Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old and Slow? LOL! Good article from Wexell on Steelers D

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing the defense with more speed, particularly from Mitchell at FS. However, all of that speed may be wasted if McClendon can't get the job done at NT. Despite his penetrating style, he doesn't make a ton of plays, nor does he eat up two blockers while holding the point the way Hampton did. The Steelers need the DL to keep their linebackers clean.

I know that you disdain the notion of stopping the run, but the inability to stop the run last year was part of why Polamalu spent so much time playing LBer.
    I don't disdain stopping the run, I just think it is a secondary consideration to stopping the pass the today's NFL. Basic military doctrine is that you destroy the enemy's Command and Control first to destroy their ability to execute and to get into their decision making cycle forcing the to be reactive versus proactive. In the NFL that equates to attacking and punishing the QB.

Therefore I want a penetrator and attacker versus someone who holds their ground. That is why I would have never wasted a first round pick on a Nose tackle and why express my frustration that we have a penetrator in McLendon who is being asked to do something that is not his strength. Hence my argument of LeBeau wanting to pound square pegs into round hole because he doesn't want to change his basic scheme no matter who he has as players.

It's nice to be able to stop the run but I'll take leading the lead in sacks and QB pressures over being #1 in stopping the run 100% of the time.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Therefore I want a penetrator and attacker versus someone who holds their ground. That is why I would have never wasted a first round pick on a Nose tackle and why express my frustration that we have a penetrator in McLendon who is being asked to do something that is not his strength. Hence my argument of LeBeau wanting to pound square pegs into round hole because he doesn't want to change his basic scheme no matter who he has as players.

It's nice to be able to stop the run but I'll take leading the lead in sacks and QB pressures over being #1 in stopping the run 100% of the time.
    Unless LeBeau sees McClendon every day and knows more about him than you do...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't disdain stopping the run, I just think it is a secondary consideration to stopping the pass the today's NFL. Basic military doctrine is that you destroy the enemy's Command and Control first to destroy their ability to execute and to get into their decision making cycle forcing the to be reactive versus proactive. In the NFL that equates to attacking and punishing the QB.

If you have a dominant run defense, then that makes offense one dimensional. At that point, you can truly attack.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When our run defense was tops, our overall D was very good. Its not coincidence both have had a similar downward trajectory as of late.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steel strong on the lines, domination of the LOS wins alot of games. Sleek fast everywhere else sounds great to me.