Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 114

Thread: What level of celebrations bother you by Steelers?

  1. #61
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Uh....Aaron Rodgers, tiger woods, LeBron james, klay Matthews, Dion sanders, etc etc.... Peyton and brady do not get the most endorsements. The market does not look for humble football players to sell product, they look for guys who people know and will identify with their product. Peyton manning gets endorsements because of his personality and his aww shucks attitude that people can identify with.

    What do Tiger Woods and Lebron James have to do with the NFL?

    I've recently seen a list of the top NFL players as far as endorsements go and the guys at the top of the list were Peyton, Brady, Brees, Wilson, and Rodgers.

    Of those top 5 guys, 1 has a celebration - Aaron Rodgers. It's him quickly putting on a title belt. It's relatively quick. Not real over the top as far as celebrations go. And I've heard him say the whole reason behind it was he started doing it in practice when Favre was the QB and he was on the scout team. And he did it to get the scout team motivated to practice harder. So it actually had a positive team first reason behind it. Something he was doing long before he was a starting QB. Doing it on the practice field where no one but his teammates saw it.

    So the top 5 guys get endorsements because of their athletic accomplishments. Not their celebrations.

    Actually you make the same point with Tiger and Lebron even though they have nothing to do with football. They get endorsements because of their athletic talent. They don't need theatrics.

    If celebrations mattered, the top guys in terms of endorsements would be WWE superstars. Unfortunately they aren't.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    AB already has a jersey in Canton? My kind sir you engage hyperbole.
    He does have a jersey in Canton...

    http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...sey-to-Canton/

    He does not have a bust of his head there, though...

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You just happened to be the one I responded to about Heath. It wasn't directed to YOU and apologies if it came off that way because I quoted you. My response is directed at EVERYBODY who says "be more like Heath" LOL.
    WELL, if it was directed at "EVERYBODY" wasn't it also directed at me? Or am I missing something?

    But to what seems to be your main point, that if someone says, "Be more like Heath" they are giving nod and wink support to racism ... Sorry dude, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but going around reflexively bleating things like that probably does more to hurt the anti-racism cause than help it. A connection between that statement and racism is just as weak and wrong as saying someone had to be racist against *whites* if they said, "Why can't Heath get YAC like AB?". Ludakris in either case, and it would be easy to excuse a legitimate target who could benefit from some attitude changes from saying, "If this guy who is calling me out makes such little sense, why should I even begin to listen to other fools with the same message, bring me a beer, Stella".


    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This isn't the first time I've spoken on this and I will continue to do so when it comes up ...
    Fair enough, choices are to leave the board, stay and suffer in silence, or speak up, and I've got no problem with someone speaking up. But the basic premise has to be right, and the one you seem to make (that saying, 'Why can't AB be more like Heath' doesn't just mean someone doesn't like excessive celebration, it means they hate blacks) is (IMO) not only incorrect, but incorrect in an out-of-line, inflammatory, accusatory, and troll-like fashion.

    Except for that part, nice post!

    ("Except for that part, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?")

    SASF


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  4. #64
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,332
    Just my .02$ on the whole celebration issue. What I've seen a lot of is the statement that it's entertainment and so, let them entertain and that's fine. However, when I first started watching the NFL circa 1970 football was about football and not entertainment and to me it still should be about football. I watch because it gets my adrenaline flowing, I love watching team sports and in some dark place I still wish it was about the football and not entertainment. To me entertainment is a movie, a play, the symphony, a concert, etc and a sporting event should be about the competition and not entertainment. I am entertained by football, but it's the passion, the camaraderie of teammates, the wanting to win and the in game strategies that entertain me, not celebrations, look at me, etc.

    So, as has been stated, I have options, watch the entertainment (since, obviously, it has become less about the game than entertainment) or don't. I still watch, so I don't complain about the "look what I just did" mentality, I may not like it, but I watch and I still hold on to the archaic or romantic belief that the competition is more important than the entertaining, when I lose that I won't watch.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #65
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,667
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What do Tiger Woods and Lebron James have to do with the NFL?

    I've recently seen a list of the top NFL players as far as endorsements go and the guys at the top of the list were Peyton, Brady, Brees, Wilson, and Rodgers.

    Of those top 5 guys, 1 has a celebration - Aaron Rodgers. It's him quickly putting on a title belt. It's relatively quick. Not real over the top as far as celebrations go. And I've heard him say the whole reason behind it was he started doing it in practice when Favre was the QB and he was on the scout team. And he did it to get the scout team motivated to practice harder. So it actually had a positive team first reason behind it. Something he was doing long before he was a starting QB. Doing it on the practice field where no one but his teammates saw it.

    So the top 5 guys get endorsements because of their athletic accomplishments. Not their celebrations.

    Actually you make the same point with Tiger and Lebron even though they have nothing to do with football. They get endorsements because of their athletic talent. They don't need theatrics.

    If celebrations mattered, the top guys in terms of endorsements would be WWE superstars. Unfortunately they aren't.
    Brady celebrates A LOT.. he may not have a signature move but he does a ton of obnoxious stuff.

    .and TO and Ocho are old... everyone leaves the game. Peyton, Brady, their time will come as well.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.

  6. #66
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,667
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    WELL, if it was directed at "EVERYBODY" wasn't it also directed at me? Or am I missing something?

    But to what seems to be your main point, that if someone says, "Be more like Heath" they are giving nod and wink support to racism ... Sorry dude, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but going around reflexively bleating things like that probably does more to hurt the anti-racism cause than help it. A connection between that statement and racism is just as weak and wrong as saying someone had to be racist against *whites* if they said, "Why can't Heath get YAC like AB?". Ludakris in either case, and it would be easy to excuse a legitimate target who could benefit from some attitude changes from saying, "If this guy who is calling me out makes such little sense, why should I even begin to listen to other fools with the same message, bring me a beer, Stella".




    Fair enough, choices are to leave the board, stay and suffer in silence, or speak up, and I've got no problem with someone speaking up. But the basic premise has to be right, and the one you seem to make (that saying, 'Why can't AB be more like Heath' doesn't just mean someone doesn't like excessive celebration, it means they hate blacks) is (IMO) not only incorrect, but incorrect in an out-of-line, inflammatory, accusatory, and troll-like fashion.

    Except for that part, nice post!

    ("Except for that part, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?")

    SASF
    Never said it was racism... speaking on race doesn't make an issue racism.

    If you guys said cut players or only draft Heaths then I would say it was racism.

    ..and my premise doesn't have to be right in your eyes... it's MY opinion

    you guys gave yours.. I'm giving mine.

    If I thought you guys were racist I wouldn't be here...

    all I'm saying is it bothers ME when people say "be more like Heath" and I gave my reasons why.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-30-2014 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #67
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Uh....Aaron Rodgers, tiger woods, LeBron james, klay Matthews, Dion sanders, etc etc.... Peyton and brady do not get the most endorsements. The market does not look for humble football players to sell product, they look for guys who people know and will identify with their product. Peyton manning gets endorsements because of his personality and his aww shucks attitude that people can identify with.
    Peyton get's endorsements because he is a GREAT actor and funny as hell... sure he is popular because he slings the rock but the guy is a natural when the camera comes on. his SNL skits were hilarious

  8. #68
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    AB already has a jersey in Canton? My kind sir you engage hyperbole.
    Damn Shawn.. first Moye is a beast, Brown may take Bryant's spot and you don't know about AB having a jersey in Canton.

    Do better

  9. #69
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,457
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Brady celebrates A LOT.. he may not have a signature move but he does a ton of obnoxious stuff.
    I don't think anyone cares about players naturally celebrating and being excited. But they hate the premeditated first down move, sack dance, TD celebration.

  10. #70
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,457
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

    .and TO and Ocho are old... everyone leaves the game.
    But you're the one that made the argument that the theatrics and celebration will get guys noticed and endorsements after they're done playing. Chad and TO are the poster children of me first celebrations. What has it gotten them?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •