think it will be any different as a professional.

''I just want to come in and contribute, do what I've always done,'' Archer said Thursday.

For the Steelers, that will be a little bit of everything. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley figures to get creative with how to use Archer, whose eye-popping 40-yard dash time of 4.26 seconds at the NFL combine earlier this spring was the second fastest in combine history.

It's that number - and not the ones next to his height and weight - that leapt out to the Steelers.

''Whatever way we can find to get this kid the ball or to have him involved in our offense we are going to do that as a staff,'' running backs coach James Saxon said. ''(Offensive coordinator) Todd Haley is going to do a great job with that. We are all going to work together to get this guy in the right place.''

The right place could be any place. Though he spent most of his time at Kent State at running back - where his 7.2 career yards per carry looks like a misprint - Archer is more than just 68 inches of kinetic energy who hides behind his massive offensive linemen. He also caught 99 passes and returned four kickoffs for touchdowns during his college career.

Though the NFL is one step - more likely two - over what he saw on a weekly basis while playing in the Mid-American Conference, Archer is confident he can make the leap. This is the same player, after all, whose Twitter profile picture is a drawing of him wearing a No. 1 jersey with a cape on the back.

''You've just got to learn to do the right things,'' he said. ''I'm just trying to learn the playbook and be where I'm supposed to be at all times.''

Archer is just the latest attempt by the Steelers to find a Swiss Army knife in the backfield. Pittsburgh grabbed sprinter/running back Chris Rainey in the fifth round of the 2012 draft. Rainey was ineffective on the field and a problem off it, eventually getting cut in January 2013 after being charged with slapping his girlfriend.

There are no such character concerns with Archer, who has quickly ingratiated himself with his teammates no matter which meeting he happens to be in, whether it's with the running backs or the wide receivers.

Saxon praised Archer for his toughness and it's worth noting Archer missed only a handful of games across four seasons at Kent State despite handling the ball nearly 500 times. He averaged a touchdown once every 13 times he touched the ball in college.

While it's unfair to expect that kind of production in the NFL, Archer understands his unique skill set gives the Steelers a speedy yin to the powerful yang of top running backs Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount. He understands there are skeptics who will wonder if he was worth a third-round pick. That's fine. The skeptics haven't been right yet.

''That's why I play with a chip on my shoulder,'' Archer said. ''Everyone tells me I am too small. I can't take hits. I can't do this and I can't do that. I am just out here to play football. And I know what I can do.''

NOTES: The Steelers signed first-round draft pick Ryan Shazier to a four-year contract on Thursday. Financial details were not disclosed. Pittsburgh took Shazier with the 15th overall pick after a standout career at Ohio State.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steeler...9190--nfl.html

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Rhetorical question smileys are corny...

Dri Archer is raw, though...
    Did you see his incredible vision and instincts? When I hear "raw" I don't think of someone who has vision and instincts like that; I think of someone who is super fast but doesn't know how to use his physical skills. This kid does. If they find ways to get him into space - whether it be kick returns, passes over the middle, trick run plays - he is going to blaze this league.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Did you see his incredible vision and instincts? When I hear "raw" I don't think of someone who has vision and instincts like that; I think of someone who is super fast but doesn't know how to use his physical skills. This kid does. If they find ways to get him into space - whether it be kick returns, passes over the middle, trick run plays - he is going to blaze this league.
    I didn't think anyone would get it...

I was actually using contemporary slang (hard to believe, but "corny" is contemporary) instead of "dope" and "whack"...