Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger initially 'upset' with Steelers draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger initially 'upset' with Steelers draft

At first blush, don't mark Ben Roethlisberger down as one of voters for an "A" grade for the Steelers' 2014 draft.

Pittsburgh ended up landing the "tall" receiver Roethlisberger has allegedly requested, Martavis Bryant, one round after taking Dri Archer, the shortest receiver the Steelers have ever taken. Two offensive weapons after scoring two defensive players in the first two rounds, Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt.

Still, Alan Robinson of the Tribune Review writes Roethlisberger wasn't happy about it.

At the time, Roethlisberger said he was upset.
    "I got caught up in doing what I always say not to do, and that's listen to the media," Roethlisberger said. "(The Steelers) obviously have their agenda, the things they want, and they got two guys that they felt can help this team" in running back-receiver Dri Archer (third round) and receiver Martavis Bryant (fourth round).

His report is about Roethlisberger's contract situation, and how the two sides have not come to terms on an extension, and won't negotiate during the season. Robinson drops the point about Roethlisberger being upset about the draft at the end without a whole lot of follow-up.

What's stands out is referring to the Steelers as "they," clearly suggesting there's separation between the two. A reference to the Steelers' agenda, not necessarily Ben's agenda, may not be much of a surprise, considering teams don't often use their players as draft consultants, but it's a wonder how upset he still might be.

Few who follow the draft closely would suggest Bryant is on the same level as, say, Mike Evans, but if anyone expected the Steelers to land Evans - who went seventh overall to Tampa Bay - they may as well expect the impossible as well.

To Roethlisberger's credit, he admits he simply got caught up with media opinion, and without further elaboration, it's unclear whether that means he was disappointed with either player the team took, or if he felt there was a better player available with any of those picks. But he's putting it behind him and working with the guys the Steelers took.

Hopefully it won't come up in contract negotiations.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/5/28/5757160/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-comments-draft-contract-2014[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL... the media strikes again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Boy the media sure can paint Ben and Tomlin like passive aggressive little girls.

It was easier when they had Hines around to say things like "Tom Brady and Peyton Manning never ask for tall WRs."

Legend

User Info Menu

He may have wanted a weapon better than Bryant, and I don't blame him. But, I think Archer will help out our O quite a bit.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

What kind of reporting is this? Am I the only one that thinks this article provided zero informative information or was it that cryptic?

Legend

User Info Menu

Im with you Steelz...
    Perhaps sickbeats wrote that article?

Legend

User Info Menu

This definitely sounds weird to me... maybe Ben thought we would move up to get Evans? LOL..

I guess this means he has no faith in Wheaton, Moyer, Justin Brown, Moore, Bryant, Heyward Bay, etc...

What hell did Ben expect given how bad our defense was last year? He must lurk in here

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great. an article about an article that adds nothing to the conversation but cryptic hearsay with no context. thanks alan robinson!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    He may have wanted a weapon better than Bryant, and I don't blame him. But, I think Archer will help out our O quite a bit.
    Ben has 10 WR's on the roster right now... well, it feels like 10. If he thought we were going to turn into Detroit in his 10th year he needs to put the Pabst down. How could a franchise QB be this gullable at this point in his career? I think this is Ben using a bit of sarcasm on the media for trying to tell him what he said... when he didnt say it.

Legend

User Info Menu

ben is no real fan because he didnt love every pick.
    ben doesnt know anything about football because he didnt love every pick
    ben should go play for another team because he didnt love every pick
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown